TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

New AMD 3900x System
Read 1925 times
August 20, 2019, 07:24:27 PM
Got my new AMD 3900x ( including: wraith prism cooler, msi meg ace x570 motherboard, 64gb corsair ram, Nvidia gpu 2060 6gb ram, 1tb samsung 970 evo solid state drive, thermaltake view 31 atx case and thermaltake 750w psu) system up and running and Im into fine tuning the performance in 2018 & 2019pp.

Rendering is so much faster than my i7 6700, but the loading of graphics is still too slow. Rather than change multiple switches ( read toggle check boxes etc ) in Program > Native Draw and Program > Render Manager I figured it best to ask 1st.

If I change the load level to high in Render manger will this decrease the time to load graphics ( materials for the drawing )?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly. Ender 3 3D printer.

August 20, 2019, 07:26:51 PM
Sample render, see the bottom left for info  :D  Still fine tuning the materials used as well, as some are a still not quite right yet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:28:58 PM by Darryl W »

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly. Ender 3 3D printer.

August 20, 2019, 09:20:59 PM
So I chose to draft render the same drawing and suprisingly it used more memory than the prev post ( 32.5gb ), go figure and I did not get a result render after 1 hour of loading graphics so I just killed the process.

Im thinking that something is not quite right here with the way tc is loading the graphics/material files, where I consider an hour is over the top for loading :-X, whereas the prev post render was LW quality preview only and while I never timed the 1st render it also took more than 30 minutes to load the graphics/material files and then 157 seconds to render. So what Im trying to find is a suitable compromise in loading graphics and then rendering.  The drawing file is 227,390mb and consists of 630 objects and has around 60 blocks to date.

At this point in time my i7 6700 intel ( 4 cores & 8 threads ) is superior to the AMD 3900x ( 12 cores & 24 threads ) for design, rendering is anybodies guess.  :-[

Daz

August 21, 2019, 05:51:27 PM
So I chose to draft render the same drawing and suprisingly it used more memory than the prev post ( 32.5gb ), go figure and I did not get a result render after 1 hour of loading graphics so I just killed the process.

This is, maybe, a silly question, but did you check which render engine was used for the Draft render?  If it was OpenGL, it could be very slow.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

August 22, 2019, 05:01:42 PM
Sorry for taking a long time to reply, Jeff no I didnt use oenGL/GDI. Genie and me are having a real tussle atm, yesterday I got a lw qrt full done in 60 seconds on my i7 pc and that was aewsome but I can replicate it.  see the attached lower left corner.

So it looks promising that the AMD will do better in the long term for rendering and animation, but I like I said I could not replicate it which is really frustrating.

If I change the load level to high in Render manger will this decrease the time to load graphics ( materials for the drawing )?

So Im answering my own question here; it appears that changing the load level to high loads all materials, luminance, environments etc for the currently active drawing. Im saying this here because just after I changed the load level to high I then re-rendered the drawing and loading the materials etc went from 30 minutes to under 1 minute, then 60 seconds later the LW Quality Raytrace Full render was completed. Albeit that I did set all layers assigned to blocks visibility OFF.

What Im still investigating is that duplicated materials where found in the active drawing when looking at materials in the render manager, where say I had a LW Glossy Black, the same named material was loaded from a Redsdk Glossy Black yet Ive never created any redsdk materials at all. Point here is that the render manager was showing about 60 duplicated names, no idea why. Also that the render manger is retaining any/all old materials that Ive tried in the past including loading all materials that Im currently using. So here Im going to remove all materials and start fresh.

Further that I did experiment with the Native Draw options just after my last 60 second render and this has made my task a little harder in attempting to replicate such a fast render. On the Native draw setup Ive got 2 results showing at different timestamps and Im working through the options to see if I can get the fast render happening again.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:06:13 PM by Darryl W »

Daz

August 23, 2019, 09:03:13 PM
I have found that by some careful planning I have decreased the render and materials loading time by: materials by 80%, render by about 50%.

Should mention 1st that by mistake I left about 16 parttree objects inside blocks, so I used break apart to fix these.

2nd that I converted about 70% of my acis solid objects to TCSurfaces, these objects were mostly mechanical objects.

I reduced the number of materials to less than 10 for the upperdeck file ( read hull and other objects ). Note that turbocad stores all materials that you ever tried in the Active Drawing when viewed from within the Render Manager, so my active drawing had in excess of 100 materials, which turbocad had to load each time I rendered.

Lowering the ACIS quality in Options -> Acis from 100 to 80% and in conjunction with using the Facetor Quality on individual ( see Properties 3D Facetor ) objects has made a substantial difference.

Im still working on various options that can help lower render and material load times further.

Daz