TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Transparent text or watermark
Read 3850 times
January 19, 2015, 10:01:58 PM
I've been trying to use TC18Pro to watermark photos and can't seem to get the text to be transparent. I can create a box and hatch it and make it transparent but can't make the text inside transparent.

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to make text transparent?

TCPro2015 / TCPro18  / Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 5500 NVIDEA GeForce 930M

* January 19, 2015, 10:46:46 PM
Use the "Flexible" mode on the Text. Go to the "Pen" page and use the "Pen Width" to make it bolder. Go to the "Brush" page and apply a "Solid" hatch pattern with a "Transparency" (75% used in pic).

Edit: A different take on it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:53:15 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

January 20, 2015, 03:15:25 AM
Hi John,
My pen options in text properties doesn't allow changes to pen or brush (can't select anything). I can select 'bold' in text property values but doesn't make any difference to pen or brush selectivity. Not sure what you mean by 'flexible' mode either?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:22:52 AM by SteveS »

January 20, 2015, 05:37:58 AM
Hi John,
My pen options in text properties doesn't allow changes to pen or brush (can't select anything). I can select 'bold' in text property values but doesn't make any difference to pen or brush selectivity. Not sure what you mean by 'flexible' mode either?

[In case John doesn't get to this soon enough, and you want to keep working]

What you wrote above is because you didn't select "Flexible" in Text Properties/Text page; "Mode" Section.  See image below.

I changed it in your file; that's attached, as well.

~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

January 20, 2015, 05:59:00 AM
If you want/need to make the outline of the Text transparent, in addition to the Brush, I don't know how to do that (or, at least it's escaping me right now), while still keeping it officially "Text"-- "Text" that you can type in and change the characters within.

But if you absolutely need to have no "border" (outline) on the Text-- which I could see you wanting, if you are "watermarking" over photos-- here's what you can do (if no one offers a better remedy):

After getting the Text as close as you want, transparency-wise, and after you get the word(s) in the Text exactly what you want (it won't be editable), Explode the Text once (Select it; then go to Format->Explode).  This will leave you with a Group.  Select that Group, if it isn't already selected, and Edit it, Select All, and set the Pen type to "$INVISIBLE".

That's attached herewith.  ~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

January 20, 2015, 04:34:49 PM
After getting the Text as close as you want, transparency-wise, and after you get the word(s) in the Text exactly what you want (it won't be editable), Explode the Text once (Select it; then go to Format->Explode).  This will leave you with a Group.  Select that Group, if it isn't already selected, and Edit it, Select All, and set the Pen type to "$INVISIBLE".

That's attached herewith.  ~Alvin

I "Exploded" it once and can "Group" OK but when I select the "Group" text and set pen to "$INVISIBLE" doesn't seem to make any difference to outline of Group. Am I missing something? Notice in yours the "Group" text is set to "By Layer" in pen properties.

Have inserted 'Group' text "Watermark" in your drawing and reattached if any help.

January 20, 2015, 04:42:42 PM
I "Exploded" it once and can "Group" OK but when I select the "Group" text and set pen to "$INVISIBLE" doesn't seem to make any difference to outline of Group. Am I missing something? Notice in yours the "Group" text is set to "By Layer" in pen properties.

Have inserted 'Group' text "Watermark" in your drawing and reattached if any help.

I skipped over some details in a step, hoping that you knew you're way around TurboCAD enough that you could get there.

Here's what I want you to do:

>Select the Group
>While the Group is still selected, Go to Menu Bar/Edit/Edit Group Content
>You should now be in such a "mode" that only the Group's contents are selectable and editable.  Everything else in the Drawing should be in the background, kind of grayed-out, not selectable nor editable.

That's the key:  You have to first get into Edit Group Content "mode", which, in most current Workspace configurations, can also be accessed via the Local Menu, after selecting the Group, by right-clicking and activating "Edit Tool".

>We're not looking to edit the Properties of the Group, which is what you did; we are looking to edit the Properties of the Contents within the Group (which will be a closed Polyline for each Text character [which are no longer Text characters]).

>I advise keeping the Selection Info Palette open, and keeping an eye on it to see what everything that is selected is and becomes as you are working.

~Alvin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:05:55 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

January 20, 2015, 06:22:57 PM
Thanks Alvin (and John R.). Can now do transparent text and put a watermark on photos if needed.

Champions.
Steve.