TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Guidance Requested on Drawing Walls in 2D Floor Plan
Read 7359 times
* August 03, 2012, 04:25:30 PM
Hello,

I am new to TurboCAD, and would like to ask advice on how to draw walls on a 2D floor plan.  I am currently using the walls tool, and it works well.  I appreciate the built-in features, such as self-healing. I created blocks for other common floor plan objects (doors, windows) My concern, however, is that walls in TurboCAD are really a 3D object. Would be it more efficient to use another tool (say double line) to create walls as 2D objects?  Or should I be concerned about this at all, and continue to use the walls tool?

Thank you very much for any advice you could give me.

Kate---

TurboCAD Professional 19.1 Platinum

Kate---

TurboCAD Professional V19.1 x64

* August 03, 2012, 05:24:37 PM
Hello,

however, is that walls in TurboCAD are really a 3D object. Would be it more efficient to use another tool (say double line) to create walls as 2D objects?  Or should I be concerned about this at all, and continue to use the walls tool?

Thank you very much for any advice you could give me.

Kate---

"Double line Polyline" and "Double line tools" would be another option.
T meet 2 Double Lines & Intersect 2 Double lines would help with Self Healing.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* August 03, 2012, 10:34:51 PM
The Wall tool does have its drawbacks, where the Double Line tools doesn't; such as two Walls in the same location. If drawing a multistory building, Walls should be at the Z-height they're being built at, otherwise you get an 'interference-X' in the walls. Double Lines can be in the same place and 'plane and not create these interference problems.

The big downside to Double Lines is that it doesn't work with Blocks like the Wall tool. A Block won't 'open' a Double Line or move within it. There's a lot of possible editing and re-editing to get similar results as the Wall tool. You can't use the Door or Window tools on Double Line, which seems a waste of getting the Platinum edition. If you don't look at the drawing outside of Plan View, you'll never notice that the Door or Window is 3D, while your Wall is 2D.

Once you get past some of the idiosyncrasies of the Wall tool, transitioning into 3D (down the road) won't seem that difficult.

my 2¢

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* August 04, 2012, 09:04:43 AM
Don and John,

Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful to know some of the advantages and disadvantages of the wall tool as well as other options for creating walls on a floor plan. I do want to enter the 3D world, as I am amazed at renderings produced by this community in the gallery section of the forum.  With your advice, I think I shall continue to use the wall tool because of its capabilities, and I will learn how to put the bottom of the walls at a Z axis of zero for now.

Thank you again,

Kate---

Kate---

* August 04, 2012, 09:45:34 AM
While maintaining a 2d environment you can have a lot of fun creating all types of 2d blocks and inserting them into architectural walls. The 2d blocks self-intersect (cut out) into the walls. You can have 1st floor, 2nd floor plans. The trick is to assign a desired thickness (6”)etc; then assign a .001 height to your architectural wall..i am not sure if this helps you, see picture below.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* August 04, 2012, 03:18:57 PM
Dean,

That makes so much sense!  I feel silly for not considering an almost zero height wall.  It helped tremendously. Thank you very much.

Kate---

Kate---

* August 04, 2012, 06:24:07 PM
Dean,

That makes so much sense!  I feel silly for not considering an almost zero height wall.  It helped tremendously. Thank you very much.

Kate---

Now that you mention it...

You can make the wall height exactly zero. And your Blocks can be 2D rectangles. They will insert into your wall exactly as if everything were 3D.

Henry H
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:28:03 PM by Henry Hubich »

* August 05, 2012, 10:54:18 AM
Thank you Henry. It is really helpful to know that walls can be a zero height object. Now if I can only figure out how to make the wall tool behave like I want it to...but that's another post to the forum.

Thank you again,

Kate---

Kate---

* August 05, 2012, 12:27:06 PM
"Now that you mention it...

You can make the wall height exactly zero"

Yes, but you won’t be able to render cause turbo thinks there is no surface. When you apply a .001 height to the walls and then go to the wall property page it will say “0” height, but it’s not (really) ??? and you will be able to render a view. If you type in “0” as the height and hit ok then it’s back to a”0” height. I prefer the .001 height giving me the flexibility to render colors/materials with a view if need be.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:53:26 PM by Dean »

Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* August 05, 2012, 12:51:06 PM
"Now that you mention it...

You can make the wall height exactly zero"

Yes, but you won’t be able to render cause turbo thinks there is no surface. When you apply a .001 height to the walls and then go to the wall property page it will say “0” height, but it’s not (really) ??? and you will be able to render a view. If you type in “0” as the height and hit ok then it’s back to a”0” height. I prefer the .001 height giving me the flexibility to render colors with a view if need be.

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of that.

Henry H

* August 05, 2012, 12:51:49 PM
re: …I prefer the .001 height giving me the flexibility to render colors with a view if need be.

Why not use the Brush pattern in either the normal Properties for a single component wall or through the Style Manager if you have a multi-component wall. No need to render then.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 05, 2012, 01:00:35 PM
Yea, You can use the brush styles on a wall with a “0” height but ya still can’t utilize any render options > like materials,(forgot to metion) lighting etc.: to enhance an illustration.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:02:23 PM by Dean »

* August 05, 2012, 02:07:20 PM
I'm going on the assumption that this is just a basic unrendered 2D floorplan. Rendering is another can of worms altogether.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 05, 2012, 03:28:00 PM
If I could "have my cake and eat it, too", it would be great to be able to draw walls as a 2D object while I am coming up to speed on TurboCAD.  Later, when I am confident enough to tackle 3D illustrations, it would be great to take the 2D floor plan and add 3D characteristics that could be rendered. Do you think this could be accomplished by assigning a wall height of .001 and later going back and assigning the actual wall height along with other attributes, like materials and lighting? Is there any down side to this???

I am very thankful for all I am learning on the forum!

Kate---

August 09, 2012, 10:55:28 AM
Hi Kate,

Having used TurboCAD over the years for mostly 2D residential permitting/construction drawings, I take an intersest in threads such as these you have started.  Having been a framing-contractor and general-contractor for the past many years (as well as a residential designer/draftsman)- and not at all being a "computer-graphics" guy, I have yet to find much (paying $$) utility for much 3D work in my geographic area (though I do utilize 3D beneficially to illustrate or "figure things out" sometimes).

I've done a lot of the types of 2D residential drawings similar to what you are trying to do/learn.

I can still readily remember learning (via usually late-night or early-morning back-and-forths with the more knowledgeable in this Forum).  I would say that- at this point of what you are trying to accomplish, and in your point in the learning-curve- I would suggest going with: a) definitely using the Walls Tool as opposed to double-lines, or the like; and b) using a 0" wall-height (in the 3D properties tab, in my ver. 11)  There will be a lot less complications later (like maybe on your future thread with your Openings Blocks not behaving correctly).  

(If you want to for the fun of it- after you somewhat finished your basic walls layout- you can select all your walls [Edit|Select By|Entity Type|"Wall"] and assign a height to them [like 10'-1", for example].  Then go to a Standard Isometric View and see what can easily be done- see what they look like (that's really cool the first time).  Just "Undo" afterwards.)

Anyway... for now, at the point you are, I would definitely suggest that you stay in 2D drawing, and assign nothing more than a 0" height to anything (the default height- meaning that if you do nothing, everything will be in 2D, with 0 height)

-Alvin
like I said- What you are trying to do and learn is exactly up my alley, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on your posts for a while.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:57:58 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 10, 2012, 06:27:32 AM
Hi Alvin,

I really appreciate your reply to my post. I have read posts that seem to question TC support for construction professionals, so it is reassuring to know that you are successfully using TurboCAD to accomplish  tasks very similar as what I am trying to do.    I see much amazing 3D work done by members of this forum using the tool, but not too many examples of 2D work. (Not as visually flash, I suppose.)

I will do as you suggested and use the wall tool with zero height walls. It does work well.  As Henry suggested, I will stay with the default TC door and window widget while I get the hang of the tool. More consistency in how I draw the walls would be helpful, too.

I would love to see more folks post their 2D work in the Gallery and share their "good practices" for using TC to produce working drawings, especially in the area of construction.  Maybe not as pretty as 3D renders, but working drawings are how things really gets done, in my opinion.

Having this forum available and active members with much product experience is a blessing.  You will see "W359" posts in here frequently as I continue to come up to speed.

With many thanks,

Kate---

Kate---

August 10, 2012, 07:11:39 AM
Hi Alvin,

I really appreciate your reply to my post. I have read posts that seem to question TC support for construction professionals, so it is reassuring to know that you are successfully using TurboCAD to accomplish  tasks very similar as what I am trying to do.    I see much amazing 3D work done by members of this forum using the tool, but not too many examples of 2D work. (Not as visually flash, I suppose.)

I will do as you suggested and use the wall tool with zero height walls. It does work well.  As Henry suggested, I will stay with the default TC door and window widget while I get the hang of the tool. More consistency in how I draw the walls would be helpful, too.

I would love to see more folks post their 2D work in the Gallery and share their "good practices" for using TC to produce working drawings, especially in the area of construction.  Maybe not as pretty as 3D renders, but working drawings are how things really gets done, in my opinion.

Having this forum available and active members with much product experience is a blessing.  You will see "W359" posts in here frequently as I continue to come up to speed.

With many thanks,

Kate---

Hi Kate, Like I said- what you are trying to learn right now (residential 2D construction drawings) is right of my alley.  In fact, regarding your wish that there was more "shared" by us Forum users- in regards to our 2D residential construction drawings- many months ago I shared and posted some drawing files (or maybe it was a single file) with my rationale for Drawing set-up, Layers management, Viewport and Paperspace usage, etc.  I got a lot of positive feedback from other Forum users, saying they found it really helpful.

Maybe you can do a search for it.  I remember that John R.(?) [I think that's who it was], in particualar, commenting very positively and being appreciative of my "share".  It wasn't in the Galleries Forum, it would be in General Discussion or Problems (likely Problems)

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:46:41 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)