TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Beginner training
Read 1196 times
* August 26, 2019, 05:44:16 AM
I am a first time CAD user looking for training resources focusing on millwork/cabinetry.  I am particularly in need of learning how to create 2D elevation, floor plan, and section drawings. 

* August 26, 2019, 06:31:42 AM
You could try some of Don's tutorials

http://www.textualcreations.ca/

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

August 27, 2019, 01:45:26 AM
I got the IMSI-published 2D and 3D tutorials for the basics, then one of Don's tutorials for the more advanced stuff.  Don makes them for specific versions to show the new features, but covers a wide range of capabilities.

Plus, he's available for personalized help if you're having a problem with a page here and there.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

August 27, 2019, 05:51:27 AM
"First time CAD user"?-- I would start with just viewing the videos provided with the program and the Rip Fowler basic videos on YouTube; you will always know it's a Rip Fowler (formerly[?] of TurboCAD/IMSIDesign; turbotech on these Forums) tutorial video by his pleasing voice and speaking rhythm.
First thing you want to do is know how to draw a Line, Polyline, Rectangle, Circle, and similar basic drafting objects; and the meaning of and how to utilize the basics of CAD-- Snaps and Layers.
Then see if you get the hang of it and get hooked.

I was a "first time CAD user" back in 2000, when I was a Framing(carpentry)_Contractor/small-time_General_Contractor; I can still remember how it feels to be completely new and unknowing about CAD (but extremely curious and determined).  It helped me that I had 4 years of pencil&paper drafting years back in high school; self-teaching in CAD 2D (with the help of this Forum and its predecessor), I tended to go about it as similar to those pencil&paper techniques-- habits I still tend to utilize in 2D CAD drafting.

It's definitely a good idea on your part to start with somewhat mastering 2D before moving on to 3D.
Remember this important thing, before moving to 3D:  Never Toggle your Selector Tool to 3D.  Just NEVER, until you understand what that does.  Doing so is the cause of what I see as the most common and reported frustration on these Forums by new Users (whom often tend to give up and go away...).

Enjoy the videos!  I did and still do.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:42:33 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)