TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

3D thread will not snap
Read 1291 times
* June 13, 2011, 05:43:44 AM
I am using pro plat. 17.2,  when I try to use the 3D thread tool it will not snap for any of the selected snaps.  Also when trying to make 1/8 inch pipe threads the pitch is wrong.  All threads are measured in TPI (threads per inch) or threads per mm.  1/8 inch pipe thread is 27 TPI but if you put 27 in the pitch selection the thread that is created is not 27 TPI.  Are these both known problems with 17.2 or am I doing something wrong?

* June 13, 2011, 06:09:22 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the "3D thread tool it will not Snap". Snaps aren't used for the Thread tool... since there is nothing to snap to. You select the end of your hole or shaft, and then select the side of your hole or shaft, and enter what you want in the IB inputs.

As far as the correct pitch... I've never really looked that closely... as I don't use the tool that often.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* June 13, 2011, 06:11:18 AM
Set drawing for Imperial not Metric.And for the pitch selection see if .037 instead of 27.TPI is equal to how many threads to the inch.Pitch is the distance from one apex to other.As for questions regarding if these are known problem with 17.2.No it depends on how your are creating your thread specifically which tools are you're using to make the thread?Ideally revolve tool would suit this better.There are several methods in processing a 3d thread.TC will do excellent job in making pipe threads.Sample images for comparison at the following link.If possible post your tcw. file more likely some will look it over for you.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,5590.msg31861.html#msg31861
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:49:35 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* June 13, 2011, 06:57:47 AM
.037 works nicely.  Thank you.  The reason I was trying to use a snap is because I was threading just the top 5/8 inch of a 3/16 hole that was already there.  I got it to work.  Thank you guys for all your help!

* June 13, 2011, 09:42:53 AM
I am using pro plat. 17.2,  when I try to use the 3D thread tool it will not snap for any of the selected snaps.  Also when trying to make 1/8 inch pipe threads the pitch is wrong.  All threads are measured in TPI (threads per inch) or threads per mm.  1/8 inch pipe thread is 27 TPI but if you put 27 in the pitch selection the thread that is created is not 27 TPI.  Are these both known problems with 17.2 or am I doing something wrong?

The pitch is 1/27 of an inch: 0.0370" (to the nearest ten-thousandth).

If you're trying to make an accurate model of a tapered pipe thread, the 3D Thread tool can't handle that, because it requires a cylindrical object. Try Revolving a profile of the thread cross section and adjusting the Taper Angle.

Henry H