TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

2D DRAWING WORK PLANE HASSLES
Read 3487 times
* July 12, 2015, 02:04:20 PM
I have worked for years in both 2D and 3D TCAD.  Often working thru a design in 3D then extracting 2D geometry with which to nest and NC machine (ShopBot router.)  Further I suffer the trait of learning just enough to do what I want and then stopping.  Made worse by the fact that I work in TCAD in relative isolation - i.e. my immediate cohorts are all Rhino, Solid Works, and Microstation mavens.  So there are numerous glaring gaps in my grasp of what's under the hood of TCAD.

I'm reaching out hear because I"m fed up with the hassles of struggling to get and keep things on the work plane when working in 2D.  An example of what I don't know is what TCAD is trying to tell me (dialog box) when it says selecting a 2D object will change its work plane (when I am working in 2D I want EVERYTHING on the same workplane so trim and fillet, etc behave themselves - which they often DO NOT.)

In the late stages of final part prep I know I am working with lines and geometry that has been sliced, diced, copied and pasted from multiple sources both 3D and 2D.  Surely there is a way that I can globally get all these objects to flatten out onto one workplane.  The "Place on WorkPlane" command works I'd say about 70% of the time.  I've been driven to create a huge cube in 3D space upon which I can select and then snap pesky objects onto the work plane I want when the "Place on Work Plane" won't accomplish it.

There's gotta be a better way.

* July 12, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
I have worked for years in both 2D and 3D TCAD.  Often working thru a design in 3D then extracting 2D geometry with which to nest and NC machine (ShopBot router.)  Further I suffer the trait of learning just enough to do what I want and then stopping.  Made worse by the fact that I work in TCAD in relative isolation - i.e. my immediate cohorts are all Rhino, Solid Works, and Microstation mavens.  So there are numerous glaring gaps in my grasp of what's under the hood of TCAD.

I'm reaching out hear because I"m fed up with the hassles of struggling to get and keep things on the work plane when working in 2D.  An example of what I don't know is what TCAD is trying to tell me (dialog box) when it says selecting a 2D object will change its work plane (when I am working in 2D I want EVERYTHING on the same workplane so trim and fillet, etc behave themselves - which they often DO NOT.)

In the late stages of final part prep I know I am working with lines and geometry that has been sliced, diced, copied and pasted from multiple sources both 3D and 2D.  Surely there is a way that I can globally get all these objects to flatten out onto one workplane.  The "Place on WorkPlane" command works I'd say about 70% of the time.  I've been driven to create a huge cube in 3D space upon which I can select and then snap pesky objects onto the work plane I want when the "Place on Work Plane" won't accomplish it.

There's gotta be a better way.
Please start off with what you're trying to nest on the router.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 13, 2015, 05:31:43 AM
Don - the number of different things I cut on my router would take weeks to outline.  We cut plastics, plywood, hardwood, parts, pieces, scupture forms, shapes, etc. etc.

At the moment I am generating ground sheets for the yacht overhead systems we build - been doing it for years. I've attached a photograph of a typical installation on a 165-ft motoryacht.  There is lots of standard geometry used that I roll in from prior jobs and as you can see there is lots of line trimming and filleting involved.  At this stage of the work I want everything on one workplane all the time no exceptions.  But getting TCAD to do this consistently has eluded me.  I suspect if I started from a clean blanks sheet and generated new lines all would be good - but that's just not the work flow.  Also, we import crucial geometry from our Leica Disto 3D scanner - establishes the perimeter line (and sometimes this scan data passes thru Rhino for some tasks that it does particularly well.

* July 13, 2015, 06:09:04 AM
Here's an example of what I'm experiencing.  The lines on layer "PANEL" were generated thru a combination of "OFFSET" lines and original point to point lines.  The lines on layer GIP started as an "INSERT RECTANGLE" which I then rounded the corners using the "FILLET" command.  The GIP lines were on a different workplane than the "PANEL" layer lines (for reasons I don't understand) so I grabbed everything and did a "PLACE ON WORKPLANE" command.  These objects are now on 3 different workplanes! Which makes future 'FILLET" and "TRIM" commands very erratic.

Why can't I easily get all these objects onto one workplane"?

* July 13, 2015, 07:37:20 AM
Hi,
If you are opening drawings that were not originally created Turbo you need to select all >choose plane by world > modify place on workplane then continue in 2d select mode which will  lock the current WP.Enable the workplane warning dialog if you continue to have problems understanding what's happening.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:39:24 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* July 13, 2015, 07:42:07 AM
I looked at your file, but it's going to take someone with more experience to figure this out.  If I use 2D selector property, all looks fine. I can get all objects on the work plane, except the lines on GIP. But if you look at the drawing from the front, that is edge on, the lines appear to be on the work plane and connected to the arcs on GIP. When I select one of the lines, it appears that the reference point is Z offset by -0.027. I tried resetting it to default, or to one of its vertices, but still seems that it has the Z offset, yet appears to be on the work plane.  So I'm at a lost as to what is up with those lines. Probably something simple I am missing. Sure, I can delete those lines and redraw them on the work plane, but I don't think that is what you want to do.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* July 13, 2015, 07:53:26 AM
Here's an example of what I'm experiencing.  The lines on layer "PANEL" were generated thru a combination of "OFFSET" lines and original point to point lines.  The lines on layer GIP started as an "INSERT RECTANGLE" which I then rounded the corners using the "FILLET" command.  The GIP lines were on a different workplane than the "PANEL" layer lines (for reasons I don't understand) so I grabbed everything and did a "PLACE ON WORKPLANE" command.  These objects are now on 3 different workplanes! Which makes future 'FILLET" and "TRIM" commands very erratic.

This is one of those cases -- unusual but they do occur -- in which it's necessary first to set Size Z to zero before issuing the "Place on Workplane" command.

Henry H

* July 13, 2015, 11:54:02 AM
Gentlemen - excellent, prompt, and most useful feedback.  I should turn to the forum more often no doubt. 

Many thanks all round!

DA

* July 13, 2015, 06:11:38 PM

I wasn't able to open your file as I only have V18, but a tip if you are filleting rectangles with equal radii would be to either select "Fillet Corners" from the local menu or the inspector bar, a box then appears in the inspector bar where you can specify the radius of the fillet.  Saves from having to do a separate "Fillet" command.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS