TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

3D in V16 versus V12
Read 3274 times
* September 23, 2009, 03:25:28 AM
I use V12 Pro and it suits my 2D needs admirably.

I have found assembly of 3D objects in V12 difficult/near impossible and wondered whether this has been simplified/made more intuitive in V16?

There is a good upgrade offer in the UK at the moment, but I need to move quickly to take advantage.

Also, when designing for plastic mouldings, is it possible to get the draw angle made automatically?
This is certainly a feature of other (much more expensive) packages but I'm not clear from the blurb whether it applies to TC.

Thanks

September 23, 2009, 11:29:12 AM
We have added assemble by axis tools since v12.  Are you having trouble rotating the objects so they match up correctly or placing objects in relation to each other?

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* September 23, 2009, 11:46:34 AM
Hi Turbotech

My main problem has been placing objects in relation to each other.

Example - I needed to do an assembly drawing. I drew a ribbon cable (with twists and bends OK) and a connector (full model with pins, polarising slot and everything).
I could NOT join the two pieces together! If I got it right in one view, the parts were miles apart in another.

September 23, 2009, 12:34:35 PM
Best thing to do is relocate the reference point of the object you are going to move then use snaps or sekes to move the objects together, then use the delta fields to adjust them.  It sound more complicated than it is.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

September 23, 2009, 12:54:05 PM
Here is a quick example, let me know if this helps. 

http://downloads.imsidesign.com/Flash/moving3dobjects/moving3dobjects.html

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* September 23, 2009, 08:22:02 PM
Mike, modify|assemble| by 3 points should do what you want for one object (or group/block), generic transformation by 6 points is essentially the same function, except that you can assemble multiple selected objects by moving them (the same displacement) at once.  The 3 points are prioritised, the first point-to-point is an exact meeting, the next point-to-point will define assembly axis, the last will define the rotation of the moved object around it.   I find them very intuitive.  These transformations are feature-based,  not requiring any other adjustment.
If by draw, you mean mold draft, then no, TC doesn't do it automatically.  Draft is able to be applied with extrusions and other objects, but it's relative to the creation plane of the object at the time of it's creation, not able to be applied subsequently relative to another feature.

I should qualify the last statement: draft CAN be applied manually, but conditionally, with the facet editor.  Conditions include that the facet displacement doesn't break into, or out of, adjoining blends or fillets, or similar features on adjoining faces.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:43:44 PM by murray dickinson »

* September 25, 2009, 01:45:02 AM
Thanks guys!

It sounds as though the tools are improved in V16, but the learning curve is just as steep.
I need to practice assembly with some simple objects rather than dive straight in.

Murray - the draw angle/mould draft on extrusion is just what I need for the simple shapes that I would require.

I'd better order the upgrade now, before the offer closes.