TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Simple Extrude Yields Two Pieces?
Read 444 times
* April 05, 2019, 12:30:07 PM
I don't know if this has always been the case, or, if it is a problem.  I'm making a corner brace drawing, consisting of a right triangle with a "flange" along one of the perpendicular sides.  So, I made a 2d triangle with a polyline and simple extruded it to the thickness I need.  Then, on the top surface I did a 2d rectangle for the flange and simple extruded it to the depth of the flange.

Next step was to use the 3d Boolean Subtract function to trim the flange piect.  I did a 2d polyline of the shape I wanted to remove and then extruded it to the depth of the flange.  When I did the Subtract, it worked fine except a portion of the original 2d polyline shape remained.  I selected this 2d polyline and deleted it and the end product looks OK.

Taking a closer look at my original extruded triangle, it seems to be in two parts:  the extrusion and the original polyline.

Is this the way it is supposed to be?  Do I need to delete the original polyline shape to work with the extruded solid shape?

I'm making a part to be eventually 3d printed, so don't want lingering polylines to interfere with the printing process.

* April 05, 2019, 01:18:35 PM
Just a guess.  But it sound like there is just a slight confusion between extrude and thickness.

If a 2D closed polyline is given thickness (in 3D properties).  The selection palette will still labels the 3D part as a polyline.  But once a Boolean operation is carried out the polyline becomes a TC surface 3d object. the original polyline no longer exists.  In a practical sense, Before any Boolean is carried out, one could set the thickness back to '0' and get the original polyline back again.

If a 2D closed polyline is extruded.  The original polyline remains as a polyline and a brand new 3D object is created based on the shape of the polyline called simple extrude.  In case anyone mentions it,  there is an extra variant in Pro called compound profile, but not applicable in your deluxe.   So with Extrude one has the original polyline and also gets a new separate 3D extruded object as well.

* April 05, 2019, 01:27:55 PM
I should have mentioned I'm running TC 2018, Deluxe.

Yes, that's exactly what it appears I have - a 2d poly line under a 3d object.

Do I need to delete the 2d poly line to have a 3d printable solid?  Or, any problems if I do so?

* April 05, 2019, 01:36:56 PM
What I do is.  I select the part I want to print.  whilst still selected I go to 'Save-As'  Then in the save dialog box I tick 'Selected' then choose stl as the save type, and type in whatever name I want to call the file.  The reason I do it like this, is that I often have a few parts in the same TC file, but I want to print them separately as different files.

The stl file will not save 2D, so it is not a problem, it can be left in or deleted. What I would do is.  Put the 2D on a separate layer and turn the layer off. This means on can keep it in the TC file in case I need to re-created the object at some point.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:41:40 PM by Andy H »

* April 05, 2019, 02:52:19 PM
Ahh.  Thank you!  I guess my extrusions have been doing this all along - just haven't done an operation where I'd notice it..