TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Very Basic Question on Reference locations.
Read 3247 times
* March 26, 2012, 02:50:33 PM
In my stumbling around I found-

Turbocad.community  and
Turbocaddoc.confluence.com

Which is the more up to date, what are the differences and which is the best to use?

Confluence seems to be the user manual plus.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 27, 2012, 05:39:51 AM
Turbocaddoc.confluence.com is the online Help file. They create their offline Help file (PDF) from this site. It is probably the more up-to-date site.

TurboCADCommunity.com also belongs to IMSI/Design, but was set up for users to post information. Unfortunately, only a handful of people ever contributed to it (years ago) and only one person these days. Since being hit by a rash of spammers last year, it's been closed to the general public (as far as posting/editing). A lot of the info in this site is the same as what is found in Help, though there are expanded sections. In general, the graphics are better on the community site, because there are no limitations like they have on the Help site.

I guess some of the complaining has done something; the online Help file has an Index (as of the 26th).
TurboCAD 19 Users Guide: Index
versus
TurboCAD Community: Index

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 27, 2012, 07:28:01 AM
John -

I had a long phone conversation with Dave Taylor, Product Manager last night. It was very interesting and shed some light on why some things have happened.

You are correct in that the on-line version is much more up to date (Revised Daily :o). We also discussed the off-line help and there seem to be some problems going from the on-line version to PDF. They are working on it.

We also discussed RUBY and links to it's information as well as customized programming were added. According to Dave there is no question as to TC progressing along the Ruby path.

I asked about some sort of an 'Update Aid' that could be used to automatically get the previous releases  files, that have your customized efforts, and replace the new release ones. No promises but - what the hay!

I may have harped a little too much on testing and new release bugs, but he was nice about it. In an e-mail I suggested that they utilize staff to form a 'Black Hat' team that try to break the new releases.

I also got an insight as to why the UI is being changed. TC is making the changes to compete with some of the other CAD packages. That is a valid concept from the marketing standpoint, but, IMHO, may aggravate the current customers.

All in all it was a very pleasant interchange and I really appreciated the call. Mark Maier was my sales rep and he was more than helpful. I'm stil asking for return authorization but will spend another day or so looking at it.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 27, 2012, 09:21:36 AM
re: TC is making the changes to compete with some of the other CAD packages. That is a valid concept from the marketing standpoint, but, IMHO, may aggravate the current customers.

Aggravates them and then some.  >:(

Trying to give someone basic directions has now become an impossibility. You tell a person to go to such-n-such menu and they tell you "I can't find it". After a few of those, one begins to realize……the end is near. I looked at their Default Menus and all I see is an abortion for the most part. Let's hide some of the most used tools three layers deep in the Modify menu along with a bunch of other unrelated tools.

I could go on, but it's pointless.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 27, 2012, 10:08:01 AM
Well said!

While you are here - I am using the Demo 19 ( I have the real one but I don't want to break the seal in case I return it). I have copied and pasted the .xcfg and .xml files. In the customize menu I can load them but they don't seem to take effect. Is that because of the Demo restrictions?

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 27, 2012, 10:59:37 AM
As far as I know they should work. Does the "1024x768pro_pre19" configuration change the workspace?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 27, 2012, 11:12:53 AM
John
Not that I can tell. I tried all the load from options and no effect. It would not surprise me if they were disabled in the demo.
Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 27, 2012, 11:39:31 AM
After you selected the configuration, did you click on the "Load From" button?

These two pix show the basic differences.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 27, 2012, 12:03:15 PM
John
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
I'm an ijut!
I thought that just changed it when you pressed enter.
It worked fine.

With the Classic UI and my old right click keys it almost seems like home.
Thanks for your help.

I did find that I had to upgrade my display driver and return Native Draw to GDI to clean up my print font. Since I don't render --- yet--- that should not bother me.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 27, 2012, 12:47:33 PM
re: It worked fine.

Good to hear. It's the little details that getcha.  ;D

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 27, 2012, 02:44:21 PM
I just had one of those 'exploration adventures'.  ;)   Trying to find where the copy in place command resides so I could add it to my popups. I may just continue browsing the 'all commands' list and see what else is not on the menu's.

For what it's worth - if you do a customized icon for a non-iconed command, it does not transfer. In my case I had an self made icon assigned to 'erase all construction lines' and when it was loaded it was back to just the text "All construction". Now like most things it is probably something I did, so I'm not bothering about it. ;D

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* March 27, 2012, 10:45:57 PM
The "Copy in Place" tool is in the "SDK" menu which contains just 2 tools. Aside from finding it in the "All Commands" section, it can be found in the Category "SDK / Selection" (near the bottom of the Commands list). I believe it is currently broken in the 64Bit edition, but will be fixed in an update.

As for custom icon images not making the trip, I'm not sure why it didn't. One possibility could be that you haven't updated your custom Workspace in the other version before copying it over to V19. In your old version, make sure your custom Workspace name is in the Save In field, then click on the Save In button. Copy the two updated configuration files to V19 to replace the previous copied files, then use the "Load From" button. You could also have both programs open and use "Copy Button Image" in the old version and "Paste Button Image" in the new version.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 28, 2012, 12:28:15 AM
John R, you wrote
The "Copy in Place" tool is in the "SDK" menu which contains just 2 tools. Aside from finding it in the "All Commands" section, it can be found in the Category "SDK / Selection" (near the bottom of the Commands list). I believe it is currently broken in the 64Bit edition, but will be fixed in an update.

Oh,  oh, I have been using copy in place a lot in version 19 (for subtracting 3D objects); in what way is it broken; am I doing irreversible damage to my drawing?
Ray

Ray
Currently: Turbocad 2017 Platinum  (64bit) on Windows 10 home premium under VMware virtualisation on top of Suse Linux.
4 Core (8 thread) Intel Core I7, 16Gbyte main memory (3 cores and 12gbytes allocated to TC).

Was: TC18, et al all the way back to 7.

* March 28, 2012, 01:08:30 AM
re: …am I doing irreversible damage to my drawing?

No, I don't believe so. It just didn't work in the 64Bit version. I think if you have both 32Bit and 64Bit installed, it masks some of the 64Bit problems and some tools may work. I pass on the bloat and just use the 64Bit version.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 28, 2012, 02:56:41 AM
John R, I have a totally clean install (on a new computer) of ONLY 64bit TC19 on a fully patched windows 7. I cannot use REDSDK.
I imported my desktop layout from V18 on an old windows XP computer and "copy in place" appeared in the usual "SDK" menu item. I have never found an icon for it  :-[
Seems to be working just fine for me as long as I don't have any rendering (no hidden lines, etc, just all vertices). Used it lots in the last few days (for cutting holes to fit one 3D object into another).

Ray
Currently: Turbocad 2017 Platinum  (64bit) on Windows 10 home premium under VMware virtualisation on top of Suse Linux.
4 Core (8 thread) Intel Core I7, 16Gbyte main memory (3 cores and 12gbytes allocated to TC).

Was: TC18, et al all the way back to 7.

* March 28, 2012, 11:57:59 AM
re: …"copy in place" appeared in the usual "SDK" menu item. I have never found an icon for it…

When this tool was originally created (V17?) it didn't have an icon. At some point in V18 it got the shuffling feet, as I have it in my V18.2 installation. In V19, the "Default" workspace got the shuffling feet icon, while the "Classic" workspace got the Fillet Edges icon to represent it. I ignored the problem altogether and made my own icon. I'm glad it's working out for you.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 28, 2012, 12:14:51 PM
re: …"copy in place" appeared in the usual "SDK" menu item. I have never found an icon for it…

When this tool was originally created (V17?) it didn't have an icon. At some point in V18 it got the shuffling feet, as I have it in my V18.2 installation. In V19, the "Default" workspace got the shuffling feet icon, while the "Classic" workspace got the Fillet Edges icon to represent it. I ignored the problem altogether and made my own icon. I'm glad it's working out for you.

My "Classic" UI has the shuffling feet.

Henry H

* March 28, 2012, 12:27:56 PM
re: My "Classic" UI has the shuffling feet.

They made it into the 32Bit app, but not the 64Bit. It was reported in the topic: "BUG: SDK menu icons incorrect" for 64Bit BUGs.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled