TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Animation Lab & TC18 revisited
Read 6807 times
* August 10, 2011, 12:18:43 PM
Never did see any answer on the forum as to what changed between AL 5.0 and AL 5.1 - got a call from IMSI sales yesterday, and while they couldn't tell me what the difference was, they'd be happy to sell me an upgrade for 40% of the cost of a new package.

There is no info on the TC web site about a 5.0 to 5.1 version change, no upgrade path shown as available, and the upgrade price IMSI quoted me was too steep to consider for a .1 upgrade with no apparent new features - the tech support email I have indicated that the .1 fixed some bugs, and as far as I'm concerned, it oughta be free.

Guess it's time to bite the bullet and go through the learning curve for Blender...

* August 17, 2011, 05:41:15 AM
The .1 should not be an upgrade, but rather an update and should come at no cost. I've upgraded and updated lots of IMSI products over the years and this has always been the case.
That would be petty nickel and dime stuff to charge for an update. Come on IMSI, take better care of repeat customers if you want to keep them as such.
That said, I recently bought AL and was surprised by a nice discount in my shopping cart. Now that is the way to keep a customer. ;) Thanks a bunch for that, Guys.
I am working on my first movie now after a major computer build. Major for me that is.
Good luck getting the answers you seek.
There isn't a lot of info out there for AL 5.

* August 30, 2011, 03:57:16 PM
Sorry but I didn't see your post until now.  the 5.1 is free if you have v5 the difference between them is that it works on v18.

* August 30, 2011, 06:45:08 PM
thanks Dave - so tech support said to get 5.1 but didn't know how; sales dept called but wanted to sell me 5.1 as an upgrade to 5.0.

So who should I call or email?

thanks
Leigh

* September 13, 2011, 06:04:42 AM
Hello Dave, I have just purchased Anim Lab 5 to run in my TC18 Pro. Could you please advise on where I can download the 5.1 upgrade?

Thanks Brian.

* September 14, 2011, 07:17:02 PM
never got any response from Dave myself, so I finally called IMSI customer support and they sent me an e-mail with a link to download and a new activation code.

Sales wasn't a help - tech support wasn't in tune with how to get 5.1, but the Customer Support guy was very helpful!

* September 14, 2011, 08:17:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, did you actually get the 5.1 download?

Brian

* September 15, 2011, 05:16:50 AM
I am curious about this as well.
Also where do you find the version number. AL doesn't have a splash page as far as I can tell.
It is just there in TC tools and then you add it to the visible tools list. I keep it in the design pallet. Is there an icon to click and see this?
Thanks guys.

Oh.
Completed my first little video using it a few weeks back. Not perfect, but usable I think.

Here is a link if you would like to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDq7KRI978

* September 16, 2011, 08:45:41 AM
re: …where do you find the version number.

Look for "AniPal.dll" in "Program Files". The "Details" page for the Windows Properties dialog should tell you the "Product version".

Great Video. I could swear I saw this in the FWW magazine.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* September 17, 2011, 05:21:51 AM
Aha.
Thanks, John.
I do have version 5.
A link to update it would be fantastic.

(Never mind. I contacted them myself. A link without a new code won't do much good. ;) )

I plan on doing several more similar videos as well as some that will show how to install particular models.
Video along with pdf is where the world is going I think.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:52:27 AM by Leeway »

December 01, 2011, 05:17:39 AM
Sorry but I didn't see your post until now.  the 5.1 is free if you have v5 the difference between them is that it works on v18.

Hi! Dave, this week, I've purchase and downloaded Lab v.5, form my reading this post it should have bee V. 5.1.  Where can I download the 5.1 update or do I need to call customer support?  Thanks

Michel

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe

December 01, 2011, 05:28:06 AM
I am curious about this as well.
Also where do you find the version number. AL doesn't have a splash page as far as I can tell.
It is just there in TC tools and then you add it to the visible tools list. I keep it in the design pallet. Is there an icon to click and see this?
Thanks guys.

Oh.
Completed my first little video using it a few weeks back. Not perfect, but usable I think.

Here is a link if you would like to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDq7KRI978

Hi! Leeway,

Impressive animation and rendering I must say and congratulate you on your first video animation, I'm desperate and curious to find out how you've been able to do it with TC V18 and Lab 5?  What kind of OS and PC computer have you got? I'm having all kinds of TC 18 memory issues and crashes with XP 64 bit, i7 cpu, 6 gig of ram and dual graphic cards using SLI.  I have much animation to do in a very short period of time and getting desperate, any info on your successful rendering and animation would be very helpful and appreciated.  Thanks

Regards,
Michel

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe

* December 01, 2011, 05:46:44 AM
I am by no means good at it, but I have found a way to get it done.
My computer is also an i7 2600K and W7 64. It has a 60 GB SSD and 16 GB of ram. Water cooled and over clocked to 5 GHz.
I too have memory issues.

I get around it by not using render very often. As little as possible. Only for the camera shots. I make groups and use those as actors.
Also save your files separately, because it will auto save changes when animating.

Then I use very few frames to convey the movement when processing. The fewer the better from a memory standpoint, but then too few and you have glitchy  video. I do the basics here and then I transfer these clips into a movie maker. Do all editing there.
I use Power Director 9, but 10 is out.
It's pretty cheap and fairly easy to use.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

I think Winders has a Movie Maker as well.
Used it in the past, but needed more. PD gives all that I could want for editing.

I would love to be able to do this stuff quickly, but it takes time to render this stuff in AL. Even with a fairly fast system.

Oh and I only have a single video card now.
Nvidia Gforce 210. Kinda small.

December 01, 2011, 09:11:21 PM
I am by no means good at it, but I have found a way to get it done.
My computer is also an i7 2600K and W7 64. It has a 60 GB SSD and 16 GB of ram. Water cooled and over clocked to 5 GHz.
I too have memory issues.

I get around it by not using render very often. As little as possible. Only for the camera shots. I make groups and use those as actors.
Also save your files separately, because it will auto save changes when animating.

Then I use very few frames to convey the movement when processing. The fewer the better from a memory standpoint, but then too few and you have glitchy  video. I do the basics here and then I transfer these clips into a movie maker. Do all editing there.
I use Power Director 9, but 10 is out.
It's pretty cheap and fairly easy to use.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

I think Winders has a Movie Maker as well.
Used it in the past, but needed more. PD gives all that I could want for editing.

I would love to be able to do this stuff quickly, but it takes time to render this stuff in AL. Even with a fairly fast system.

Oh and I only have a single video card now.
Nvidia Gforce 210. Kinda small.

Leeway, Thanks for your quick response.  Like you, this is what I've been doing, bits and pieces of animation; sometime one frame at a time then saving files for each frame or small animation sequence under a different file name not to lose anything is case TC crashes.  I then bring every frames together in another animation program such as paint shop pro or movie maker, ect; which is extremely time consuming (imagine if TC could do it all in one operation as advertised?).  From all the info and knowledge I've gotten so far, both your and my computer are by far more than adequate (even to powerful) and thus far form being the problem.  TC has had these rendering problems and memory leaks from nearly the beginning of times.  I've been a customer since TC pro v.7 (somewhere around 2000 or so).  Throughout all these years, I wish they would have fixed and over come this memory problem because I just love TC pro and it's ease of use for creating 3D models and converting drawings to other file format such as Autocad, Solid Works, etc...   I can't imagine how much more work I would have created and designed through the years if it was not for TC crashes and primarily rendering and program memory issues.  It's kind of an addiction where you think the next drawing you create should work fine or, upgrade to their newest TC version as they come out (hoping that they solved all issues until you get deep into it, upgrade only to find out that your back to square one with rendering and with the same old memory leaks/issues; even in draft rendering (dependent on the amount of 3D objects and drawing complexity).  For those out there buying each update or next  TC versions along with upgrading PCs (ram, cpu's, graphic cards, 64 bit systems, etc...) I'm embarrassed to say that, .........did not work for me.  Note that I was able to do very nice drawings with TC although with lots of patience and time along with a whole lot of cursing (I'm sure many out there can relate to the last word "cursing")

Lately I started to explore and learn a bit about Catia's drawing program on one of my friend's PC.  At first glance, it appears to be complex although, as you get into it, it seems quite simple and much faster on the PC from the get go although have not finished a drawing yet therefore to early to tell.  I still need to put in many learning hours although at this time, I feel a lot more confident moving forward in this direction than with TC.  I've read the TC forum and tried all kinds of different suggestions and tips; I'm still hopeful that IMSI - TC wil eventually pin point and solve the MEMORY / rendering problems.  Like I mentioned in previous post, I would not mind paying couple thousands for a TC version that would work flawlessly or with very little issues; on my wish list, I'm hoping that the TC's tech team will finally solve these long time hindering issue throughout the various version they've released and sold.

Enough said, Leeway, again thank you for your response, I will let you know or post if I find a viable animation trick or solution(s).

Cheers and Warmest regards,

MP

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:01:01 AM by Michel Philippe »

* December 04, 2011, 11:17:06 PM
not to be disloyal to TC, which I've had since version 6 I think, but between the animation hassles and the crashes or memory problems with rendering, I gave up on TC for what I was trying to do, and recently tried Blender from www.blender.org

It's a nurbs/mesh-based program so it's not great for the sort of mechanical and architectural work we do with TC, but it's free, available for Windows, Linux and OS-X in both 32-bit and 64-bit, and it includes animation features the TC folks haven't even dreamed of (like particle systems, smoke, fog, fluids, physics, etc.).

Plus it will "uv unwrap" 3-d objects, allow you to export a 2-D template you can open in photoshop or gimp and paint on whatever decals or textures you want, and then use the resulting image to wrap the object in Blender in a much simpler and more intuitive way than in TC.

I like drawing in TC, but absolutely hate trying to do rendering or animation since it's futile for complex scenes because of memory problems, and anilab isn't nearly as capable as Blender. So drawing (modeling) in TC and then exporting to Blender for texturing/materials/rendering/lighting and animation is what I'm exploring now.

Blender also has a video editor with multiple video and sound tracks - if you don't want to render straight to a movie, you can render to files (or use a render farm and collect individual frames later) and compile the movie easily. 

Warning, the learning curve is a little steep, but www.blenderguru.com and other sites have lots of tutorials that get you pointed in the right direction.

Since it's open source and avail on multiple platforms, I can set up an animation and then distribute the rendering to a motley collection of macs, linux and PC computers I have access to and put it all together when the rendering is complete.

Anyway, something to check out.. and something for TC  developers to look at to see what you can do with software developed in python!