TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

subtracting a block
Read 3306 times
* June 12, 2010, 08:11:31 AM
I am unable to subtract a 3d block.  My objective is a series of holes in a conical surface (a 100 hole spray nozzle).   I am trying to use a block where I can change orientation of all holes at once (because we are still experimenting in the lab with various hole angles).

It would be nice to use the insert hole method but I am working on a conical surface and it appears the insert hole only works on planes (any advice?).  So I am resorting to making the holes as subtracted 3-d circles from the solid cone.  that approach is doable but then I apparently can't subtract the 3-d circles as a group - resulting in selecting each 3-d circle individually which is a serious pain with the 100 holes.  Plus changing the angle requires editing individual holes.

Am I missing something?  I will appreciate suggestions.  Thanks.

June 12, 2010, 11:04:20 AM
Your Block object was probably Grouped.  A Group cannot be part of a 3D addition or subtraction.

If this (subtracting a complex object from another object) is something you want to do on a repetitive basis, 3D Add the objects into one complex object instead of making a Group.  They don't have to intersect to be added together.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 12, 2010, 04:50:25 PM
I am unable to subtract a 3d block.  My objective is a series of holes in a conical surface (a 100 hole spray nozzle).   I am trying to use a block where I can change orientation of all holes at once (because we are still experimenting in the lab with various hole angles).

It would be nice to use the insert hole method but I am working on a conical surface and it appears the insert hole only works on planes (any advice?).  So I am resorting to making the holes as subtracted 3-d circles from the solid cone.  that approach is doable but then I apparently can't subtract the 3-d circles as a group - resulting in selecting each 3-d circle individually which is a serious pain with the 100 holes.  Plus changing the angle requires editing individual holes.

The blue circles in the attachment are a region. Would this approach work for you? BTW. The attachment v17 pro

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* June 13, 2010, 01:57:52 AM
If V17's feature pattern tools aren't up to what you want, I'd suggest "propagating" a series of cylinders to create levels of branches as in the picture, the cylinders of each level added.  You can rotate them to stagger, or use differing numbers at each level.  If you use the trees as blocks, you only have to create them once, and your subtraction workload is reduced.

* June 14, 2010, 09:47:23 PM

Here's a possible approach,  a modification of your technique of subtracting 3D circles...

Instead of a 3D circle, create the subtracting object as shown in the attached screenshot. Format the two lines, the circle, the Point, and the Rail Sweep (all of them!) as a Block. Make copies of the Block as needed to put them where the holes should be. (You might not need the vertical line ; I used it to define the center when making a Radial Copy.)

To make the holes: Press Ctrl+T (Select by Type) and select "Block Insertion" from the list; go to Format|Explode. This un-Blocks the Blocks in the drawing area, whereupon you can subtract the Rail Sweeps from your cone. Do NOT close the file at this point.

To change the hole orientation and/or hole profile: Undo the subtract operation; Undo the explode operation; modify the Block as required; repeat the explode and subtract operations.

Henry H

* June 16, 2010, 05:15:08 AM
Another suggestion is to superimpose polygonal cones over the circular one, using inscribed and circumscribed polygons as bases.  Use the outer planes to orient the holes and that poly cone to drill them through,  but use the edges of the inner poly cone's planes to locate the points.  Only one edge need be laid out with the holes.  Intersect the outer poly cone with the shelled circular cone to get a cone with a single line of holes.  Radial array the circular cone about it's central axis to get as many holes radially as your layout requires, then 3D intersect the copies, which will amalgamate them into one, with all the holes located.  The aspect ratio of the polygonal cones will determine the angle of the holes.