TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Needed: Method To Have Polylines/Arcs Move With Symbol
Read 2400 times
* August 30, 2012, 09:31:30 AM
Hello All,

I am looking for an efficient way to draw electric power circuits on a residential house plan. To me, efficient means that the polyline/arc would attach to a lighting fixture or switch symbol.  When the symbol was moved, the polyline/arc would move automatically with the symbol. This can be easily done in a product like MS-Visio, but I have not found a way to accomplish this in TC.  I have included a snippit to this post. It is easy to see when I move the symbol, the polyline does not follow.

Any tips or tricks out there?

Thank you,

Kate---

Kate---

TurboCAD Professional V19.1 x64

August 30, 2012, 09:36:16 AM
Hello All,

I am looking for an efficient way to draw electric power circuits on a residential house plan. To me, efficient means that the polyline/arc would attach to a lighting fixture or switch symbol.  When the symbol was moved, the polyline/arc would move automatically with the symbol. This can be easily done in a product like MS-Visio, but I have not found a way to accomplish this in TC.  I have included a snippit to this post. It is easy to see when I move the symbol, the polyline does not follow.

Thank you,

Kate---

Kate, Have you tried working with and using Constraints?  Don't know if that will work, but likely a good or best solution.

Personally, I've never been able to figure out- or devoted much time to figuring out- how to use Constraints.  But it always seemed like the best way of getting TurboCAD to behave [as close as possible] like those Architectural-specific, associative, parametric, BIM programs [i.e.: TurboFloorPlan; Envisioneer; Softplan; Vectorworks, etc.] in regards to what you are requesting here.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:12:31 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

August 30, 2012, 10:18:12 AM
Hello All,

I am looking for an efficient way to draw electric power circuits on a residential house plan. To me, efficient means that the polyline/arc would attach to a lighting fixture or switch symbol.  When the symbol was moved, the polyline/arc would move automatically with the symbol. This can be easily done in a product like MS-Visio, but I have not found a way to accomplish this in TC.  I have included a snippit to this post. It is easy to see when I move the symbol, the polyline does not follow.

Thank you,

Kate---

Kate, Have you tried working with and using Constraints?  Don't know if that will work, but likely a good or best solution.

(Personally, I've never been able to figure out- or devoted much time to figuring out- how to use Constraints.  But it always seemed like the best way of getting TurboCAD to behave like those Architectural-specific, associative, parametric, BIM programs [i.e.: TurboFloorPlan; Envisioneer; Softplan; Vectorworks, etc.)

-Alvin

Yeah, messing around with Constraints, I got Constraints Coincident to work as you requested, Kate.  Don't know, don't think, it works with a Block, though.  I'll have to try and check.  (just checked; it doesn't work with a Block)

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 30, 2012, 11:08:52 AM
Hi Kate

Have you tried using the create Group command (Format create group)

Warren

* August 30, 2012, 12:56:31 PM
Hi Alvin and Warren,

I have done very little with constraints, with the exception of the parallel flavor.  I experimented with Constraints Coincident.  That action has the behavior I was looking for while using Line objects.  However, after some experimentation, I found I was only able to use the action with Line and Arc objects.  I was unable to grab such objects as Polylines, Circles, Blocks, and Groups. (I did not test other object types.)

I know the behavior I am looking for is targeted toward more architecture-specific applications. However, this behavior was very useful when drawing other types of engineering documents, so I though there might be a way to achieve this using TC

Thank you very much for the help!

Kate---

Kate---

* August 30, 2012, 02:44:58 PM
You might give Splines a try, instead of Arcs between your electrical boxes. You can use the Edit Tool to move nodes around on the Spline or the Stretch tool to move the Spline and your electrical symbol at the same time. As long as the spline ends at the box, moving shouldn't be too much of a problem.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* August 31, 2012, 11:20:38 AM
Hi John,

I would not have thought of using splines, so I appreciate the suggestion. Splines do give one much control over the shape of the arc between boxes. I find I can easily stretch them, but I also found that the origination point did not "stick" to the symbol/block/group to which it was attached. It did, however, stick to subsequent points and the terminus point when stretched. I will continue to explore using splines.

In the meantime, I have also found Polylines to be useful.  They do not move with a symbol/block/group, but it is not too much of a hassle to edit nodes of the polyline.

Thank you,

Kate---

Kate---