TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

2D better in TCT or DWG format?
Read 1157 times
* June 04, 2012, 06:16:40 AM
I use TurboCAD mainly for 2D house drawings. I've always used the TCT format where the wall function is in 3D and you can insert windows and doors easily. I've never really figured out how to use it solely in 2D.. 

I note however that DWG format is a smaller file size and may be easier to use. The DWG format in TurboCAD however seems to be temperamental. Once I re-open the DWG file my settings like space units (metric changed back to English), dimension formats, text sizes etc has all changed again.

Alternatively is there a function in TCT format to have the walls in 2D mode where you can insert doors and windows automatically? I don't use the workplane as I don't have a clue how to (would this even be necessary in 2D mode?). TCT files also seem to work better with hatching etc.

Any help will be much appreciated.

June 04, 2012, 09:59:26 AM
TCW is the native format for TC.  TCT format is for templates.   I think that it is the same file format but it is reserved for creating standard templates that one uses over and over.  TC comes with some templates and I have created my own which I use to start every drawing.

If you use DWG format TC has to convert it every time you save and re-load.  The conversion is not always perfect and that is why you get the chance in units.  You can set some parameters of how DWG saves if you do a save as and click on the setup button in the save-as dialog box that pops up.  Your best bet is to use the TCw format and you will get fewer mistakes.  Use the DWG format if you have to transfer your file to an AutoCad product.

With respect to workplanes I would try to get a handle on them.  Don Cheke has a website wilth many tutorials and I think he has one on workplanes.  I resisted understanding workplanes for a long time and only drew in 2D.  I was having problems with entities not reacting properly because they would end up on a stray workplane.  Once I figured it out I started using them to separate floor levels even though I still was drawing in 2D.  Setting separate workplanes for each floor allowed me to stack the floor plans for coordination and not have walls on the 2nd floor interact with walls on the first floor.  Now I draw in 3D and the use of workplanes is imperative.

A simplistic explanation of a workplane is that of a glass topped table where all objects associated with that workplane rest.  You can create different workplanes at different heights to put your objects on.  You can make the objects on each workplane interact with each other but an object on workplane A will not interact with an object on workplane B.  In 2D drawing your workplanes will usually all be horizontal, but as you start into 3D they can be located at any angle but still represent an 2D surface on which to work.

Hope this helps

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* June 05, 2012, 12:13:15 PM
Hi thanks for the reply and helpful tips. I will certainly learn the workplanes function more.

I was wondering whether in TCW format, if there is a straight forward 2D mode? I know there is an option to toggle between 2D and 3D mode, but I never really use the 3D function. I would just like to try and keep things as simple as possible when not utilising the 3D mode.