TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

changing a line but not his length
Read 1873 times
December 24, 2019, 08:50:42 AM
Imagine a rope. You can move it with your hands, you can have many geometry and the rope has always the same length.

My wish is to do that with a line on TurboCad.

since v3,  2020PL on Windows 10 Pro64

December 24, 2019, 09:53:08 AM
Imagine a rope. You can move it with your hands, you can have many geometry and the rope has always the same length.

My wish is to do that with a line on TurboCad.

Agreed.  I've long wished for this ability.  It would be very useful.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 24, 2019, 12:05:34 PM
Have you tried using Constraints?

Use the "Auto Dimension" from the Constraints toolbar on a Line. Activate the Edit Tool and move an endpoint node to a new location. The line moves, but it retains its length. It will rotate unless both nodes are selected. From what I see, nothing is visible when moving.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* December 24, 2019, 06:17:54 PM
What am I missing here? I can select an existing Line and moved and/or rotate it like any other entity without changing its length.

Henry H

December 26, 2019, 01:47:43 AM

Use the "Auto Dimension" from the Constraints toolbar on a Line. Activate the Edit Tool and move an endpoint node to a new location. The line moves, but it retains its length. It will rotate unless both nodes are selected. From what I see, nothing is visible when moving.
OK, but it works only il I don't change the geometry of the line. My with is for example to put a node on the line, move this node and the total length doesn't change, and make a filet on the angle, etc. like with a rope.
Henry, maybe that answers your question.

* December 26, 2019, 08:45:50 AM

OK, but it works only il I don't change the geometry of the line. My with is for example to put a node on the line, move this node and the total length doesn't change, and make a filet on the angle, etc. like with a rope.
Henry, maybe that answers your question.

Yes, it does. Thanks. And I agree that this would be a useful feature.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:47:36 AM by Henry Hubich »

January 04, 2020, 03:38:20 PM
My ... example to put a node on the line, move this node and the total length doesn't change, and make a filet on the angle, etc. like with a rope.

Then it's not a Line any more; it's a Polyline with Arc segments, but it does reveal a failing in the Polyline command's operation; when switching from a Line segment to an Arc segment, the Arc's start point is always tangent to its predecessor's segment, but a Line segment cannot be locked tangential to the Arc segment that precedes it.  For years, my preferred workaround has been to place Circles, then draw Lines tangent to the Circles, then V-snap a Polyline around the perimeter.

I suppose we could request a new command (let's call it Rope) where the length is specified first, followed by the origin point.  Then, as the cursor is moved around the screen, the rope is continuously re-drawn as if in Polyline mode, with each position click being incorporated into the resulting rope until the total length is used.  All segments, Line or Arc, would be tangential to the preceding segment.  If the last segment is desired to be an Arc, then the user can click and drag to adjust.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 04, 2020, 05:32:18 PM
"...but a Line segment cannot be locked tangential to the Arc segment that precedes it."

Jeff, if you set "Relative angle" to zero, the line segment will be tangent to the preceding arc. But it's not locked (even if you click the "Lock" icon), and you have to reset it each time you draw a new line segment following an arc.

Henry H

January 04, 2020, 06:03:41 PM
if you set "Relative angle" to zero, the line segment will be tangent to the preceding arc. But it's not locked (even if you click the "Lock" icon)...

In my experiment, the Lock setting is obeyed, and remembered, too, so multiple additional line segments can be added (but it's reset if you switch to an Arc segment).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

January 05, 2020, 02:35:27 AM
Then it's not a Line any more; it's a Polyline with Arc segments
... and/or with curves (spline, bezier, sketch)

* January 05, 2020, 09:23:09 AM
if you set "Relative angle" to zero, the line segment will be tangent to the preceding arc. But it's not locked (even if you click the "Lock" icon)...

In my experiment, the Lock setting is obeyed, and remembered, too, so multiple additional line segments can be added (but it's reset if you switch to an Arc segment).

Jeff

Sorry I wasn't clear; that's what I meant.

Henry H
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:24:51 AM by Henry Hubich »