TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Advance Rendering - Photorealistic rendering
Read 2800 times
* September 08, 2011, 05:55:07 PM
I am trying to get my head around advance rendering. It appears to be a science in itself. I have designed a house which I am trying to apply photorealistic rendering, but without much success. Can anyone advise the setting I should use in the Render Style Editor to achieve a photorealistic render. Any help would be appreciated.

* September 08, 2011, 08:12:49 PM
Hi Bob,

This is new to me too so why not the blind lead the blind.

As I see it you first should have a light source in the model. Attached are my settings for a Lumanince that was assigned to a sphere. The location of the sphere doesn't matter. It is also set to (7) Load to render lum only , so the sphere is invisible.

If you set (5), Altitude and Azmuth as I have set (18-120) the Sun will be 'low and right' Early morning, based on Plan View , up being North. (6) settings will give you a clean hard shadow. Shadow Transparency 'ON' let Sun in Windows (through glass).

If the side you are rendering is difffernt than mine the (5) settings will have to change. Azimuth is based on Zero = North, 90 = East , 180 South, 270 West.  

Do a Quality render to check Sun position.

What I did next is a simple Final Gather, I didn't mess with the Style Manager. I  liked Standard 50m (3)  (Presentation took much longer without significant improvement. Uncheck all at (4).

That's all I know.

Jack

* September 09, 2011, 04:03:23 PM
Hi Bob,

3 things to start with. Do you have a Lum light in the sample image you posted (or any other lights)?
Photorealistic is OK, RayTraced is a tad quicker for initial testing.
I wouldn't mess with Brighten Up until you get the basics set.

2 more items. Have you assigned materials to the model? (I see textured grass but not much else).
I notice you have Final Gather set to / Weather, under RenderStyle I see options for Full Sun/ Cloudy etc... Just try Final Gather and in Style use Standard 50m...

Once you get this basic, then you can play around with the other settings. After some testing with the other settings you can then ask a bit more specific questions that can be answered by those who REALLY understand Advanced

Jack

* September 09, 2011, 07:06:30 PM
Good Bob,

It would be nice to know what other results you get.

I did forget to mention that a low power (0.2) Ambient light was added in my model. I just used a 'standard' Ambient, not Lum Amb.

Edit.. I think you also have Perspective OFF. Check under Camera the Perspective option. You will have to move your camera 'back' to see the model as perspective zooms. If you can size your posting images down, that helps save IMSI storage space. I normal will post 800x for basic items. For presentation renderings 1000+. I try to keep things below 100 kb.

I'll post any other options I find. A Search for Advanced Rendering has some interesting posts.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:12:03 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 10, 2011, 05:36:58 AM
Hi Bob,

You should look under Design Director and check Lights. The program automatically adds lights if you do not. It appears you have more than the Sun Lum light in the model.

You have a dark shadow under the Porch and one on the Ground to the right that is not dark. But you also have a shadow on the right Garage overhang going left and a slight shadow on the ground under the porch extending out going left.

If you find lights listed under Lights , you can just click the 'light bulb' icon to turn them off.

Jack

* September 11, 2011, 09:53:22 AM
Hi Bob,

I haven't tested the various ways of inserting Lums, but not being up to speed on these later rendering options, I used the old 'object lum' method. If you are comfortable with using the options within the Lum settings, they should work just fine. No need for object lum.

Maybe others could add their thoughts as I'm no expert on any of this.

Is there a difference between object based Lum and WCS lums?

Jack