TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

May need to look for an alternative answer to 3D drawing...
Read 1062 times
December 11, 2019, 08:51:40 AM
I have just spent >5 hrs trying to "re-build" Turbocad.

Thanks to all your help, I was getting more confident but today I was using a procedure I have been using a lot. Two extrusion followed by a 3D subtraction and failed to do it.

I started with a prrogram repair, no change, then a series of re installs. Alarm bells sounded when the new installation booted with ALL my personal screen layout + last loaded file came up.

Obviously, this was NOT a completely virgin system.... The 3D procedure still failed

I started programing professionally in 1985 , (8bit Assembler in 6502 and 8085) since then Pascal, Delphi, and Wolverine GPS, (stochastic event modelling .and a bit VBasic

In spite of my apparent blundering, I do have programmers mind, I also have considerable experience in design/implement in engineering.

I did a search earlier today on general problems with TCAD and it appears that several folk have found that TCAD has become more fragile/crumbly since new management some years ago.

I have considered the possibility that my PC is faulty, (MS 10 does not help)..

Several folk I know, who use other design systems are starting to sound persuasive!

Any thoughts,..

PS As a pensioner, I would rather not waste the money spent on TCAD so I hope I can avoid spending too much

Thanks again for ALL your patient help

I enclose the file I am working on, you can see I managed to sort out the last problem you helped with

Jim Barr

Using TurboCAD 2019 Deluxe 64 bit since Dec 2019

Best is the enemy of good enough

Barrs Law Of Recursive Futility

If you are smart enough to use one of these...
   ,,, you can probably manage without one!

December 11, 2019, 09:11:36 AM
[Re: May need to look for an alternative answer to 3D drawing...]
Any thoughts,..
Jim Barr

Jim, We have found, more often than not, newer (and the re-learning) TurboCAD users on these forums report suspecting system or program errors or bugs when that simply is not the case.  Even the super intelligent/experienced/otherwise-knowledgeable folks often have this tendency (maybe worse so, due to that described next).

I am not nor have I ever been a programmer.  Nor do I possess the intelligence level of the average engineer.  But I do have the false sense that I am above-average intelligent; and when I was first becoming familiar with and comfortable with TurboCAD (my first and only CAD program, excepting a little stroll with SketchUP), I too had the tendency to think it was the system and/or program at fault.  More often than not, that was not the case.
Years ago I've learned to go about resolving my and others' TurboCAD issues with the mindset that it is not a bug or system program error; it is probably something I/they am/are doing wrong, overlooking, or have not yet found an acceptable workaround for.

Hang in there with a positive mindset!  You'll/we'll get you to full (re-)familiarity if you stick to/with it/us.  Unfortunately, we see a lot of folks that are (re)learning throw in the towel and give up, and ride off into the sunset, never to be heard from again.  Let's hope that isn't the case for you Jim.  You've got this!

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

December 11, 2019, 04:33:41 PM
With 2019, I have noticed a vastly increased likelihood that two objects will not 3D Add or Subtract.  A longer lasting problem (the last couple versions) is that 3D Slice will fail with a 'no intersect' message (obviously not true from looking at the two objects).

Recently, I even created a file where selecting 3D Add resulted in 3D Subtract and vice versa.  This was so entrenched that saving the file for 2017 exhibited the same behavior.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

December 11, 2019, 05:00:54 PM
Is someone going to help Jim with his 3D Subtraction issue in his " Newnose19.tcw" file?

I don't want Jim to lose confidence-- in his fellow TurboCADers, the software, or himself.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 11, 2019, 05:22:23 PM
Is someone going to help Jim with his 3D Subtraction issue in his " Newnose19.tcw" file?

I don't want Jim to lose confidence-- in his fellow TurboCADers, the software, or himself.

I'd be glad to try but I don't know what he wants to subtract from what.

Henry H

December 12, 2019, 05:59:54 AM
I'd be glad to try but I don't know what he wants to subtract from what.

Henry H
Thanks Henry,

Well, I wrote a detailed description of this particular  problem and suddenly had a Homer Simpson moment, "Wait a moment!"

The problem was all mine, I had been working round several warning messages that were a massive clue, Extrude and 3d subtract will not work properly in 2D It is not over but I reckon this awareness may help mitigate my ubiquitous mix of eclectic problems!!!

For the record, here is what I wrote about the problem, a is the large cylinder.   The two extruded circles, a and b are test objects for the Boolean subtract operation.

b is to be removed from a

I have done this procedure enough times succesfully to recognise when it is NOT working.
Normaly, I would select a, (a circle turns red), and then b, (b turns red), then press enter. this used to be reliable
At present, Sometimes, nothing happens when I select a,     OR, b turns red!!!

I Hate problems that are randomly repeated.

IT'S NOT over yet..
I still struggle a bit with workplane vs worldplane, but a problem that may be related in effect is relative position.

For a while I was using 4 extrusions that would latter be combined as 1 object, (maybe not relevant), I had extruded by eye, planning to give exact z dimension later,  however when I then tried to change the z val it simply increased the z pos from 18,5 to 29.434809, without changing the z size.

Incidentally, the x axis "appears" to be the 0 point on the z ruler. The workplane is supposed to be on the worldplane

Earlier today I performed the same procedure on an identical copy of this object set and it functioned as normal!

I fear that I sometimes may try things that inadvertently make an unseen feature. Not much I can do to change that behaviour

Thanks anyway, I have moved further in the right direction.

Best wishes  Jim B

December 12, 2019, 12:41:03 PM
I have had a few emails re more replies regarding my puzzle but they are not showing up on the group webforum...?

Anyway
I still have the problem of setting the z val of an 3D extrusion after making a manual extrusion first. This problem ONLY applies to the  ones "problem extrusions" in the attached drawing.

BTW, this thread has morphed from farewell note to a problem solving exersize, That is good, thank you.
However it dos raise a question which has arisen before.

At what point does etiquette dictate that a new thread should be started.

Maybe this is an example.

In the past (10 yrs ago), I had no problem rendering 3D with appropriate material, (metal wood, blue paint etc.

I am having trouble repeating this, I enabled pallets etc but fail to implement them.

simply naming the procedure/tool needed leaves a big struggle to find them so a simple tree structure  would help

like, hypothetically ,  3D tools/render/material/colour... or suchlike.

Thanks all

December 12, 2019, 12:44:22 PM
Sorry
Re last post, forgot to add the last file

* December 12, 2019, 02:29:46 PM
"I still have the problem of setting the z val of an 3D extrusion after making a manual extrusion first. This problem ONLY applies to the  ones "problem extrusions" in the attached drawing."

You've run into one of TCad's endearing little quirks. Open the Selection Info palette, select one of the problem extrusions, and notice that it's called a "Simple Extrude." Simple Extrudes do behave strangely. To change its height (SizeZ in the Inspector Bar), you can either edit the Height value in the Selection Info palette OR explode the Simple Extrude one time (converting it into an "Extrude") and edit SizeZ in the IBar.

Henry H

December 12, 2019, 03:21:55 PM
However it dos raise a question which has arisen before.

At what point does etiquette dictate that a new thread should be started?

Yes, Forum and  basic human interaction "etiquette" is to be taken into consideration, but also:

I am an organized type fellow.  I like things orderly, systematized, easy to find, etc.
In that vain, I try to start new Topics on these Forums whenever what I want to ask or discuss is not in keeping with or related to the original topic of the thread or to which it has progressed.

Likewise, I am always cognizant in composing my Subjects that they be accurate to the point of the topic, and would be easily found if someone did a Search, using the "Search in topic subjects only" option.  [See edited Subject Line above]

I'd say whenever you wish to post a question, musing, sample, whatever..., start a New Topic thread, or Reply in an existing thread that is on the same topic*.

I typically make great effort to ensure that my posts are fully and easily(?) comprehensible.  I think of Forum posts as I do construction or fabrication plans-- they are a form of communication.  Unfortunately for you fellow Forum members that read all of what I post, I tend to be verbose and am a proficient typist.

______
*There is no "hijacking" threads here.  Just because Bob starts a thread, Joely responds, and Bob and Joely seem to have a conversation going, don't feel like you'd be "hijacking" a Topic thread by interjecting your own responses, opinions, or querys.

Alvin Gregorio

December 12, 2019, 03:34:06 PM
"I still have the problem of setting the z val of an 3D extrusion after making a manual extrusion first. This problem ONLY applies to the  ones "problem extrusions" in the attached drawing."

You've run into one of TCad's endearing little quirks. Open the Selection Info palette, select one of the problem extrusions, and notice that it's called a "Simple Extrude." Simple Extrudes do behave strangely. To change its height (SizeZ in the Inspector Bar), you can either edit the Height value in the Selection Info palette OR explode the Simple Extrude one time (converting it into an "Extrude") and edit SizeZ in the IBar.

Henry H

Jim, Changing a Simple Extrude Height is also available in its Properties window, "Simple Extrude shape" page.  Not that it is preferred, but it is another way of getting there.
I went years without using the Selection Info Palette.  Because of that, I ingrained and still maintain an auto-response habit of selecting something and right-clicking for the Properties window, even though-- if I pause a split-second*-- I'd remember that it is generally quicker* and sometimes better to use the Selection Info Palette.
*I began using CAD-- TurboCAD-- when I was still actively framing (carpentry).  And I used to MOVE when framing; used to flat GET IT.  So when an Engineer that I was using recommended to me to use TurboCAD, I was ALL OVER IT.  "Turbo"... what's not to love.

Alvin Gregorio

December 14, 2019, 05:49:04 AM
Thanks for all the help in the last few days, much of it implemented with +ve results...

Then a couple of set backs.
1. I was busy putting material/colour an the drawing and printed it, I then noticed that the circular base of the main structure had become a polygon; you may recall I had problems with extruding a cone but this was a circle! 

I have not included the drawing as I doubt that it will show the answer.

I decided to go back to a milestone drawing where the problem was absent and did a rebuild from there. It was quicker than before since my ability IS improving.

If this is a new problem that needs deep analysis, never mind, but if anyone has an idea of HOW this could happen, and what I could have done to correct it, I would be pleased to hear.

2.  I hear much mention of the mouse wheel as an easy route to zooming etc. Problem, I use a Ball mouse, no wheel

(I started using a ball in 1997 and replaced it last week, It had constant use during that 22 years and  no problems till now!  no mouse ever lasted that long before!).

So, apart from scrolling on the xy border, is there a key combination to select and centre.

Same problem is found with popping the cursor on the centre of an object, I believe there is a snap option but I continue to struggle with snaps apart from grid snap!!

This and the last question, (centring), obviously go together.

Thanks and best all  jim

December 14, 2019, 06:29:05 AM
Just remembered...

During several procedures I get warning messages regarding 2D opps in 3D environment and similar related ones.

I appreciate that I need to be aware of this and should be avoiding it through better practice, however these messages are frequently ambiguous.

I realise I will learn with experience but it would help if there was a flag to which environment I am currently in!

I have to toggle the 2\d/3\d button in the bottom tray and assume that is fixing the issue

Am I simply failing to see the flag?

Best wihes, Jim.

December 14, 2019, 07:00:55 AM

I have not included the drawing as I doubt that it will show the answer.

RE "I have not included the drawing as I doubt that it will show the answer.":

Wrong decision and probably wrong assumption.  It is always best and most productive to provide the Drawing file.  And any screen-captures that might facilitate diagnosis and instruction.

Just remembered...

During several procedures I get warning messages regarding 2D opps in 3D environment and similar related ones.

This is the most often reported issue/frustration reported by novice users here on these Forums, in one form or another.
I (and others) have posted many replies trying to help fellow TurboCADers grasp an understanding of this.  It could take weeks, months, or years to fully grasp how all this behaves.  The first Topic thread that comes to mind is "Grid Moves".  This could very well be the frustration that does you in with frustration and sets you on that steed, off over the horizon.

If we could have just an afternoon in a room with you, you'd be intermediate-level proficient by the end of the session.  That is my frustration, now possessing some TurboCAD knowledge, having time on my hands, and wanting and liking to help others learn.  It is just so difficult to educate remotely via typed word and images.

May the mouse RIP.  I hope he had a good life.  Long live the new mouse!

Alvin Gregorio

December 15, 2019, 05:21:52 AM
If we could have just an afternoon in a room with you, you'd be intermediate-level proficient by the end of the session.  That is my frustration, now possessing some TurboCAD knowledge, having time on my hands, and wanting and liking to help others learn.  It is just so difficult to educate remotely via typed word and images.

May the mouse RIP.  I hope he had a good life.  Long live the new mouse!

How true, I did my degree 30 years ago with The Open University and groups of students on he sme course would meet (from the same neighbourhood), to discuss problems.

problem I have solved and lost the answer....

Placing the cursor at the centre of a selected object
AND
placing the object at centre of screen
AND
Zoom to this point.

I DO ty to make a note f these procedures as they are solved... Honestly, A do!

December 15, 2019, 05:32:46 AM
 problem I have solved and lost the answer....

Placing the cursor at the centre of a selected object
AND
placing the object at centre of screen
AND
Zoom to this point.

Select the object, then do a View-->Zoom-->Selection command.  It should be in the View menu up in the Menu Bar.  And/or it should be on the Standard Toolbar.  The button should look something like a magnifying glass with a square in it.  The keystroke shortcut should be Alt+Backspace.  It will only become active to be available to activate (not grayed out) if something is selected.

I will oftentimes select something, go to a Standard View such as ISO SW, then immediately Zoom/Selection, to zoom in on that object(s) I have selected.

Alvin Gregorio

December 16, 2019, 02:48:02 AM

I tried to create text and lines to point out the relevant components involved in this question! I could NOT make lines go where I wanted them. so I will try to explain with description alone.

the nose-cone, (truncated cone), needs to have a hole right through, created by subtracting the long tube drawn right through the whole assembly.

The nose cone needs to be hollow, this is created by subtracting the large cylinder from the nose and also, in a second operation a copy of the cylinder will subract from the base leaving an large hole in the whole assembly

When I do the larger subtraction it appears to remove ALL the material from the nose leaving a simple cone shape with NO thickness.

I do not know how to see the model brom below, I do not know how to do any views except the ones in" standard views

Pardon the spelling, I' having a bad day!

I trust You can see that progress is being made,... Thanks all for facilitating that!

Best wishes, Jim

December 16, 2019, 03:12:50 AM
Yes, the 'cone' does end up being hollow, when you do it as you describe.  This may or may not be a bug (I don't usually work with TCSurface objects).

If you subtract the wide cylinder from the cone first, then subtract the thinner cylinder, it turns out as we both expected.

Also, when you use the 3D Subtract function, you can set the Don't remove the subtrahend flag so that the object being subtracted from the cone doesn't disappear.  This way, you don't have to copy the object in order to use it again.

One other thing... I tried 3D Adding the cone to the base plate before 3D Subtracting the two cylinders; the cone ended up as you first described it.

And still another thing... I 3D Subtracted as I suggested, then 3D Added the now-properly-hollowed-out cone to the base plate; the cone section now has the very thin walls that you had with your original piece.  I don't have any more time to try to figure out how to fix that.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:18:56 AM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

December 16, 2019, 05:03:00 AM
Yes, the 'cone' does end up being hollow, when you do it as you describe.  This may or may not be a bug (I don't usually work with TCSurface objects).

If you subtract the wide cylinder from the cone first, then subtract the thinner cylinder, it turns out as we both expected.

Also, when you use the 3D Subtract function, you can set the Don't remove the subtrahend flag so that the object being subtracted from the cone doesn't disappear.  This way, you don't have to copy the object in order to use it again.

One other thing... I tried 3D Adding the cone to the base plate before 3D Subtracting the two cylinders; the cone ended up as you first described it.

And still another thing... I 3D Subtracted as I suggested, then 3D Added the now-properly-hollowed-out cone to the base plate; the cone section now has the very thin walls that you had with your original piece.  I don't have any more time to try to figure out how to fix that.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Thanks, but I need clarification...

1st Para
By hollow, do you mean a conical exterior with a cylindrical interior, or just a cone outline, which is what I am getting?

It seems to me that the problem I am getting is not related to my model, Maybe I should re-install TCad AGAIN!!

BTW, is there a way to view the model from an isometric aspect from below?

Cheers,  Jim

December 16, 2019, 06:27:19 AM
It seems to me that the problem I am getting is not related to my model, Maybe I should re-install TCad AGAIN!!

I don't think you need to re-Install the program.  TurboCAD has a few quirks, but it's not that unstable.  Most issues are caused by User error and/or inexperience.

BTW, is there a way to view the model from an isometric aspect from below?

Yes, in the Standard Views, there is a "Bottom" option.   Some Configurations-- I don't know if "Default" is one of those-- do not have this command in the Standard Views Toolbar.  If yours doesn't you can add that command-- or any command-- to the Toolbar via the Customize window.
If that's over your knowledge ability-- it's simple, once you understand how to do it-- look up in the Menu bar, Views tab, scroll down to "Camera", and expand the sub-categories until you see "Bottom".

3D Views in the Help Documentation

Alvin Gregorio

December 19, 2019, 06:13:50 AM
Back on the 3D subtract cylinder from cone problem...

I had a thought, what if the cone is faulty. I made it by revolving the trapezium shown x,z plane of the box... What if the trapezium is NOT a closed polyline?...

I have forgotten how to check or make sure it is  closed,
SO I started to recreate a 3D object, via revolved polyline trap'

I CANNOT locate the revolve tool any were 

I looked in
tools/customise/commands  & tools/customise/tools-groups

Which is were I believe I found it before.

I have done MANY searches for where the revolve tool should be..

I would like to get the revolve tool back,.....  but is my reasoning valid for predicting the open polyline causing the problem?

Best wishes, Jim

December 19, 2019, 06:31:29 AM
...What if the trapezium is NOT a closed polyline?...

The first, quick, test I do to check if a polyline or any other 2D entity is a closed is to set it to have a Solid Brush.  If the Brush does not appear, it is not closed; if the Brush appears, it is closed.

There is another good quick method, but the above is a bit quicker, to me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:33:54 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 19, 2019, 07:00:37 AM
In 2019 there is a New function, at least in Platinum.
We can Select a polyline and In Selection Info palette >> Metric we will see if it's closed or not.
Else i prefer the Edit Tool, as then i can close it in the same time, if it's needed.
And also have option to see start and end point if it's not closed.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

December 19, 2019, 08:36:36 AM
Thanks Torfinn,
Unfortunately I had already discovered the metric, parameters to not include that luxury, the label is there, "closed" but when clicked, it just goes grey, no tick appears.

ALSO,

Although I mastered brushes and texuring on drawing 10 years ago when working on telescope mounts, I cannot make it work on Ver 2019, I just can't work out how to invoke it now.

Hey Ho

* December 19, 2019, 09:19:17 AM
You cant tick it, just see if the profile is closed or not.
With Edit tool you can see if the option Close is greyed out, then it meens it's closed, else you can click Close and TC will close the profile.

When the profile is closed you can use the old Hatch tool ( the green one ) Ctrl + Shift + H or Select  Pick Point and click inside the closed area.
Or when selected, open it's property and go down to Brush in the menu that opens and Select the Brush ( Hatch ) you want, set scale etc etc.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* December 19, 2019, 02:41:20 PM
Back on the 3D subtract cylinder from cone problem...

I had a thought, what if the cone is faulty. I made it by revolving the trapezium shown x,z plane of the box... What if the trapezium is NOT a closed polyline?...

SO I started to recreate a 3D object, via revolved polyline trap'

I CANNOT locate the revolve tool any were 

I looked in
tools/customise/commands  & tools/customise/tools-groups

Which is were I believe I found it before.

I have done MANY searches for where the revolve tool should be..

I would like to get the revolve tool back,.....  but is my reasoning valid for predicting the open polyline causing the problem?

Best wishes, Jim

1. Your trapezoid is not closed.

2. Go to Tools>Workspace>Customize>Commands>Insert>3D Object>Revolve.

Henry H

December 20, 2019, 03:16:58 AM
I'm trying to help, but I need to know which you want to do.

Are the two cylinders (B & C) to be subtracted from the conical section (D) alone, or from a combination of A & D?

Jeff

December 20, 2019, 04:43:31 AM
Thanks Jeff,,

Your drawing does make it clearer,.. and there may be no reason for NOT making A and D one object at this stage. but for now I can describe the requirement...

Cylinder B is removed from D and A. ( two subtractions while A & D are separate objects.)
Cylinder C makes a hole in D

Ignoring A for the moment,(no problems with it...

D, the Cone, should now have a conical exterior and a large cylindrical hole hat extends from the bottom of A to a few MM from the top of the cone D.

In reality, it appears that the act of subtracting the cylinder B from the cone, leaves ONLY the cones shell.

One popular theory shared by some active observers,    the 2D trapezium that was revolved to make the cone, was in fact NOT closed prior to revolving. proving this has entertained several folk, with no conclusion

Related aside!  I have lost the revolve icon, ! created a key combination to invoke it.

Also lost all my desktop layout and the saved one, (selected during startup)

I have to say the TCAD is what we used to call "Fragile and crumbly". Not what I remember from 10 years ago.

Also;  Major blow, I cannot infoke the TCAD form from the help menu

Anyway  keep trying..

Best wishes, Jim

* December 20, 2019, 07:49:00 AM
"it appears that the act of subtracting the cylinder B from the cone, leaves ONLY the cones shell."

Hi Jim.
try the attached file.
I used Deluxe 2017

>Align and subtract the tube and or cylinder from the cone.
The Cone should be solid and not a shell.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

December 20, 2019, 02:00:04 PM
Okay... I cheated.  I did the work in ACIS Solid, then Exploded to TCSurface.  Only the Cone and Plate are in this file.  They have been formatted as a Group so that you can position them in the same place (100,200,16).

I also had to copy and paste to a new drawing because even the Purge command wouldn't get rid of the 10 MB of junk in the file.

Jeff

* December 20, 2019, 02:58:06 PM
I was thinking you could change the Revolve profile to include the two cylinders. It could save on some 3D Subtracting.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit