TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

IGES / STEP viewer
Read 9969 times
May 22, 2009, 01:32:00 PM
Does anyone know of a free and adequate IGES / STEP viewer?

* May 22, 2009, 01:59:34 PM
Don,

I had a post here.. but decided it better do send you and email.. be looking for it.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:08:31 PM by GregT »

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

May 22, 2009, 02:23:06 PM
Don,

I had a post here.. but decided it better do send you and email.. be looking for it.

Greg
Thanks Greg.

* May 22, 2009, 03:52:41 PM
Greg -  feel free to post it, if is just a viewer.
It might be useful to validate any issues we have with our interpreters.

May 22, 2009, 05:08:17 PM
Yes, please post it...  ;)

Mike...

* May 22, 2009, 05:14:20 PM
Greg -  feel free to post it, if is just a viewer.
It might be useful to validate any issues we have with our interpreters.

The program I sent Don wasn't just a viewer... but here is a link I sent to one of my customers. It does have problems from time to time... but usually works very well.

https://ssl.cadfaster.com/shop/quickstep.php

If you want, I can email you a link to the other CAD program... it's free, and does a great job of finding errors that TC sometimes creates with it's solids.... has saved my butt on many occasions. Seems to catch the same errors/problems that SolidWorks does... from short edges to totally corrupt parts... things that TC should do... IMHO.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 21, 2009, 04:49:39 PM
There's a new program called CADExchanger at http://www.cadexchanger.com/, currently free in beta release, although I don't know what their commercial ambitions are.  It's a viewer/converter for IGES, STEP, BREP (OpenCascade native format), STL and VRML.  They're also planning and working on ACIS SAT and Parasolid X_T conversion.  Even at this early stage, it's a really nice viewer and a few tests that I've done have had reliable conversion to STL performed.  Although stl binary format has hiccups, ASCII stl works well.