TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

TurboCAD Mechanical Productivity
Read 1499 times
May 18, 2019, 09:04:32 PM
Id like to see the productivity improvements covering areas in mechanical use like:

Threads and pitches for Metric, Unc, Unf and Square.
In the past Ive used my Machinery handbook's  data to create a 2D representation of mostly metric bolts and then revolved that profile to create a 3D object, then added another object to represent the tapered end of the bolt and finally added a polygonal prism to represent the bolt head. On occasions Ive added a cylinder to represent a shank for others between the threaded section and the bolt head.

From my way of thinking these steps could be easily adapted to a 2D profile that could be added to TurboCAD arsenal of tools and increase Productivity.

Bolt and Screw head types
There are probably way too many bolt and screw head types ( read shapes ) to attempt to cover here, but a useful selection of the more common types would  be big boost to TurboCADs arsenal and the users Productivity. No longer having to design each and every shape of a 3D object to reflect the accuracy of the model.

The benefit here would be that when tolerance and visual confirmation of fit and finish are sufficient for model accuracy. This would be a Productivity boost for TurboCAD.

Nut shapes
Likewise for nut shapes as there are probably way too many to cover, a good cross section of the most common types would suffice. Shapes covering standard polygonal prisms, lock nuts, castellated, pan head ( read closed nut, round head).

From my way of thinking these Nut shapes could then form the basis a threaded nut of any thread/pitch required were the 3D shape of a bolt is subtracted to give the required nut thread.

Spring shapes
Henry Hubich's Creating Springs in TurboCAD is a big boost to the TurboCAD user when they have a need for modeling spring design. Adding a selection of the most common spring designs like: tension, compression, axial hook, axial eye, spiral and volute springs would improve the TurboCADs Productivity.

Washer Shapes
Likewise for washer shapes as there are probably way too many to cover, a good cross section of washers covering flat, spring, external lock, internal lock and wave would be another big boost to Productivity.

Split Pin
For split pin shapes there probably isnt too many too many to cover at all.

Cotter Pin ( read Hitch Pins )
For cotter pin shapes there probably isnt too many too many to cover at all.

With both of the above 2, in most cases Ive had success with adjusting the aspect ratio to get a larger or smaller size.

C Clips ( C pronounced as Sir Clip here in oz )
C Clips mostly used for locking a cylindrical object to a shaft by way of a machined groove, thereby eliminating sliding motion/movement. E style, C style with a flat base and Ring OD with small holes for use with pointed c clip pliers. In most cases Ive had success with adjusting the aspect ratio to get a larger or smaller size.

Sprocket & Chain
Id like to see a matched driver and driven sprockets matched to common chain dimensions. Where the user specifies the number of teeth for both sprockets based on chain size, or alternately specifies the gearing ratio required thereby eliminating possible errors.

Bearings
Likewise for bearing designs there are probably way too many to cover, a good cross section of bearing design could cover ball, tapered, needle, thrust and would be another big boost to Productivity.

Where possible having an accurate 2D profile of the required 3D object will most likely increase the productivity and accuracy for any situation. Accurate 2D profiles will most likely reduce the risk of error by a significant factor.

In some cases from all of the above, Ive created one or more of each type and to my personal satisfaction increased/decreased the size by just changing the aspect ratio for a given situation.  Imo this would be a BIG boost to TurboCADs productivity for any/all drawings and in preparation for 3D printer design. All packaged into TurboCAD or alternately a new mechanical tool pack for the upcoming 2020 release.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:10:21 AM by Darryl W »

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

May 19, 2019, 03:45:59 AM
If you are not planning on fabricating these screws, nuts, springs, etc., then it may be better to just have a library of commercial parts accessible (https://www.mcmaster.com/ is a good starting point).

Perhaps a link to their library as I've seen with schematic capture and PCB layout software.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 19, 2019, 04:59:27 AM
Darryl,
have you checked out the addons > sdk examples.
Years ago they had the idea but never finished the thought  :)

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (no Redsdk plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

May 20, 2019, 11:11:10 PM
Jeff sure am aware of mcmaster, been there many times. In a recent job I had to detail all elements in the design including bolts, the reason was from the hirer was that they needed to be certain of fit, tolerance and enough material from the edge of thread base object to the outer edge adaptor object. The hirer needed evidence of exact tolerances before the part design was accepted. Hence my request for actual bolt dimensions. Coming from oz via the net Ive regularly been kicked out of mcmaster after doing about 6 different searches, it seems they pick up on the ip address and presume Im not likely to be a real customer.

Dean Ive just got back from a 2 day trip and havent turned on my pc yet, all Im aware of is the thread tool is this what you are asking me to look at?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:14:50 PM by Darryl W »

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

May 21, 2019, 02:28:18 AM
Jeff sure am aware of mcmaster, been there many times...  Coming from oz via the net Ive regularly been kicked out of mcmaster after doing about 6 different searches, it seems they pick up on the ip address and presume Im not likely to be a real customer.

Hhmmm... perhaps you should set up a VPN so that it appears you are coming from the Unites States.  There are a variety of providers.  Here is a guide on how to set one up: https://www.top10.com/vpn/top-reads/geo-spoofing-how-to-fake-your-location-using-a-vpn

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1