TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

viewport move over other viewport
Read 10680 times
September 13, 2012, 06:26:43 AM
I have a PS drawing where I have two viewports. I would like one smaller viewport to be over the top of the main one and obliterate anything of the main viewport that it is over, if that makes sense. A bit like using 'move to the front' in other applications. Can I do this?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

* September 13, 2012, 07:56:51 AM
Try putting a plain white rectangle under it Nickam, and set the draw order accordingly. Yes you can move an object or viewport forward or backwards.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:00:44 AM by Michael Geraghty »

September 13, 2012, 08:06:14 AM
Not sure what you mean by putting a plain white rectangle under it Michael. I tride just drawing a rectangle and also a rectangle with a fill but that didn't seem to work. Clicking on the small viewport and sending to front still left the portion of the drawing in the other viewport showing through the smaller viewport, so that didn't seem to work either  ???

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* September 13, 2012, 08:24:38 AM
Not on my machine at present Nickam, but the viewports also have a transparency setting, if you do not solve it I will try when I am on my machine later.

* September 13, 2012, 09:10:58 AM
Hello Nickam, I have just tried, and apparently , upto now at least, redsdk renders do not appear to mask the background viewport with the paper colour, however, a gdi hidden line viewport  will overlay a redsdk  rendered viewport, and a gdi rendered viewport  will overlay another gdi rendered viewport.

The stacking order still has to be applied.

September 13, 2012, 09:14:07 AM
You've lost me there a bit Michael. Are you saying that I should turn off redsdk and the stacking will work?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* September 13, 2012, 09:22:02 AM
No Nickam, no need to turn redsdk off, just set the rendering  style for the topmost viewport to ordinary hidden line and not redsdk hidden line. I am assuming you are using hidden line, and not wireframe. No need for the filled rectangle either.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:29:20 AM by Michael Geraghty »

* September 13, 2012, 09:25:47 AM
Nick, Can you simply edit the "shape" of the Viewport that you want on the bottom.  Select|Edit Node-> Add some nodes as required, then Snap those nodes to the Vertex(es) (and/or Middle, Nearest on Graphic, etc.) of the Viewport that you want on top.  That would seem to be the "cleanest" way.

Remember, Viewports do not have to be a simple rectangle.  -Alvin

Edit:  Sample Screen-Captures Attached Below  (Edit #2:  Whoops: I got a little hurried and sloppy in my drawing.  In the the first two pictures below, I didn't have the bottom Viewport's node that is at the top/left of the top Viewport exactly at the Vertex.  I corrected that before creating picture 3.  -Alvin)

Edit #3:  After re-reading Nick's original post, this Topic, it occurs to me that Nick may be wanting to put the "top", smaller, Viewport within the boundaries of the "lower", larger Viewport.  If that is the case, then my method described in this Post, does not work at all.  (Edit #4:  In the "....-4 .pic below you can see that I had a solution:  I added a bunch of nodes to the larger Viewport; Snapped these nodes at all four corner vertices of the smaller, interior rectangular Viewport, closing to itself; made the larger/bottom Viewport line "Invisible"; then added my own rectanglular Polyline (in Black), Snapping to the corners of the larger/bottom Viewport.  This process you can see in "Paperspace 1" of the attached .tcw drawing created in ver. 11.2
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:19:16 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 13, 2012, 09:48:14 AM
Nick, Can you simply edit the "shape" of the Viewport that you want on the bottom.  Select|Edit Node-> Add some nodes as required, then Snap those nodes to the vertex(es) of the Viewport that you want on top.  That would seem to be the "cleanest" way.

Remember, Viewports do not have to be a simple rectangle.  -Alvin

Alvin redsdk rendered viewports will not overlay rendered redsdk  viewport, even if the boundary of the bottom viewport is shaped around the top viewport.

I am using v18.1 pro platinum, and it may have been remedied in v19, but from what I can see, redsdk rendered viewports will not mask redsdk rendered viewports, although a gdi rendered will mask a redsdk rendered or another gdi rendered viewport.

September 13, 2012, 12:16:38 PM
Hey Alvin, I didn't realise you could add nodes to a viewport. That was just what I was looking for. Just like adding a polygonal viewport in Autocad. Brilliant! just what I was looking for  ;D

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* September 13, 2012, 12:52:27 PM
Hey Alvin, I didn't realise you could add nodes to a viewport. That was just what I was looking for. Just like adding a polygonal viewport in Autocad. Brilliant! just what I was looking for  ;D

Yeah.  You can make the Viewport pretty much any shape you want.  I always thought a Star-shaped Viewport (see .pic "...-5" below*) would be kinda' cool; never had the opportunity to use one, though.

In my version 11.2, there is an option available via the Local Menu when Inserting a Viewport that allows us to select a pre-drawn closed entity (like a circle, or irregular polygon- such as a star) and use that shape as the Viewport shape.

However, I don't know if or how RedSDK effects or limits this in the most recent version(s) of TurboCAD.  (as Michael was trying to communicate to me/us earlier in this Topic.)  -Alvin

*(again, in the .pic below ["... -5"], the star-shaped Viewport line is set to "Invisible"; and a Black polyline drawn over the Viewport perimeter.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:58:53 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 13, 2012, 02:16:58 PM
Messing around with this a little more, Nick.  (I've got nothing else to do this afternoon)  This is pretty cool:

• In Paperspace, before Inserting a Viewport, I created two closed 2D entities; The first was that star that I showed in a previous post; the second was a circle within that star.
  • Then I used Pick Point Hatch, and clicked in the space between the outer edges of the star and the circle within the star.  That resulted in what appears as a solid star with a "hole" in it.
  • Then I set the Brush of the Hatch I just created to "None".
  • Then I went to Insert|Viewport; and via Local Menu, selected "Shaped Viewport", and clicked on that "star with a hole in it" 2D entity (that was originally the Pick Point Hatch).  When the window popped up, I selected my Named View "Viewport on Bottom".
  • Drew a circle right over the circle within the star.
  • Again went to Insert|Viewport, and selected Local Menu option "Shaped Viewport", and selected my just drawn circle.  When the window popped up, I selected my Named View "Viewport on Top".

What you were trying to achieve originally was quickly and pretty easily achieved.  It really came down to the Pick Point Hatch.  Below is a picture of the Paperspace results, utilizing the method I described in this post.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

October 04, 2012, 02:42:22 AM
You've obviously been having fun with that Alvin. Being able to add nodes has solved my problem and a fairly simple way to do it. I like simple ;D

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.