TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Please recommend a trustworthy Unit Conversion Gadget for Windows7
Read 7055 times
September 24, 2012, 12:17:58 PM
Is anyone using and can recommend a trustworthy Unit Conversion Gadget for Windows7?

I am tired of having to fire up Google to do this and thought that there must be some gadget, but I want to be sure it is something someone has used without issue.

* September 24, 2012, 01:01:24 PM
And you have try'd the calculator inside Win 7 ?
I never used my self but it is there.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* September 24, 2012, 01:09:12 PM
Do you want an actual "Windows Gadget"... or a program, Don?

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

September 24, 2012, 01:25:15 PM
And you have try'd the calculator inside Win 7 ?
I never used my self but it is there.

Torfinn

I use the Windows Calculator many times most days, but I never investigated the view menu very closely. I just did and was surprised to see that it can expand into a converter. Too bad it doesn't retain the From and To fields to the last used measure. It reverts to Angstroms when closed and reopened. This means extra steps to set up for a conversion.

I think the Google converter might be okay now that I an running Google Chrome. I can bookmark a link and place it on the easy access favorites bar. I always have my browser open, so one click and it opens and a quick entry and I have the conversion.

September 24, 2012, 01:30:19 PM
Do you want an actual "Windows Gadget"... or a program, Don?

Hi Greg,

That is what I had been hoping for because they are usually quite simple and are always on the desktop ready for use. I had seen this one (http://gadgetwe.com/2010/unit-converter-windows-gadget/) but I was hesitant to try since Window doesn't host gadgets anymore on their site and warn to ensure that any that are downloaded are from trusted sources. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets

* September 24, 2012, 01:43:42 PM
Actually.. the one you listed works fine.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* September 24, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
I don't know what you want to convert, but if it's a Imperial/Metric thing, I always go to my Construction Master Pro Desktop calculator. It's a 'real' calculator and not virtual, though I believe they have something for the computer.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

September 24, 2012, 07:46:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

John, that looks like a pretty good calculator. It would be extra cool if you could hook a USB line up to it so you could copy and paste from it. :-)

* September 24, 2012, 10:44:10 PM
The next best thing would be Construction Master Pro for Windows. They have a 30 day trial.

I don't know if this is relevant in your situation, but you can enter metric numbers into an Imperial drawing and vice versa. You just need to include "mm" (or whatever) on the end of the number being input.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:59:22 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* September 25, 2012, 09:30:58 AM
The next best thing would be Construction Master Pro for Windows. They have a 30 day trial.

I don't know if this is relevant in your situation, but you can enter metric numbers into an Imperial drawing and vice versa. You just need to include "mm" (or whatever) on the end of the number being input.

Sonofagun. Nice.

Henry H

September 25, 2012, 10:11:53 AM

Cool, Thanks John.

I am aware of the translation feature of TurboCAD, it is just that sometimes I get vendor drawings in PDF format only and need to make sure that their dims match my client masters. My client uses Imperial (no dual dims) and many of their customers use metric (no dual dims) so it makes checking that much more trouble. As Alvin has said in another thread, it would be nice if the US would make the switch to metric, or we would all just use dual dims in our drawings.

September 26, 2012, 08:05:44 AM
Hi Don
I have used a little program called convert for a long time, it free and works well. see link below
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
Paul

User Since V8, currently using TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2018.
Always leave the back door open, you never know when you might need to run out it.

September 26, 2012, 08:12:37 AM
Hi Don
I have used a little program called convert for a long time, it free and works well. see link below
Paul

Thanks Paul, that looks like a great little converter. I downloaded and had a quick look and it seems to have it covered, including the options.

* September 26, 2012, 08:33:58 AM
Hi Don
Paul

Thanks Paul, that looks like a great little converter. I downloaded and had a quick look and it seems to have it covered, including the options.

In the past... I've use both the joshmadison converter and the Gadget you listed above... and the Gadget works very similar, Don. Just thought I would throw that in since you were wondering about the Gadget. It does keep the last units used for each category upon shutting down and restarting Windows... so that is kind of nice.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

September 26, 2012, 08:34:41 AM
Hi Don
Paul

In the past... I've use both the joshmadison converter and the Gadget you listed above... and the Gadget works very similar, Don. Just thought I would throw that in since you were wondering about the Gadget. It does keep the last units used for each category upon shutting down and restarting Windows... so that is kind of nice.

Thanks Greg.