TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

TC20 Pro
Read 7210 times
* March 19, 2013, 08:47:23 AM
I see that 20 is out. After the problems I have had with 19 I am sure I want to try 20. 19 has been a nightmare with the crashing on startup, symbols not loading on startup and crashing during an application. After all these years the inability to rearrange layers an lock them so they do not change. The roof tool has been harder to work with since the change was made in 17.
  I see all af the new things that help the modeling side of the program how much has the architectural side been improved? I will probably update and hope for the best but it would be nice to fix the ongoing problems along with the new stuff.
  Myron TCProPlat.32bit

* March 19, 2013, 06:31:15 PM
I see that 20 is out. After the problems I have had with 19 I am sure I want to try 20. 19 has been a nightmare with the crashing on startup, symbols not loading on startup and crashing during an application. After all these years the inability to rearrange layers an lock them so they do not change. The roof tool has been harder to work with since the change was made in 17.
  I see all af the new things that help the modeling side of the program how much has the architectural side been improved? I will probably update and hope for the best but it would be nice to fix the ongoing problems along with the new stuff.
  Myron TCProPlat.32bit

I agree 150%.  I have to believe that would be an easy problem for the programmers to fix.

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* March 19, 2013, 08:36:56 PM
I also use Turbocad for architectural drawings. I bought 18 for the architectural "improvements" without testing and was disappointed when a lot of the features that worked well in 17 didnt work anymore.
So I am testing 20 and a lot of the things that didnt work in 18 work now.  I havent had the urge to revert back to the program I know, like I did when I changed to 18.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* March 23, 2013, 04:14:00 PM
Just opened a drawing I worked on last night and started by moving a few dimensions. The first move gave me an "Unhandled Exception" and then crashed. It took me a reboot and 6 times restarting the program before I could get the program to work. 19 Pro has been like this since I bought it. Does sending a crash report really help, from my end I can not see where it has helped with the improve anything. Is 20 going to be a repeat. This reminds me of 12.
  Myron TCProPlat19.2

* March 25, 2013, 05:31:30 PM
Regarding the crashing problems at start up....We need more details and by all means please send the crash reports through to our crash server, because we do look at them.

There are typically 3 causes of this behavior at start-up. 
1. Video driver or conflict.
To test this, are you running with Redsdk enabled? If you disable it and run in GDI mode does the program still crash?

2. Other processes running in the background which are conflicting with TC. This can be ANY non-system related application or process regardless of size or memory used.

3. File and/or object corruption of some sort. In this case is is very helpful to post of gather drawing.  This can also be tested by either using the same tool or combinations of tools in a new from scratch drawing.   And or inserting an existing drawing into a new drawing sheet.

* March 25, 2013, 05:35:19 PM
Regarding the Roof tool, can you elaborate?  The only change we have made to the roof tool in several versions is the addition of the wall roof modifier.

Also as far as the layers go.
After all these years the inability to rearrange layers an lock them so they do not change.

Are you using the "Order" functionality?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:36:54 PM by Dave Taylor »

* March 25, 2013, 07:32:01 PM
Dave,

I know for myself, and I think I can speak for others also, with the layers what we are looking for is the ability to rearrange order of the layers listing in the design director and layers manager, and have that list order save with the file, so we don't have to keep rearranging them each time we open the file.  When you have a large number of layers, arranging them in ways that make sense to the draftsperson saves a lot of time searching for the right layer to make changes to.  See attached screenshots.  Currently it seems to be hit or miss if the layers listing order "sticks" when opening a saved drawing file.  It appears that each time a file is opened the listing reverts back to alphabetical order, correct?

I understand from the reference manual that the "order" function changes the order in which the layers are drawn.  Are you saying that also changes how they are listed?

Thanks for your interest Dave

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* March 25, 2013, 08:34:57 PM
Thanks for replying. For the crashing problem I may have found the problem. I recently moved all of my files from my C drive to a backp hard drive. All of my drawings are kept off of the C drive. Evidently TC does not like this arrangement. If I put All of the TC files back on the C drive things start working. I did this so I would not loose files if my computer craps out. I can just move to a new machine with no lost files.
 For the roof tool that is a different matter. In TC16 and previous versions when you set the thickness of a roof the measurement was taken vertically like a heel height on a rafter. When you drew a roof that had several different pitches this "heel height" remained the same no matter the pitch. the roof itself got thinner as the pitch increased but the heel height remained the same. Slicing a roof was easy then.
  After TC16 the roof thickness was taken perpendicular to the face of the roof. Now as the pitch changes so does the heel height. Now in the valleys where roofs of different pitches meet the thickness of the roofs are not the same. Whwn you slice these roofs the valleys are not correct. As a framing contractor for 30 years I depended on constant heel heights. I will try to add a couple of files showing this. The current tool makes me change the thickness baised upon roof pitch to keep the valleys correct