TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Wall openings
Read 3813 times
January 06, 2012, 04:43:25 AM
I'll always be a beginner at TurboCad I'm afraid.

I'm trying to create an opening in a wall.  I've read the help section. I have my walls, I create a simple extruded box to create the opening, select "opening" from the wall fly-out/menu and then try and select the box.  I get the message below.  I know it's something stupid I'm not doing and I've done this in the past (long past) but I just cannot remember how!  Any help would be appreciated.

'The opening representation is not specified yet.  Use the properties dialog to choose a 2D and 3D appearances of the opening."

Thanks!

- Charlie

TCAD Pro 16.2 Build 54

* January 06, 2012, 05:12:03 AM

'The opening representation is not specified yet.  Use the properties dialog to choose a 2D and 3D appearances of the opening."

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Charles,

It would help to know which version you're using and is it Pro or Deluxe.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

January 06, 2012, 05:14:27 AM
You know, I meant to to put that in the post and forgot!.
I'm using TC Pro V 11
Thank you for the quick response.

- Charlie

TCAD Pro 16.2 Build 54

* January 06, 2012, 11:11:09 AM

I'm trying to create an opening in a wall.  I've read the help section. I have my walls, I create a simple extruded box to create the opening, select "opening" from the wall fly-out/menu and then try and select the box.  I get the message below.  I know it's something stupid I'm not doing and I've done this in the past (long past) but I just cannot remember how!  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The box must first be formatted as a Block. (Select it and use Format>CreateBlock.) After selecting the "Opening" tool, click the Properties icon on the Inspector Bar, go to the Openings page and make the appropriate settings, then click OK.

Henry H

January 06, 2012, 12:52:47 PM
The box must first be formatted as a Block. (Select it and use Format>CreateBlock.) After selecting the "Opening" tool, click the Properties icon on the Inspector Bar, go to the Openings page and make the appropriate settings, then click OK.

Henry H

Well, I managed that and I can now move the block to the various walls.  The only place the block will insert itself is in the center of the wall though.  Again, I'm sure I am missing something . . .
What I always find amusing about TC is that their help system never actually gives you all you need to know.

Thank you for your response!

edited for typo.  How embarrassing, using "there" instead of "their"!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:10:47 AM by Charles »

- Charlie

TCAD Pro 16.2 Build 54

* January 06, 2012, 03:23:19 PM
re: …The only place the block will insert itself is in the center of the wall…

Go to the Blocks palette, open the Block (EC button),
then go to "Edit / Relocate Block Reference Point" (Ctrl+Shift+R),
move the Reference Point away from the middle of the Block,
then "Edit / Finish to edit Block"

The Block in the wall will move to one side or another, depending on the distance the Ref Pt was moved.

Before making the object a Block, you can specify the location of the Ref Pt so the object is offset to one side of the wall or the other.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:32:53 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

January 10, 2012, 05:45:44 AM
re: …The only place the block will insert itself is in the center of the wall…

Go to the Blocks palette, open the Block (EC button),
then go to "Edit / Relocate Block Reference Point" (Ctrl+Shift+R),
move the Reference Point away from the middle of the Block,
then "Edit / Finish to edit Block"

The Block in the wall will move to one side or another, depending on the distance the Ref Pt was moved.

Before making the object a Block, you can specify the location of the Ref Pt so the object is offset to one side of the wall or the other.

Thank you very much.  I should have just used blocks I mean "box" to create the walls. :) It would be easier!
In fact, that's what I ended up doing.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:02:03 PM by Charles »

- Charlie

TCAD Pro 16.2 Build 54

* January 11, 2012, 08:08:45 AM
Charles:

It really is easier and better to use the "opening" -- at least in TC18.2

You need to make a 2D symbol. I just made a 32 inch 1mm (blue) line since I wanted a 32" opening to match the house model. Then drag the line to the BLOCKS palette and give it a "memorable name" a mnemonic.

The three D symbol: Then I made a rectangle. 32" wide -- 81" tall -- like a door size. Next I extruded the rectangle to 4.5" -- just like a wall thickness. Next I set the material to be (Material) Glass -- (type) mostly clear -- so I can see through it. Then I selected and deleted the rectangle. Then stand up the extrusion so the orientation matches the line you drew earlier, and b) so that the vertical orientation is correct. Drag it to the blocks menu and give it a name -- mnemonic.

Now you are ready to make openings using the opening menu by setting the properties of the opening to use your two symbols.. piece-o-cake...

Drag the opening to the wall set the "left or right standoff from the edge of the wall, and the opening size.

It takes some time to set it up -- but then making the opening is a snap.

This is from memory -- but I set this up last night to do a Kitchen plan so the memory is fresh...

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* January 11, 2012, 05:55:45 PM
"Next I set the material to be (Material) Glass -- (type) mostly clear -- so I can see through it."

An alternative is simply to move the Block to an invisible layer. No need to assign any material at all.

Henry H

January 13, 2012, 05:12:05 AM
Thank you Henry, Will and John.  I'll work on what you recommend.  Seems like a lot to go through to punch a hole in a wall!

- Charlie

TCAD Pro 16.2 Build 54

* January 13, 2012, 09:04:16 AM
Thank you Henry, Will and John.  I'll work on what you recommend.  Seems like a lot to go through to punch a hole in a wall!

Yeah.

Henry H