TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

TurboCAD 3D Thread & Unfold Tools
Read 6980 times
* May 25, 2010, 03:27:29 AM

Hello All,
First time posting - I’ve a few questions regarding  the newer versions of Turbo Cad.

Been using the product in its various incarnations for along time now (Since Ver8Pro - My Current being Ver14 Pro). I’ve only ever really done 2D Ortho’s etc and only recently started Drawing 3D components and projecting my views from the drafting pallet etc. I’ve found turbo Cad to largely be very very good with a few frustrating points, and am now looking at upgrading to the soon to be released v17 Pro Platinum - I’ve just got to justify to myself that its a large enough step forward from what I’m currently using  and that it will have an effect on what I’m doing enough to warrant the investment.   

# 3D Thread Tool - Bare in mind I’m still using  V14, It seems very limited in that its only external thread & the only inputs of consequence that seem able to be defined are the External major dia, the length of the threaded section, and the thread pitch i.e. Tpi. (Now please feel free to intervene at any time, Ive probably overlooked something.) Ideally you’d want to be able to define the Minor Dia & Thread form etc to replicate any of the many standards in existence. Plus just as many inputs for internal thread as well. I’ve been getting around the internal thread issue just by 3D subtracting a portion of external thread from a solid entity.
I may be completely barking up the wrong tree here - Perhaps other people achieve square form/ acme threads etc using twisted 3D extrudes?
Have revisions along these lines been made to recent versions? Or is it part of the mechanical add-on?   

#Unfold Tool - I also have the requirement  to do a lot of geometrical development, and I’ve noticed mentioned in subsequent versions (post V14) There is an “Unfold Tool”. Can someone please explain to me the functions / capabilities of this tool.
Is it capable of taking 3D Shapes, Extrusions, Transition Pieces etc and laying them flat into 2D drafted patterns / “Stretch-Outs” (geometric development) ie “Sheet Metal Style“.
Until now I’ve worked them out and done them all manually - and it would be absolutely brilliant if it served this purpose - But Ive probably misinterpreted the tools function.

#Symbols - Does anyone know if the symbols library contain the first & third angle Projection Symbols? Because Ive searched on numerous occasions with out luck.

Any info would be much abbliged
Regards
GM

* May 25, 2010, 10:00:54 AM
Brian

I would suggest that you download the V17 Platinum trial version.  That is probalbly the best way to see if it can do exactly what you are interested in.  The platinum version runs for 30 days, so it should give you enough time to sort things out.

A combination of trying out the new version and posting here should get you the info you want.

An FYI, make sure that you get the correct codes to run the platinum version.  If it does not show up as the platinum version contact tech support and they should be able help you out.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* May 25, 2010, 02:19:34 PM
There's a new Thread tool, which can make "Schematic," "Simple," or "Genuine" 3D threads of whatever pitch, hand, and thread length you specify -- but the best it can do is a generic Vee thread form. I use the Revolve tool for Acme or custom thread profiles.

Two dfferent Unfold tools are now available. "Unbend Sheet" will straighten "bent" sheet metal objects, provided they were constructed to satisfy some idiosyncrasies of the tool. It's a bit buggy in that it will not return the correct flat-pattern dimensions when reverse bends are present and the neutral axis is displaced from the central plane of the sheet. It is also incapable of automatically displaying It cannot display the bend lines on the flattened piece; you must do it manually. The other tool ("Unfold Face") will flatten developable faces of an object (e.g., cones) but will address only one face at a time. Using these tools to create a flat pattern of a transition piece or something similar is possible but laborious.

Henry H
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:05:02 PM by Henry Hubich »

* June 04, 2010, 04:14:56 AM
Thankyou for your replies, Ive followed your advice downloading the trial version - it must still only be ordinary pro version though, rather than the platinum -as there are still functions that are "greyed out".
The thread tool seems no different to the V14 pro ive been using previous (still limited to your 60 degree thread forms) the only new thing seems to be that you can set thread pitch constraints etc and then highlight cylindrical objects for the thread to be cut around.
I had guessed that there would be a way to model any thread form via revolves or twisted extrusions, but never looked that closely into it.  Henry confirmed this in his post, can anyone outline quickly for me how this is done & any tips or tricks to it?

The Unfold tool I was also interested in for my geometric development / sheet metal patterns etc was also omitted from the trial version Im using. (Ill contact tech support like Rod suggested to see what options I've got)
Without having used it, Ive just come upon the tutorial Henry published on using the tool to reinstate the fold lines and it looks to be the type of thing I'm after and that it can be made to work for my purpose. My only issue will arise from the skeletons / wire frames turbocad uses to contruct its transitions. ie using a lofting tool to create a square-to-round I've noticed it follows a different convention making the radial line developments that form the corners with few segments than what would be used if fabricating the piece manually in actual practice (so I dont think it can represent a true shape; but I will look into this further and have a go with the actual tool when I sort the trial version out.). I intend to buy the full version through the offer they sent out in the next week or so anyway.
again thanks for your input and any further is still welcomed
regards
GM
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:19:43 AM by BrianLara400* »

* June 04, 2010, 10:49:18 AM
HI - no idea if this will help or not, something I did years ago, but seem to have lost the actual file, anyway the same principal can be used for any shaped straight thread.

http://www.woodturningcad.co.uk/3dthread.html

Andy

* June 04, 2010, 01:34:08 PM
Brian

Check under help, About TurboCAD and if it does not say Platinum then you need the codes to activate the platinum version.

You should get the full 30 days from the time that the Platinum version is activated by the proper codes.

I also found that the original Platinum codes that I used to install my version had bugs that were fixed when I received the correct codes for Platinum.

Doesn't have to make sense, it just seems to work that way.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* June 04, 2010, 06:04:45 PM
The unbend tool only works on cylindrical bends with coaxial tangency into other faces.  The unfold face tool works on single curvature faces only, ie conics, strictly developable ruled surfaces, in addition the face has to be discontiuous, ie you have to interrupt a cone or cylinder's face with a split or protrusion for it to be unfolded.  If your object is shelled, unfold face will sometimes work on the original side of the shell, but not on the offset face.   Neither are useable for lofted surfaces.  They're not "sheet metal tools" in the sense of a software package that would be used solely for that purpose, and they don't develop any compound curvature surface.

Spirals and helices can be produced from cones, revolves or sweeps/extrusions, depending on parameters, so it'd be simplistic to point you in one direction.  Twist and pitch parameters are generally accessible in the properties dialogues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:11:09 PM by murray dickinson »

* June 09, 2010, 01:14:51 AM
Neither are useable for lofted surfaces.  
so realistically "square to round" and all the transition peices are out of the question. Leaving turbocad with the capability to produce all the ones that are easy'ish and probably quicker to do by hand.
Perhaps they could look at this unfold tool develop it a fair bit further fot release in a few versions time.

Before I make this investment in the new Turbo Cad I’ve a few more questions  and observations id like some guidance with. I have been drawing up the 3D plans for a mechanical press design of mine, featuring some pretty extensive lead screws. All told probably including just under 6 lineal metres of 1½” Acme thread. I have worked out how to do this using the rotate tool, so have been using this but have found that with just a tiny amount (300mm) of this thread modelled that it causes the program and computer to lag/fatigue very badly in just the basic rendering mode, to the point were the program crashed on a couple of occasions.   The computer I bought about 3 months ago, pretty much for my drawing and as far as I was aware It should have been ample to my needs (I’m no computer technician though)
*I’m just wondering if going off the specs provided below, people could see if this is a source of some problems?
*Or if its something inherent to the program, when modelling thread?
*Is anyone aware of any methods to perform the operation using less memory?
*Or is there a way that once lengths of thread are created (or any other object) , that I can  “de-nature” them to occupy less memory? I wouldn’t be concerned if this meant the object was un-editable, or surrendered some properties as long as it still rendered alright.
*In previous versions there were “Mechanical” Add-ons, but there is no-such listing that I can find for the new V.17 - Has this and its features been integrated into the pro version i.e Platinum?
*I’m also looking at Cad Fundamentals 3D “Mechanical” training DVD; is this actually specific to the v17 version? has anyone actually used this and benefited from it? Does it cover exactly the same stuff as what’s contained in the “TURBOCAD 3D TRAINING GUIDE”?

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 7.2 5.5
  Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.2
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 5.9
Gaming graphics 3582 MB Total available graphics memory 5.5
Primary hard disk 727GB Free (918GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
  Model NS889AA-ABG m9790a
  Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
  System type 64-bit operating system
  Number of processor cores 4

Storage   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 932 GB
  Disk partition (C:) 727 GB Free (918 GB Total)
  Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (14 GB Total)
  Media drive (E:) CD/DVD
  Media drive (F:) CD/DVD

Graphics   

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 230
  Total available graphics memory 3582 MB
        Dedicated graphics memory 1536 MB
        Dedicated system memory 0 MB
        Shared system memory 2046 MB
  Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.8223
  Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
  DirectX version DirectX 10

Network   

Network Adapter USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor

* June 09, 2010, 10:17:51 AM
Neither are useable for lofted surfaces.  
so realistically "square to round" and all the transition peices are out of the question.

Not so. They're just a bit tricky ;-)

Henry H

* June 11, 2010, 06:59:44 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum so I say hello to all TurboCAD users. :)

I know that in version 16 the Unfold and Unbend functions came with the Pro Platinum version and I know that they are available in version 17 Pro Platinum too but in version 16 you could add these two functions to the Pro version through the mechanical add-on. Does anybody know if this add-on will be available for the 17 Pro version which will allow the 17 Pro version to have Unbend and Unfold?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:01:16 AM by PixelOz »

June 11, 2010, 10:27:01 AM
In TurboCAD Pro versions 14, 15 & 16 (probably more, but I started with V14), there were separate Mechanical and Architectural add-ons.  If you got both, you had the Platinum version.

For V17, there is only the Platinum add-on providing the additional Mechanical and Architectural tools).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 11, 2010, 11:50:57 AM
That is what I wanted to know, thanks for the answer Jeff.

But the way you said it, do you mean that also you can upgrade the Pro version to the Platinum version afterward through a Platinum Upgrade package? Do you think that something like that will be available later?

I saw that there is an upgrade for TurboCAD Pro 16 to Pro 17 and another to Pro 17 Platinum. I wonder if that last one can be used to upgrade the Pro 17 to the Pro Platinum 17, there must be a way to do it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:11:44 PM by PixelOz »

June 12, 2010, 10:55:02 AM
Yes, you can buy the Platinum upgrade at a later time.  It is just a new pair of Activation Code and Serial Number to turn on the features that are already in the installed software.

It will be e-mailed to you and you just enter them in the About TurboCAD item under the Help menu.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 15, 2010, 09:15:26 PM
Ahh excellent, thank you Jeff, that is what I wanted to know. :)