TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Creating holes
Read 902 times
* November 13, 2019, 03:25:30 AM
I'm pretty new to Turbocad and would appreciate some help to a problem which I think is something straight forward and likely pretty dumb that I'm missing.
I have a simple extruded piece 9mm thick plastic) which I want to put a series of 8mm holes in. I've followed the various YT videos, I've created the points where the holes will go. I've changed my hole diameter and c'sink dimensions. I've checked that my workplane is the one I want to put the holes in and yet when I click the hole tool it doesn't register that I'm trying to put holes in. The flag stays grayed out and no matter where I click, it doesn't put a hole there. I did the same exercise the other day with no problem so I'm guessing it's really something straight forward.
I'm using Platinum 2018 version if that helps. I've also looked through the forum to see if it's a common problem but there's nothing so again, leads me to believe it's something silly that I'm missing. Thanks

November 13, 2019, 04:09:03 AM
If you're having trouble with the Hole command, you can almost always use another command sequence to duplicate the results.

Place Circles of the preferred diameter snapped to the Points (you can tab into the Diameter entry in the Circle's Inspector Bar, enter the value, then Ctrl-L to lock the value for subsequent use).

Once you have Circles properly positioned, invoke the Quick Pull command and hover the cursor over the Circles until a red cross-hatch appears.  You can then click and adjust the depth to -8.

Alternatively, you could create a Cylinder of the required diameter and twice the depth (so you don't have to play games with the Reference Point), and use the Rubber Stamp mode (right-click when the cursor is over the main drawing area and select it from a list) to place duplicates at each Point.  You can then 3D Subtract each Cylinder from the extruded piece.  You could also 3D Add all the Cylinders together and only have one subtraction operation.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

November 13, 2019, 05:04:29 AM
I'm pretty new to Turbocad and would appreciate some help to a problem which I think is something straight forward and likely pretty dumb that I'm missing.
I have a simple extruded piece 9mm thick plastic) which I want to put a series of 8mm holes in. I've followed the various YT videos, I've created the points where the holes will go. I've changed my hole diameter and c'sink dimensions. I've checked that my workplane is the one I want to put the holes in and yet when I click the hole tool it doesn't register that I'm trying to put holes in. The flag stays grayed out and no matter where I click, it doesn't put a hole there. I did the same exercise the other day with no problem so I'm guessing it's really something straight forward.
I'm using Platinum 2018 version if that helps. I've also looked through the forum to see if it's a common problem but there's nothing so again, leads me to believe it's something silly that I'm missing. Thanks

Is there any chance that the object you are trying to put the Holes in is a TC_Surface object?, not an ACIS_Solid?
Check in its Properties/3D page.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 13, 2019, 07:09:20 AM
Jeff / Alvin, thanks very much for taking the time to help. I've just found out what  I think i was doing wrong (I did say it's likely something silly). The points were on a different layer (one I've called construction) to the panel (the 9mm thick plastic). I recreated the points in the same layer and it worked!!
Had it not done so, I was going to try the pull method as suggested by Jeff
Also, Alvin I did try both solid and ACIS but of course given what I mentioned above, neither did work but they wouldn't would they.

Thanks again.

November 13, 2019, 08:03:50 AM
Jeff / Alvin, thanks very much for taking the time to help. I've just found out what  I think i was doing wrong (I did say it's likely something silly). The points were on a different layer (one I've called construction) to the panel (the 9mm thick plastic). I recreated the points in the same layer and it worked!!
Had it not done so, I was going to try the pull method as suggested by Jeff
Also, Alvin I did try both solid and ACIS but of course given what I mentioned above, neither did work but they wouldn't would they.

Thanks again.

I think there are some inaccuracies or fallacies in what you wrote Peter.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 13, 2019, 09:19:27 AM
Is there? I'm not sure then how I resolved it. I opened up the model I'd referred to earlier which I'd created a few days ago (the one that worked) and noticed the points were in the same layer as the extrusion. That was one difference to the one I was having a problem with where the points were either in layer 0 or the one called construction. I recreated the points but this time making sure to create them in the same layer as the extrusion. It then added the holes.

I'm worried now that I just got lucky somehow and the problem may arise again.  :-[

* November 13, 2019, 02:10:41 PM
As Alvin says, the Points do not have to be on the same Layer as the object, but the object does have to be a Solid. Please post the problem drawing if you're still having trouble.

Henry H