TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

missing features in TurboCAD Deluxe?
Read 4450 times
* September 08, 2009, 08:07:59 PM
I just upgraded to TurboCAD Deluxe v16 after using v15 Designer for a year or two.  I have been reading the documentation, but can't make some of the features work.

1) Extruded shapes.  The documentation talks about the "Use Compound Profile" to extrude compound shapes.  This option isn't there in TCad Deluxe.  How do I extrude a shape with a hole in it (just a 1" diameter circle in a 2" square would be an example, leaving the 1" circle as a hole).

2) One of the big reasons that I upgraded to Deluxe was to get some automation for generating drawings.  The documentation (which I read before buying) talks about Parameterized shapes, but that feature doesn't seem to exist in Deluxe.  Is the documentation wrong, or am I missing some way to enable it?  The Deluxe documentation also includes a lot of SDK information, but it isn't very clear what works in Deluxe vs what works in Pro.  Does any of it work in Deluxe?

thanks,
alex

September 08, 2009, 08:40:24 PM
I am afraid that the manual doesn't do a very good job of distinguishing between Pro and Deluxe. All those things you mention are Pro features. The manual should be more accurate and the company has been chastised many times for this lack of clarity.

* September 09, 2009, 06:46:46 AM
I have to wonder what makes it Deluxe if it is missing some of these basic features.  I sort of feel like I've been had, and I should have stuck with the $30 Designer...

Even the advertising material for Deluxe talks about using the Extrude feature to extrude complex shapes, but that doesn't work in Deluxe.

Does _any_ of the SDK work, or is it just included to confuse?

* September 09, 2009, 08:19:45 AM
The Platinum version is the way to go In my opinion.The Deluxe version is a sort of comparison to AC LT.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 09, 2009, 09:19:06 AM
I have to wonder what makes it Deluxe if it is missing some of these basic features.  I sort of feel like I've been had, and I should have stuck with the $30 Designer...

Even the advertising material for Deluxe talks about using the Extrude feature to extrude complex shapes, but that doesn't work in Deluxe.

Does _any_ of the SDK work, or is it just included to confuse?

Designer is strictly 2D, and IMO doesn't even handle that very well.

You can extrude complex shapes in Deluxe, but if your profile consists of more than one entity, you must first weld them together with Join Polyline. Alternatively, select them all, use Format|Create Hatch, and extrude the hatch itself. See attached screenshot.

SDK is available in Pro only.

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]