TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Drawing a mansard roof!
Read 6800 times
December 18, 2011, 02:56:22 PM
Can anyone tell me how to draw a mansard roof in TC 18 Pro? I am doubting that the roof tool can be used  ???

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

* December 18, 2011, 07:33:09 PM
Can anyone tell me how to draw a mansard roof in TC 18 Pro? I am doubting that the roof tool can be used  ???

It can't, not entirely. I think you'll have to build it in two parts. One approach is to make a Roof on the existing walls, setting the slope to correspond to the lower part of the mansard. Then explode it into a TC Surface, convert to a Solid, and 3D-Slice off the upper part. Set a Workplane on the cut face and construct a second Roof there.

Henry H

December 19, 2011, 01:11:35 AM
Thanks Henry, I'll give that a try!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* December 19, 2011, 05:02:42 AM
I think this might be a good time to look at TurboFloorPlan 3D. From looking at this topic, A long time coming, that product will fulfill your needs for various roof shapes. Then you can save it and bring it into TurboCAD. I would be very surprised if they upgraded TurboCAD's Roof tool to something similar.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 19, 2011, 05:13:43 AM
Hi Nick, the picture below demonstrates  Henry's method. Once you have figured out all the angles/ dimensions of your mansard roof then you need to calculate where the specific workplanes would be located in the "Z" axis. For ex. one workplane would be the bottom of the roof another at where the different slopes of the roof meet and the top of the roof. Also the height of any window sills etc.It would help to create named worplanes. For more of a decorative mansard roof and adding to the above technic you might want to consider using Tcads 3d  tools.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:17:04 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

December 19, 2011, 05:34:22 AM
John, I recently purchased a copy of Turbofloorplan pro 15 whilst it was on offer. I haven't yet got to grips with it. I'll have a go when I get time. Trouble is, the Planning department have insisted on getting amended plans by Friday so I may have to go the route of doing 2D drawings which I'm more familiar with. Not sure that the Planners will do anything with the drawings over Christmas though :-(
Dean, that's a good looking roof. I'll definitely give it a go later.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* December 19, 2011, 05:36:54 PM

best method of bringing a Turbo Floor Plan drawing into TurboCad 

Hi Bob,

For 2D work, (plans / elevations/ sections / cabinets elev),
I like using Export from TFPlan to DXF, File > Export > 2D Drawing and default is DXF'.
Out of habit I then open TCAD and use Insert > File > select DXF (use Setup to set to mm (millimeters, to get scale proper)

If you want to have a full 3D model you can use
File > Export > 3D Model and again I use DXF as it gives me both Layers and Colors to edit with.   (see attached)

I will be producing  training videos on all I know about bringing TFPlan to TCAD when I finish the Roof Training videos.

Jack

* December 20, 2011, 05:31:22 PM
Hi Robert,

I'm not seeing the corner join problem you have. I'd have to see the bld file and test with your model. Mine is a dxf 3D export / import.

The segmented roof is not the way TFPlan makes the roof so TCAD must need the extra triangulation line to properly generate both the hip/gable and side hip.

Looks like shipping to 'Down Under' is around $18 USPS and it takes 5-8 days. With the number / length and overall size of the training vids, DVD is the apparent best way for me to go. I haven't handled all aspects of training vids so I'm learning as I go on final distrubution.

Jack

* December 21, 2011, 08:56:29 PM
Hi Bob,

Just to clear this up so there is not an unfounded impression that there is an import problem with TFPlan. The issue is that in creating the Dutch Gable, the 'thickness' of the roof in that area and other dimesnional settings are not the same as the side Hip portion of the roof.

These settings cause the fascia to be at two different heights , so the corners do not mesh in TCAD.

Z
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:59:05 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* December 22, 2011, 08:04:37 PM
Hi Bob,

I normally use 3DS or SKP files and either the Wizard or in the Catalog on the right, go to a like Interiors > Furniture and in the catalog right click and select Add Element. In the pop up select ' Import geometry from file' then use skp or 3ds... dxf is also an option.

Jack