TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

TurboCAD User Magazine
Read 9928 times
December 08, 2010, 07:05:39 AM
Hi all,

I have been thinking about creating a single issue of a magazine (electronic format) call TurboCAD User. Why you ask? A couple reasons - first I want to have a goal to work towards as I explore the realm of magazine design and secondly, I think it might be fun. The end result might make a nice keepsake for the members of our community.

What I would need from the TurboCAD community is content. I would like to feature some users. I would like to create ads for companies that utilize TurboCAD. I would like to have an interview with Bob or Dave about IMSI/Design. I would even consider highlighting what some TC users do for hobbies, say a spread on Winston's Safari trips. Who wouldn't like to know more about our members and get to know them a bit better.

I don't have all the ideas hammered out in my mind yet, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I might post a few requests, but I will be more specific about what I want/need. Some may even get emails with specific requests. So keep an open mind and if you have something that you think might make for good content shoot me an email.

December 08, 2010, 09:29:05 AM
Sounds like a winner 8)

With you a leading, others will follow.....

I have idea for a topic, "Woes of a beginner"...  Pitfalls to avoid....

I just came up with a new phrase,       "CST"    " click saving tip"   maybe it will catch on...  They all Gotta start somewhere.

Maybe a topic "Members favorite CST's".

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* December 08, 2010, 10:03:04 AM
Great idea Don.  Keep us posted

Alan, I thought of something that struck me as funny the other day.

I was checking out a chatroom for an animation program the other day and I saw the frequent use of the term noob.

I am familiar with oob, as in Out Of Box.   So, I assumed that noob, actually meant New Out Of Box.  Then, since I am often forced to entertain myself, the notion came to me that I must be Super New Out Of Box or snoob, since I did not have a clue what they were talking about.

Anyway, I thought it was funny.  snoob, has a nice ring to it, don't you think?  Even if it does have an extra o.  :D

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

December 08, 2010, 10:09:17 AM
"noob" is a short-form of "newby", referring to a "new user".  Adding 'y' is commonly done to make a familiar nickname (as well as being the first letter in a pronounced transliteration of "user"); I expect the 'b' was added because "newy" was too close to "gooey".   ;)

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 08, 2010, 10:15:01 AM
I'm curious Jeff is there a something for the pro or experience user?

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

December 08, 2010, 10:22:13 AM
I'm curious Jeff is there a something for the pro or experience user?

"Sir" works.   ;)

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

December 08, 2010, 10:33:16 AM
Alan, I thought of something that struck me as funny the other day.

I just did a search and "CST"  also stands for "central standard time"  oh well, we'll see....

Alan H.

* December 08, 2010, 10:56:07 AM
"noob" is a short-form of "newby", referring to a "new user".  Adding 'y' is commonly done to make a familiar nickname (as well as being the first letter in a pronounced transliteration of "user"); I expect the 'b' was added because "newy" was too close to "gooey".   ;)

Jeff

I actually kind of figured that I had it all messed up.  That was part of what made it seem funny to me.

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Alan, your idea is still a good one, no matter what time zone it is in.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* December 08, 2010, 01:34:19 PM
I think this would be a really good idea. Specially if you could maybe do something along the lines of a
TurboCad and AutoCad pro's and con's comparison would be a really good article.

I know the forum has a tips and tricks section, that would be neat in there also.
Such as  Inserting Drafting Objects Into Papaerspace, Modelspace and Paperspace and maybe some hidden ways of doing things.

I dont know, but it sounds like a winner.

Windows 7, TurboCad ver 15.2

December 08, 2010, 01:54:23 PM
This topic gives me an idea......

How about new category, "off topic", I know "the powers to be" ask us to only discuss, well here's a quote......

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD."

I know it's IMSI's Fourm, and I don't think they have censored this stuff, but it's the users that make this forum what it is.

So, if we want to talk: cameras, computers, dogs, hobbies, woodworking, models (cars boats planes..) web pages or anything not related to cad, with other turbo cad users, we would have an appropriate category.  

Opinions?

Alan H.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:55:58 PM by Alan H. »

* December 08, 2010, 02:40:20 PM
This topic gives me an idea......How about new category, "off topic", Opinions?
Alan H.
Nay! normally in General Discussions would suit this area.Occasion off the topic doesn't hurt to break up sometimes.But there can or has been overkill of irrelevant chatter recently.I guessing one counting the stars. ;D

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* December 08, 2010, 04:51:24 PM

I have been thinking about creating a single issue of a magazine (electronic format) call TurboCAD User.

What are you gonna do about a centerfold?  ;-)

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

December 08, 2010, 05:54:59 PM
Nay! normally in General Discussions would suit this area.Occasion off the topic doesn't hurt to break up sometimes.But there can or has been overkill of irrelevant chatter recently.I guessing one counting the stars. ;D

You're right, we have the "general discussion", as it is, the readers can sort through what's relevant.  (Irrelevant to?) The posters, readers or turboCad?

I don't know what you mean about counting stars, but I sure reach for them.... :)

Alan H.

December 08, 2010, 05:59:17 PM
Great idea Don. I imagine most folks would be willing to help out as much as possible.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* December 09, 2010, 01:12:41 PM
Great idea Don. I imagine most folks would be willing to help out as much as possible.
??? Sounds excellent.  Would be very interesting. Thanks  George T    V17.2 Deluxe

* December 09, 2010, 04:18:08 PM
Excellent idea Don!  I agree with Brad,  don't know what I would have to offer, but I am willing anyway.

I think it would be kind of neat to learn more about some of the members.

I don't think however that I would want to be the centerfold.   :D

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* December 09, 2010, 08:17:40 PM
"I just did a search and "CST"  also stands for "central standard time"  oh well, we'll see...."

Alan H

I still like your term. 

BTW, as you found  "central standard time" in a search, what time zone are you in?  If I may ask.

I do hope that the term gets used in your context a few times though, otherwise I'll forget what it means and be left wondering why you're talking about a shortcut for my time zone. ;D

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2

December 09, 2010, 10:28:13 PM
what time zone are you in?

Pacific standard time, Pasadena California.  On the map, that's the red area.

The green zone is central standard time.

Dan, where do you call home?

Don C.  Any idea why the "time zone lines" go wacky in Canada,(Blue section) Maybe cause of  mountain's?  (Don lives in Canada)
-------------------------------------------------
"CST", Use "keep aspect ratio" to resize and rescale objects.
-------------------------------------------------
Back on topic

These might be obvious....

The turbocad challenges

The art work from the previous version (boxes?)

The history of turbocad (if not covered in the interviews)

Seems like" the covers" is the most delicate choice.(Hardest decision)

Alan H.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:37:16 PM by Alan H. »

* December 10, 2010, 03:36:51 PM
Alan,

I hail from Eau Claire Wisconsin:  Central Standard Time.  Getting ready for a big (for us) snowstorm, around 12" worth.

Nice "CST" I usually forget about that one.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2

December 10, 2010, 04:24:10 PM
I hail from Eau Claire Wisconsin:  Central Standard Time. 

Well, then it's easy to remember "CST"

Small world.....

On my dad's side, I think its six generations of kin folk been living in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Seven out of my dad's nine siblings retired in Marshfield.(Well almost, two are in Spencer)
-------------------------------------------
"CST"(Click saving tip)  the "align commands" efficiently rearranges objects.(If you haven't, try it ;))
-------------------------------------------

Alan H.

December 10, 2010, 04:44:16 PM
John B "What are you gonna do about a centerfold?  ;-)" Northern California BSA Owners Club has one, she is not really a center fold but more a 'Agony Aunt' her name 'Magee Neato' she has some very note worthy life experiences to share with readers and their problems. Perhaps Don could do something along those lines also?

Seriously Don, yeah, good idea. I would be keen.

Wooddan, your talking of 12" of snow. I got this today from a chap in the UK where they had 2 feet of snow. See image.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:50:00 PM by Steve The Kiwi »

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

December 10, 2010, 05:59:42 PM
Wow, did some of you guys ever do a number on this thread - highjackers, I guess they'd call you. Thanks to those who gave support and suggestions. The rest of you just gotta get a life :-)

I am not sure what I have done opening this can of worms, but I will work at it as time permits. It might be one of those projects that takes considerable time, but I think it will be fun. I will keep you posted.

December 10, 2010, 08:00:40 PM
Wow, did some of you guys ever do a number on this thread - highjackers,

Don,

Sorry, My bad...... I started it.
I'll try to stay on topic. :-[  
I was the worst hijacker

Thanks to those who gave support and suggestions.

(I made both list) ;)
You're welcome, I try to help...

Your credentials are impeccable, you're the man.....

Thanks for your efforts

Alan H.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:19:53 PM by Alan H. »

* December 10, 2010, 09:00:29 PM
'Magee Neato'

Speaking of centerfolds, I found this tame website that is much about cad and it has centerfolds in it's name.  I'll post a picture of Magee Neato when NCBSAOC send it.

http://www.3dcenterfold.info/

Cheers,

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 10, 2010, 10:46:51 PM
Don,

My apologies also, I did not mean to aid in the hijacking.  My last post was indeed meant to be the last of my contribution of the hijack.  Although I must admit it's easy to do.

Back to topic:

Wow, did some of you guys ever do a number on this thread - highjackers, I guess they'd call you. Thanks to those who gave support and suggestions. The rest of you just gotta get a life :-)

I am not sure what I have done opening this can of worms, but I will work at it as time permits. It might be one of those projects that takes considerable time, but I think it will be fun. I will keep you posted.

One of my first thoughts on the E-magazine (besides "what a cool idea") especially after reading all the great ideas you have already, was that this sounds like a very time consuming, ambitious project.  Most magazines (both printed and electronic) have teams of people to accomplish this.  Yes I know they do more than one issue, my point is the amount of work involved.  I then realized that you are obviously not afraid of work, as it must also take considerable time to create all of your tutorials.  I know from experience that quality work does not just happen, it takes time.  Not to mention the time you have invested in becoming proficient in TC as well as the other programs.  When I think about all of this, seeing your impressive models and renders,  combined with all the freelance design work you also do, I wonder how you can do it all.

So then I concluded if anyone is suited to this kind of project, it would be you.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Dan

P.S.  the centerfold thing made me chuckle.

I would also say from the reaction so far, there are plenty of us excited to see this project progress.

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2

December 13, 2010, 03:35:20 PM
Gonna be a big deal to do, Don, but I'd be happy to contribute.

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

* December 15, 2010, 09:59:58 AM
Well, I have a photo of Maggie Neato and I have permission from the NCBSAOC to post it but it's not the collection of motorcycle parts made from a cad program that I expected.  It's a real, live blond with long hair standing next to a motorcycle dressed in a bikini.   It's probably not what Don had in mind for the magazine centerfold or TurboCad mascot, whatever.  I'll post it on request.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 15, 2010, 10:35:35 AM
It's a real, live blond with long hair standing next to a motorcycle dressed in a bikini.  John B.
Oh Shucks!! I was hoping to see something nice with pasties ;D

* December 15, 2010, 05:45:33 PM
Well, I have a photo of Maggie Neato and I have permission from the NCBSAOC to post it but it's not the collection of motorcycle parts made from a cad program that I expected.  It's a real, live blond with long hair standing next to a motorcycle dressed in a bikini.   It's probably not what Don had in mind for the magazine centerfold or TurboCad mascot, whatever.  I'll post it on request.

John B.

Weird. But if that's what turns ya on...

Henry H

* January 06, 2011, 12:52:56 AM
Good Morning Don
I am a newbie - over Xmas to TCAD but have used AutoCad LT 2004 since its issue.

The idea of a user magazine is good

45 years agao when I started in engineering Spirax Sarco produced a series of topic leaflets which addressed problems that steam/condenstae/heating engineers frequently asked about - These leaflets eventually became the fount of knowledge for engineers in that field and equally I'm sure helped build up Spirax's busines.

How about incorporating that concept into you Magazine - (Newsletter) addressing the TurboCad common problems but also include a simple training guide starting at 'Opening The Box and Setting up the Programme'.

Regards

Gordon Thompson
tgthompson@btinternet.com