TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

3d spline shows thru solids
Read 2881 times
* September 08, 2009, 08:31:40 AM
I have a series of sprockets and am using a 3D spline to show the chain path. The problem is the spline shows THROUGH other surfaces. Same problem with 3D polyline.

See attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* September 08, 2009, 09:51:31 AM
Disable "Nonrenderable objects" in View|Camera|Properties|Rendering. If the choice is grayed out, select the appropriate rendering mode in the dialog's left hand window.

Henry H

September 08, 2009, 09:58:01 AM
Hallo Henry,

I think he wants to show the path. When you use Nonrenderable Objects, the path isn´t shown.

I would make a pathextrusion along the splin with a small circle and like Henry said use nonrenderable objects.

RUdl

* September 08, 2009, 10:26:38 AM
Hallo Henry,

I think he wants to show the path. When you use Nonrenderable Objects, the path isn´t shown.

I would make a pathextrusion along the splin with a small circle and like Henry said use nonrenderable objects.

RUdl

OK; I agree.

Henry H

* September 08, 2009, 05:39:32 PM
path extrusion appears not to be available in Deluxe and I can't seem to get rail sweep  to recognize the 2D circle as an object. Thanks for the ideas.

* September 08, 2009, 07:47:59 PM
path extrusion appears not to be available in Deluxe and I can't seem to get rail sweep  to recognize the 2D circle as an object. Thanks for the ideas.

Path extrusion went away during the v12.x days. Rail Sweep in Deluxe should recognize the 2D circle. Click the circle, then the path. (Works for me in 14.2 Deluxe.)

Henry H

* September 08, 2009, 07:54:58 PM
Henry - I suspect I've got some workplane issue. The spline path is in the Y and Z axis. I create the circle in the X and Y axis then rotate it to be in X and Z (perpendicular to Y and Z).

Insert | 3D | Rail Sweep | Select Object

When I go to select the circle I can't. I have all snaps on and nothing seems to grab it.

* September 08, 2009, 09:52:18 PM
Henry - I suspect I've got some workplane issue. The spline path is in the Y and Z axis. I create the circle in the X and Y axis then rotate it to be in X and Z (perpendicular to Y and Z).

Insert | 3D | Rail Sweep | Select Object

When I go to select the circle I can't. I have all snaps on and nothing seems to grab it.

Not sure what your problem is; I tried to duplicate it by creating a Spline in the YZ plane and a circle in the XY plane, then rotating the circle 90 deg about the X axis -- and Rail Sweep worked just fine. Only way I could duplicate your problem was to lock the Layer on which the circle resides. (BTW, you're better off using No Snaps to select the circle and the path, but I doubt that's the cause of your difficulty.)

Henry H