TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

TC18 Vs. DesignCad 3d Max
Read 7170 times
* December 16, 2011, 04:33:09 AM
I am going to use trials of both version but I wanted to see if anyone has used both already and could give me a little insight on which one might be better suited for me.

I want to use a program for drawing my woodworking projects but I want them in 3d, but I want to be able to take each piece and create a drawing for that piece that locate all the holes, cuts, make full size tempaltes, etc.

suggestions?
Thank you

* December 16, 2011, 07:07:54 AM
I want to use a program for drawing my woodworking projects but I want them in 3d, but I want to be able to take each piece and create a drawing for that piece that locate all the holes, cuts, make full size templates, etc.
TC Pro or Platinum would be the prefer choices

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

December 16, 2011, 07:34:33 AM
Hello otherguy,

I use TurboCad 17 to manufacture wooden furniture.
Never used DesignCad 3D Max so i cant say much there.
Attached are my drawing with a cutting list.

* December 16, 2011, 07:39:05 AM
You may want to also ask this question on the DesignCAD Forum.

John R.

V17ā€”V21, 2015ā€”2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 16, 2011, 08:09:24 AM
Hello otherguy,

I use TurboCad 17 to manufacture wooden furniture.
Never used DesignCad 3D Max so i cant say much there.
Attached are my drawing with a cutting list.

Thanks that looks like it will do everything I had invisoned, just need to start watching videos or find a book on TC18 so I can learn more.

You may want to also ask this question on the DesignCAD Forum.

Waiting on approval, Thanks

December 20, 2011, 03:50:19 PM
I also use DesignCAD, no disrespect to DC, I would go with TC as there are more file saving options.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

* December 22, 2011, 10:41:05 PM
I've been learning both TC and DC.

If you're thinking of using TC pro, keep in mind that its retail price is about 14 times higher than that of DC.

But for what you're doing its likely that TC  Deluxe will work as well.  TCD is about twice the price of DC.

The two products (DC & TCD) are about equally the same difficulty to learn, with some advantage to TC because movement through space is a little more intuitive (you have to have things set up right in DC for movement to be intuitive). Also, the TC control panel (might be using the wrong term) gives you quick access to an object's size , scale changes, exact position. I was surprised to find that you couldn't just change the Z position of an object, for instance, natively in DC (though you can write a macro to do this). DC has an older feel, with most every action mediated by a dialog rather than the control bar as in TC. You need to use the information box all the time in DC, but on my system this box slides open and closed lazily rather than opening crisply.

If you want a photo-realistic rendering, then TC/TCD is the best way to go. You can get some nice renderings in DC, but not quite photo-realistic. The rendering options in DC seem to have been tacked on, and some features (like rendering a section, or rendering modes that don't show text) don't seem to work. There's about 7 different ways of rendering (hidden line, hidden line with acceleration, Quick, Quick with acceleration,  Gouraud, Gouraud with acceleration, and Phong no acceleration) and the results can be completely different for each choice.

If you want to produce professional looking output, then you will need paperspace features. If you get DC, be sure its v21 as there were some  flaws in prior editions. Both TCD and DC v21 have paperspace, but TCD's is more robust.

Compared to TCD, DC has macros, 3D filleting, and something similar to lofting. DC can take planes and grids and cement them together into a solid which you can't with TCD. DC has a native way of moving and position objects that's pretty cool. So its feature list -- especially with 3D objects -- is a little longer than TCD's. However, 3D manipulations in DC sometimes result in broken objects. The macro language is like something from 1971. DC has the ability to produce a cross-section from 3D objects -- something that is only available in the pro version of TC. You can probably replicate this feature in TCD by actually slicing a copy of an object.

Apparently DC can not put a true hole in a plane, and by an extension in 3D objects. Whenever you put a hole into a plane, an invisible "fracture" line is also present. Usually it is invisible, but sometimes it becomes visible and you need to hide it. Apparently this puts some sort of upper limit on the number of holes you can reasonably put in a board, though that number is generally higher than what most people will need. Unless they're doing a speaker grid. If a limitation like this exists in TCD I haven't noticed.

Note that neither TCD nor DC use true solids -- both use "hollow" objects.

If money is no object, then obviously TC pro is the winner -- but you could buy a lot of shop equipment for the price. (Somebody will now come along and suggest that you can buy an older version of TC Pro at a reduced price. But comparing arbitrary street prices against stated retail prices is highly subjective).

Probably for basic wood work, TCD is a good choice with a generally more sophisticated experience.

But DC is cheaper and should do it too, after you figure out any work-arounds. DC may offer more options than TCD if you decide to branch out into metal work as well.

Ok, that may have been more confusing than helpful, but give you some things to consider. If on any of these points you have questions, be sure to ask in the appropriate forum. I may have gotten my facts mixed up. Both DC and TC have good supporting forum members.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* March 17, 2014, 10:19:56 AM
I also am trying to choose between DC and TC but instead of woodworking projects, I plan to use a 3D printer to print out small plastic parts for RC cars and trucks. Would one be better then the other for 3D printing? Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one I should go with?