TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Converting Version 18 to a format that can be opened by version 15
Read 1456 times
* June 11, 2011, 09:25:23 PM
I have been working on a drawing with a trial copy of version 18 and have run out of time.  Unfortunately I have found so many problems in the new version that I think it would be a mistake to purchase the upgrade.  My current problem is that version 15 reports that the files I have been working on in 18 are corrupt.  I've tried saving as version 17 and AutoCAD formats but version 15 has never succeeded in opening a file saved by version 18.

Have other had the same problem?  Found a solution? Is my only option to recreate the entire project?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Joe Yoder

* June 12, 2011, 12:21:38 AM
Save your V18 TCW file in a DWG format. When saving as DWG, click on the "Setup" button and choose one of the available formats from "AutoCAD 2007/2009" or earlier. Many have found "AutoCAD 2000" to be a good all around format. I hope this option is still available for you.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

June 12, 2011, 12:24:58 AM
Hello Joe.....
Can you tell us the problems you are having with 18?
Have you tried coping the graphics to your clipboard and pasting them into 15?

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* June 13, 2011, 01:38:27 PM
I can't open version 18 any more since the free trial has run out.  I kept thinking I would have my drawings complete before the trial was up but kept running into things that almost worked (close enough to keep me trying again and again.)  Hindsight shows clearly that I should have checked out the conversion before investing so much time into trying to complete it in version 18.

The final problems I encountered were that I couldn't get the wall top modification to work (more than the one time it did while my graphic was messed up.)

Before that, I was placing a 3x3 array of picture windows in a 17 foot first story wall over a basement.  I had a number of named workplanes defined including "Basement ceiling" and "First floor."  The windows were all supposed to be placed on the First floor workplane but some of them insisted on being placed on the Basement ceiling workplane instead.  I tried re-placing the windows with the proper workplane active, moving them to the correct workplane, reloading the file, reloading the program etc.  Nothing I tried put the windows where I wanted them.  I finally adjusted the height of the sills to have them appear where they belonged.  My basis for trying to make things work the way they should is to avoid the "house of card effect" that occurs when one starts propping things up to make them work.

I found myself repeatedly closing and reopening my project or even reloading the program.  Sometimes it worked but often it didn't.  It is probably a good thing that the trial ran out so that I don't waste any more time trying to use it.  It will be interesting to see if version 15.2 is more reliable.

Thanks for your interest,

Joe yoder