TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Drawing a hole through a hole
Read 2426 times
* July 22, 2016, 12:28:02 PM
In the attached drawing, I have two holes drilled in a box. What's the best way to get the two holes lined up so that the smaller hole goes through the larger hole without the lines showing up in the larger hole? The smaller hole looks like a shaft instead of a hole. I have no idea what technique to use.
Thanks,
Bill

TurboCAD Deluxe 2016 x64

* July 22, 2016, 01:16:15 PM
You already have them lined up correctly. But it's advisable to make the cylinders a little longer, so that they protrude beyond the box at both ends, before 3D-Subtracting them from the box. You should expect to see the intersection of the two holes in wireframe mode (see attached screenshot).

Henry H

* July 23, 2016, 08:08:30 AM
Thanks Henry, I think I have that part figured out. So I made another box and simple extruded a hole beyond the borders of the box. I can 3d slice the one end of the hole even with the box, as long as it's in "world view", but I can't get the work plane to move to the other side to slice off the other end. I can get the work plane in a lot of places, just not where I need it to be.

I can get the work plane to the side I need using the "face" mode, but as soon as I pick up the 3d slice tool, the work plane defaults back to world view and I can't get it back to the side I need. And I've tried every single work plane tool there is. Multiple times. For hours on end! What's the trick in manipulating the work plane to where one needs it?

TurboCAD Deluxe 2016 x64

* July 23, 2016, 09:36:08 AM
Thanks Henry, I think I have that part figured out. So I made another box and simple extruded a hole beyond the borders of the box. I can 3d slice the one end of the hole even with the box, as long as it's in "world view", but I can't get the work plane to move to the other side to slice off the other end. I can get the work plane in a lot of places, just not where I need it to be.

I can get the work plane to the side I need using the "face" mode, but as soon as I pick up the 3d slice tool, the work plane defaults back to world view and I can't get it back to the side I need. And I've tried every single work plane tool there is. Multiple times. For hours on end! What's the trick in manipulating the work plane to where one needs it?

TurboCAD Deluxe 2016 x64

First of all, do not slice the cylinders before subtracting them from the box. Leave them protruding. Problems often arise when one or more faces of the subtrahend (subtracting object) and the minuend (object subtracted from) coincide.

Not sure about your Woriplane problem. Sometimes TCad begins to act weirdly for no apparent reason; it usually straightens up if the drawing is saved, closed, and then reopened. If that doesn't help, perhaps the drawing itself has gone sour (happens now and then). Try starting all over in a brand new drawing.

Henry H

July 25, 2016, 09:06:32 AM
William,

Is it possible you have the auto workplane by face setting turned on?

* July 25, 2016, 09:58:46 AM
Travis,
I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I'm really not sure what tool to use when. I keep experimenting with different tools but just don't know how to manipulate the work plane to where I need it.

I included a new drawing in which I left the holes long, as Henry suggested, and was able to 3d subtract them, I think, from the outside of the drawing, but I can't get the work plane to the insides so I can trim off the excess length there. I'm under the assumption that I have to get the work plane (red square) to the inside surface so the program knows where to trim the holes to. Is that correct or not?

I highlighted in red the holes that need trimming. I managed to get the holes trimmed flush with the outside, but not the inside.

July 25, 2016, 10:28:09 AM
William,

You can't trim 3D objects. You can slice them.

This file is the file I helped you with a week or two ago isn't it?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. When you subtract an object from another the object you subtracted is completely deleted (unless you set the tool not to do so) and any point where it coincided with the minuend (the object subtracted from) is also deleted.

What excess length are you referring to?

You can set a workplane to the inside face (like the inside of a hole or subtraction) by hitting Page Up when using the Workplane by face tool

* July 25, 2016, 11:41:34 AM
William, your drawing contains a black object, a blue object, and two red objects (colors are mine). Can you clarify what you want to do with these four entities?

Henry H
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:43:06 AM by Henry Hubich »

* July 25, 2016, 01:56:06 PM
The blue object in the outer perimeter of the entire device. A solid block.
The black object is a hollowed out portion of the block.
I want the red "holes" to meet the black hollowed out portion. I have them flush with the outer edges of the block, I just can't get them flush with the black hollowed out portion. In other words, I want the red holes to go from one edge of the block to the other without showing lines through the entire hollowed out portion. It's a straight-line hole, not a shaft.

* July 25, 2016, 06:40:05 PM
The blue object in the outer perimeter of the entire device. A solid block.
The black object is a hollowed out portion of the block.
I want the red "holes" to meet the black hollowed out portion. I have them flush with the outer edges of the block, I just can't get them flush with the black hollowed out portion. In other words, I want the red holes to go from one edge of the block to the other without showing lines through the entire hollowed out portion. It's a straight-line hole, not a shaft.

William, have a look at the attached screenshot. If this is what your object should look like, then here's what you must do:

1. You must draw the black object so that it protrudes beyond the blue block at the end face and at the large face of the blue object. Then 3D-Subtract it from the blue block. (Enable "Don't remove the subtrahend" before subtracting, then place the black object on an invisible layer after subtracting.)

2. Similarly, make the short red piece protrude beyond the outer face of the blue block on one end, and on its other end make it protrude into the void left by subtracting the black object. Then 3D-Subtract it from the blue block, with "Don't remove the subtrahend" enabled. Place the red object on an invisible layer after subtracting.

Henry H

* July 26, 2016, 04:37:41 AM
I made a mistake in my description. The larger black hole should only go to within 1/4" of the end of the block. The red holes should only extend from the end of the block, then meet the hollowed out portion that takes up most of the interior of the block. So the red holes should only be about a 1/4" from each end.

The way I made the larger hole (and the smaller ones too for that matter) is I drew a circle on the end of the block, then "simple extruded" it longer than it needed to be. I can get the hole even with the end of the block, but I can't get it even with the hollow portion in the middle of the block. I just don't know how and everything I try doesn't work.

But I'll try again using "don't remove subtrahend" and see what happens.

* July 26, 2016, 07:30:58 AM
I made a mistake in my description. The larger black hole should only go to within 1/4" of the end of the block. The red holes should only extend from the end of the block, then meet the hollowed out portion that takes up most of the interior of the block. So the red holes should only be about a 1/4" from each end.

The way I made the larger hole (and the smaller ones too for that matter) is I drew a circle on the end of the block, then "simple extruded" it longer than it needed to be. I can get the hole even with the end of the block, but I can't get it even with the hollow portion in the middle of the block. I just don't know how and everything I try doesn't work.

But I'll try again using "don't remove subtrahend" and see what happens.

Maybe the attached illustration can help, William.

The "Don't remove the subtrahend" option is not an essential part of creating a hole. It is simply a way for you to save the subtrahend in case it's needed again. Remember that your red objects are not holes until you subtract them from something.

Henry H
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:33:14 AM by Henry Hubich »