TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

workplanes ? ?
Read 4992 times
* August 14, 2009, 02:47:59 PM
I have been using TurboCad v10.1 Pro for some time, despite also having v14 ; always simple drawings in 2D.  The Computer is about to go into the pool through stress and frustration unless I solve my problem ! ! !   I am trying to produce a Plan view, front view and 1st and 3rd Angle projections of a Concrete Plant.  Over the years I have accumulated many drawings of various components. Starting with one component, say a Hopper, I then copy and paste a conveyor drawing , then maybe a Silo etc., etc., placing the new component to its required position.  It becomes necessary to edit and change some of these components.  In so doing, some of the previous imported components end up in different locations than where they were originally placed.  There then appears to be no way that it is possible to "undo" the previous actions to maintain these "moved" components back to the original required location.  As a result I end up having to start the drawing all over again !..  ultimately ending up with the same problem.
My limited experience suggests that it is either a programme set-up problem, although I believe I am in 2D ; or otherwise "Workplanes" .. and I'm afraid I've yet to get my head around "work-planes" .
Any help would be appreciated.     

* August 15, 2009, 01:23:45 AM
It sounds like you are accidentally skewing your workplane. Its very easy to do it by, for example, dragging the mouse whilst pressing the scroll wheel.
First make sure that you really are working in 2D mode; choose the Select tool, right-click anywhere in the drawing area and verify that it shows Selector 2D Properties..... If it shows Selector 3D Properties.... then click Toggle 2D/3D.
Having ensured you are working in 2D mode, click the World Plan icon and then Plane by Active View (see attachment).
I suggest you then select everything (Edit|Select All or Ctrl+A) and then Format!Place on Workplane or Alt+Shift+W.  A useful way of confirming that you are working on an orthogonal work-plane is to display the grid; if it looks nice and square you're OK., otherwise do the World Plan/Plane by Active View sequence.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* August 16, 2009, 04:26:46 AM
Thank you lemel_man,  that was most helpful ; I still seem to get the problem where items "drift" through dragging and dropping items, but at least I can now retrieve to their original location with your valued advise.

* August 16, 2009, 09:45:05 AM
You're very welcome. I'm glad it helped.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* August 16, 2009, 09:46:23 AM
...I still seem to get the problem where items "drift" through dragging and dropping items...

Drag-n-drop may be your problem. In TurboCAD you select the object by clicking on its Reference Point (when the selection pointer turns into a 4-way arrow), then move your cursor to the new location and snap the object into position. From the time you pick up the object, 'til you drop it, it's stuck on the end of your cursor like flypaper. While it's stuck there you can do other things; zoom in/out, change to a different view, open/close dialogs, etc.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* August 17, 2009, 08:27:08 AM
John, thank you for your comment. Yes I have selected the reference point which displays as a boxed outline of the item selected and I assume with the reference being central.  I find it often necessary to align the selected item "off-centre" with another component. I have not done so using the reference point method.  Instead I have selected the item and within the box reference extremes, have selected the point of alignment I require, then "left-click", hold down, then drag and drop  so that I am then able to align to my second component at the location required.   Now, this is obviously wrong and I've developed this "bad habit"  which as lemel_man kindly advised was causing my initial problems.  I have now seen the error of my ways by not selecting  "show object when dragging"  in the 2D Selector Properties ! !   hopefully only another 20 years and I may have this mastered ! !  thanks again for your time.

* August 17, 2009, 11:09:29 AM
...Instead I have selected the item and within the box reference extremes, have selected the point of alignment I require, then "left-click", hold down, then drag and drop  so that I am then able to align to my second component at the location required.

Your post makes me wonder whether you're still holding down while dragging. If so, don't do it. Select the object; click the Reference Point to pick up the object; release the mouse button; drag; click to drop the object.

Henry H

* August 17, 2009, 11:41:11 PM
I find it often necessary to align the selected item "off-centre" with another component. I have not done so using the reference point method.  Instead I have selected the item and within the box reference extremes, have selected the point of alignment I require, then "left-click", hold down, then drag and drop  so that I am then able to align to my second component at the location required.   
Forgetting the work-plane issue for a moment, your statement above makes me think that you are trying to align entities by eye rather than by features of their geometry. Doing such things by eye leads to approximations that can accumulate considerably into quite sizeable errors.
A better way is to use the reference point of the item to be moved, and a snap as the destination. If the reference point is not located where you'd like, then move it. You do this by selecting the entity and pressing the D key (upper or lower case) on the keyboard. The cursor will change into a hand which you can move anywhere you like - completely away from the entity if required. You can use a snap to place it precisely. If there is no convenient snap location, then make one first by adding some construction details that you can later remove.
Once you have the reference point precisely located it is very easy to move the entity to its exact location via another snap. 

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5