TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale
Read 7093 times
August 17, 2012, 08:37:51 AM
Hi All,

Even after using TurboCAD somewhat proficiently for many years, there are still many very fundamental things that I don't know and/or understand; most of those I have complacently elected to just overlook or ignore.  While helping someone else in the Forums resolve an issue they were having, I discovered that I have no idea what Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale does.  I mean: I thought I knew, but when I messed around with it a bunch- along with drawing and selecting objects in Model Space- nothing really changes or happens. (This is merely for my own education-- Since I mainly draw 2D Architectural in California- where we use feet ['] and inches ["]- I have always drawn in Model Space and had Scale set to Architectural and Full Size)

Can someone please Post a brief tutorial on what I should be expecting from the Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale feature, while in Model Space.  Does this feature even work?  (I'm referring to both my versions 11.2 and 19)

Below, for reference, is my screen-capture.

Thanks, Alvin

*Edit*:  I answered this in my later Post, Reply #3 on: 12/17/2012 at 12:54:37 pm
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:57:22 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 17, 2012, 09:17:43 AM

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

August 17, 2012, 09:36:03 AM
Sometimes Wiki can be a good source for these kind of queries

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Options+Space+Units&highlight=space%20units

Thanks for the reply wd.  Yeah, the Wiki was the second place I looked, after the Help Topics.  Unfortunately, both kind of explain how Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale should work- it's pretty much what one would intuitively infer.

But, like I say, when I mess with it (a bunch), no results demonstrate that anything is really happening.  Makes me think that it just really kind of doesn't work, or something.

----
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone can explain more on the beneficial use of Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale, what we should expect from it, and if it really does what we (intuitively) think it should.  --e.g.: If I am in Model Space, with Architectural/Full Scale, and I draw a Wall that is 10' long, then I go up there and change to Architectural/¼"=1', then Select the Wall, in the Inspector Bar and Selection Info Metrics, it still shows 10'-0".  Likewise, after I changed the Scale to Architectural/¼"=1', and draw a new object of 10' in length, then Select it, the Inspector Bar (and when Dimensioned) still shows 10'-0".  I would have thought it would show 480' or something.

----
Anyway, not urgent or dire, or anything.  Just wanted to get a handle on understanding this (Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale)- especially since it is such a basic/fundamental element of CAD.

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:55:02 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

August 17, 2012, 12:54:37 PM
All Right.  For those who are interested, I figured out the answer to my original question in the first Post in this Topic.:

As is often the case, the TurboCAD Help Topics, and TurboCAD Wiki don't at all communicate effectively what Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale does.

For some reason (sub-conscious hunch?) I started a New drawing, using the Page Setup Wizard .  The dialogue in the windows in that procedure aided me in figuring out what is meant by Scale in Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units|Scale.  This is simply the Printing Scaling of the drawing in Model Space.  Just like Model Space Printing Scale in File|Page Setup.  Choosing Architectural, Engineering, or Absolute just changes the Format of the Scaling value.

It's just for Printing Scaling in Model Space, not for Workspace scaling (which is adjusted lower in the Drawing Setup|Space Units window).

Like I said:  Help and the Wiki do not communicate this to where it is easily understood.  (From the Wiki:  "Scale: The ratio of measurements on the page (Paper units) to measurements in the object being modeled (World units).).  The Page Setup Wizard, Page 4 (screen-capture below) does a good job of explaining Scale (when "Scale" is used in the context as discussed in this Topic- the term "Scale" can mean a few things in TurboCAD.)

In Options|Drawing Setup|Space Units, instead of the Heading "Scale", the Heading "Printing Scale" would be more appropriate and useful....   but that's a whole other topic altogether.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:22:27 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* August 17, 2012, 01:10:58 PM
 :)To understand- you are defining the current drawing limits and plotting scale for model space.
In model space draw a rectangle 40’w x 16’ht  then right click on the model space tab and choose properties under space units set the scale to ¼”=1’ then > go to file> page setup>page and check keep centered and make sure printer paper size and drawing sheet size are landscape 8.5”x11”.  The model space printing scale should read ¼”=1’. Then right click on model space tab and choose print current and make sure fit on 1 page is not checked. Then print the file. Then check the dimension of the rectangle with a ruler, the rectangle should measure 10”wx4”ht.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

January 09, 2013, 12:57:25 PM
As is often the case, the TurboCAD Help Topics, and TurboCAD Wiki don't at all communicate effectively

I find this to be generally  the case.

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum