TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

snap on dimension lines
Read 3618 times
June 21, 2011, 01:16:19 PM
We can snap with V on dimension lines. I don't know why, but why not.

BUT : if there is an offset in the settings of the dimension, V will not snap on the vertex of the dimension but on the visible line! I allways see that in TC, if I remember. If it wasn't fixed, it means it's not a bug. Maybe some use it.

For me it's only a lot of mystakes : the dimensions are not the good dimensions since they don't snap on the good vertex. So it's impossible to use "offset", or maybe only at the end of the drawing.

My wish is to have a setting to not snap on this offset, or on dimension lines.

since v3,  2020PL on Windows 10 Pro64

March 24, 2018, 11:00:31 AM
No change in TC v2016 Platinium    :(

* March 29, 2018, 06:49:17 AM
Totally agree, Regisse. I can't think of a time when you'd want to snap a dimension to another dimension. It should be made impossible or at least difficult.

April 03, 2018, 02:57:46 AM
Snapping on a Dimension line would be useful when manually tracing an image, but rarely otherwise.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

July 03, 2018, 07:54:05 PM
I too grow tired of trying to throw down some dimensions, only to find out that I have snapped to a dimension line instead of the feature I am measuring. zooming in and out just to dimension a drawing is tedious and unnecessary.

Brian Yates
TCPro plat v18.2
TCPro plat 2016
Windows 10
GeForce GTX 950

December 23, 2019, 03:36:44 AM
Snapping on a Dimension line would be useful when manually tracing an image, but rarely otherwise.
Yes, but there must be a snap on the vertex of the line without offset, and if there is an offset, the snap must stay on the real vertex, not the visible vertex

December 23, 2019, 05:39:37 AM
Yes, but there must be a snap on the vertex of the line without offset, and if there is an offset, the snap must stay on the real vertex, not the visible vertex

Not to diminish anyones' wish, but what might help with what I think you are trying to communicate (quote above):

In your Snap settings, un-check the "In Aperture Only" option for Vertex.

With this setting un-checked, you can hover your cursor over the entity (e.g.: line segment), the half of that entity that is nearest the vertex you want to snap to, and invoke the Vertex Snap command either by a SEKE, Running Snap, and/or Local Snap.
_______
I cycle with it checked and un-checked depending on circumstances; oftentimes exactly for the instance and avoidance of what I think you are describing above.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

December 23, 2019, 06:43:55 AM
Thank you, but "in aperture only" is uncheced for Vertex.
I tried with "checked" and "unchecked", it is the same : SEKE "V" can snap to the dimension line

December 23, 2019, 07:28:13 AM
Thank you, but "in aperture only" is uncheced for Vertex.
I tried with "checked" and "unchecked", it is the same : SEKE "V" can snap to the dimension line

I guess in cases where the Dimension (extension or dimension line) is "on top of" the entity intended to Snap to, that would be the case.
If the Dimension Line is not "on top of" the entity, than we just have to make sure our Snap Aperture does not include the Dimension; I often operate with "Show Snap Aperture" active, just for this type of purpose.  That option is available in Workspace/Cursor menu/sub-menu and/or Options/Preferences.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

December 23, 2019, 08:03:46 AM
"on top of" : are you talking about "layer order"? If yes, I tried with dimension layer at 10 and object at 5 and the opposite : it is fortunately the same. If non, what is it?

"our Snap Aperture does not include the Dimension" : in my opinion, it doesn't make sens to ajuste the aperture to the offset of the dimension.
Whan you use the "edit tool", you see that the node of tne dimension in on the entity, so it means that the offset is juste a viewing option. So the snap on the seen line is a bug, an old bug :P
 - because it has no justification
 - and because it create bad dimensions

* December 23, 2019, 11:42:48 AM
I completely agree that this should be fixed, but here's a workaround in v2019: In the Edit menu are three wonderful new commands, "Isolate objects," "Hide objects," and "End isolation." You can assign a hotkey for each of these. Select an existing dimension that you don't want to click on accidentally, hide it, place the new dimension(s), then use "End isolation."

Henry H

December 23, 2019, 12:41:29 PM
Thank you Henry, but I can't do that for all dimensions :P and it's easier to zoom on the vertex
If I work too quickly, I will not see that my dimension is not good.
The only way is to set the offset at the end of the drawing, when the dimensions are allready made.

I've been talking about this problem for years (2011 here)  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 01:02:16 PM by Régis Fraisse »

December 23, 2019, 02:49:06 PM
When I do architectural construction plans and other fabrication plans , I Snap like the wind when Dimensioning. Very Turboly.

I never have an issue; now that I know how to invoke my previous recommendations habitually with extreme accuracy. With the added advantage that my Associative Dimensions are actually associated with the entities they are dimensioning.

Alvin Gregorio

* December 23, 2019, 03:24:40 PM
Thank you Henry, but I can't do that for all dimensions :P and it's easier to zoom on the vertex
If I work too quickly, I will not see that my dimension is not good.
The only way is to set the offset at the end of the drawing, when the dimensions are allready made.

I've been talking about this problem for years (2011 here)  :)

It's not that bad. Place a dimension, press F7 to select it, press the hotkey that hides it. Follow this procedure for each dimension. When finished dimensioning, press the hotkey that un-hides them all.

Henry H

December 23, 2019, 10:52:12 PM
When I do architectural construction plans and other fabrication plans , I Snap like the wind when Dimensioning. Very Turboly.

I never have an issue; now that I know how to invoke my previous recommendations habitually with extreme accuracy. With the added advantage that my Associative Dimensions are actually associated with the entities they are dimensioning.

I created a short video of how I do it.  It's on YouTube, here.
In YouTube, please click on the "Show More" button in the Description.
And when viewing, please go for the Full Screen option and in that Viewer's settings, set the Quality to 720pHD.  Thanks

Alvin Gregorio

December 24, 2019, 02:08:21 AM
It's not that bad. Place a dimension, press F7 to select it, press the hotkey that hides it. Follow this procedure for each dimension. When finished dimensioning, press the hotkey that un-hides them all.
OK, but I need to know where are dimensions to make other dimensions to have an understandable drawing
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:25:56 AM by Régis Fraisse »

December 24, 2019, 02:18:37 AM
Thank you for this video!
Yes, "Show Magnetic Point" solve the problem, but I don't like to use it because of the additional clicks and because I never need it in my work (mechanical engineering). I use it only in special situations.

* December 24, 2019, 02:34:00 AM
I dont understand why an option is a problem, is it not just to set Offset to 0 when doing Dimension then or a bigger offset, and set it to whatever we want when finish, if we dont like/ want to zoom in and see where to snap, that we meet the Object and not a dimensionline.
We should be relative close anyway when do a dimension to make sure it snap to correct place.
And if we want to use a dimensionline to start we do have Continious Dimension.
I dont do mechanical stuff, so maybe thats why i dont see it as a problem ?

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

December 24, 2019, 03:08:04 AM
is it not just to set Offset to 0 when doing Dimension then or a bigger offset
yes, that is what I do (see above)  :)

December 24, 2019, 04:56:44 AM
Thank you for this video!
Yes, "Show Magnetic Point" solve the problem, but I don't like to use it because of the additional clicks and because I never need it in my work (mechanical engineering). I use it only in special situations.

I don't know what the difference would be for "mechanical engineering" drawings; but if you say there is one that makes the use of Show Magnetic Point not beneficial in your type of work, I'll have to believe you.
Any chance you can show us a screen-capture of some of your type of work, Dimensions included.

I have to admit, I seem to be in the minority among experienced TurboCAD Users in regards to the preference of using Running Snaps and Magnetic Point.

Alvin Gregorio

December 24, 2019, 04:57:13 AM
Just to be clear:  I concur with what I think is the original wish expressed in this topic.  I think it would be good to have an option in Preferences or somewhere of:

Able to Snap to Dimensions:
    Inserted Objects ; or
    Inserted Dimensions ; or
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 05:27:42 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

December 24, 2019, 05:16:47 AM
I don't know what the difference would be for "mechanical engineering" drawings; but if you say there is one that makes the use of Show Magnetic Point not beneficial in your type of work, I'll have to believe you
sorry, I didn't want to talk about "show magnetic point" but about "use Choice if several Entities in Aperture ..." in option / preferences

December 24, 2019, 05:19:21 AM
Just to be clear:  I concur with what I think is the original wish expressed in this topic.  I think it would be good to have an option in Preferences or somewhere of:

Able to Snap to Dimensions:
    Inserted Objects ☐; or ☒
    Inserted Dimensions ☐; or ☒
I think that the problem is not "snap on dimensions or not" but "snap on the seen line when dimension has an offset or snap on the real vertex line". You can see the real vertex line with "select edit"

* December 24, 2019, 06:28:19 PM
OK, but I need to know where are dimensions to make other dimensions to have an understandable drawing

Understood. Un-hide the dimensions and see where they are, then press the Undo button to hide them again.

Henry

April 23, 2020, 03:13:08 AM
No change in TC v2020 Platinium    :(