TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Printer setup help please
Read 7217 times
* April 20, 2011, 10:05:55 AM
Hello all,

I just got a new printer which can print up to 13 x 19, including 11 x 17, or B size paper.  I am using TC Deluxe v12 and am now trying to change my default printer setting to the new printer and to tell it to print on 11 x 17 paper, but can't seem to find where to do that.  I have read through the index and table of contents in the book multiple times and gone through the page setup wizard but still can't figure out how to accomplish this. 

When I go to Page Setup I find that the drawing sheet size has size B available, but when I select the correct printer, that is not an option.  It seems the closest I can get is A3, which is 11.69 x 16.5; close, but not quite it.

Also, it knows that there is a default printer, but it's not the new printer, so I obviously set it up with a default printer initially, but now can't figure out how to change that.  Please help!  I have a presentation for which I need to print several conceptual sketches tomorrow, so I need to get this figured out pretty quick!

Eric

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 11:42:24 AM
A follow up post here:  I've attempted a print using A3 as the printer's paper, which is 11.6 x 16.5, roughly.  close, but not exactly B size, or 11 x 17.  the results were that the border is partly outside the margin.  This I think I can fix.

However, there is a serious, larger issue, and that is that the drawing contains an embedded .jpg image, which did not print.  This baffles me completely.  If anyone knows why the .jpg image isn't printing, please help!  I've attached the drawing to this post, which I tried a few moments ago and it would not load, saying it's too large.  Possibly because of the .jpg images?  Don't really know.

Eric

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 02:07:39 PM
Couple Jpegs in case it will help attach.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* April 20, 2011, 02:08:27 PM
Which images are not printing out?

Not having enough ink, nor an 11 by 17 inch printer, I instead printed out using CutePDF with the 11x17 setting. I'll try attaching them here.

I don't see anything missing, but of course I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing ;-)

Mark

P.S. Maybe you can print out the PDF's, if you get desperate. Adobe should be pretty good about understanding printer types.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:11:34 PM by MarkS »

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* April 20, 2011, 02:18:00 PM
Both the .jpg and .pdf versions show exactly what should be shown.  And apparently I embedded the images correctly, or I don't think you'd be able to see them, so that's not the issue.  What prints are the drawing elements (meaning the title block, etc, border and the little blue rectangles, etc, but the photographs just aren't there in the print, even though they're obviously there in the drawing.  I'll try printing the pdf, but I sure enough would like to know what the issue is with printing from TC.  Could it be a printer setting?  If so, why does it print fine in .pdf or .jpg format?  This has happened with another printer as well, so it isn't just the new printer...

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 02:41:13 PM
Pure speculation, but I'm thinking that the embedded images's are larger than your setup can handle. Extracting one of the images, converting it to jpeg with 20 compression, the resulting TCW is several hundred kb smaller. If you extract the images (rather than having them embedded) does the print out work any better? Can you see the images in your preview?

Good luck!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* April 20, 2011, 03:46:52 PM
Mark,

I can see the image in the print preview. 

Unfortunately, I don't know what it means to extract the images.  I do see that they can be extracted, which I assumed was the reverse of embedding them:  taking them out.  I do see that there is a memory usage indicator in the raster image manager, and that 3072 KB is the usage.

When you say my the embedded images are larger than my "setup" can handle, do you mean that the computer doesn't have enough memory?

Eric

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 06:08:41 PM
At least in v 16, extracting them causes the embedded image to be replaced by a path to the original. So the two file objects can travel separately. This might make it easier for TC to deal with memory issues. Of course, you'll want to keep a copy of your original TCW before trying this  :)

I was suggesting that either your system lacks memory and/or the way TCD 12 handles memory/images causes the failure.

Were you able to use your printer to print the PDF's? If Adobe can't print them out correctly, then you probably have a system memory issue. If Adobe can, then you might consider installing the CutePDF printer driver (basic is free) or something similar and seeing if you can get the results you want in a 2-step process.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* April 20, 2011, 06:19:43 PM
I haven't yet been able to print the pdf's yet, but so far that is because I can't figure out how to tell this blasted printer that it has 11 x 17 paper in it.  I'm frustrated enough with it that I need to quit, or it will suffer...

I'm going to sit down with the printer instruction book and try to figure that part of it out.  Strange that when printing from TC it will accept paper size A3, which is pretty close to B Size, but when trying to print from Adobe it doesn't have that as an option listed.  Same printer... same computer. 

I was able to print a JPG version of this same drawing on my old printer, on 8.5 x 11 paper, and that came out just fine (though I didn't include the border or the title blocks, etc on that, which I really need to have to make it look presentable for this meeting tomorrow).  I have until about 11 am to try to get this figured out, so hopefully I can.

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 06:40:57 PM
I haven't yet been able to print the pdf's yet, but so far that is because I can't figure out how to tell this blasted printer that it has 11 x 17 paper in it.  I'm frustrated enough with it that I need to quit, or it will suffer...

Open the TCExplorer Palette, click on 'Settings' to open then click on Built-in(Current) to open, navigate down to Paper table and left mouse click to open, does Ansi B or 11 x 17 size show in the list. 

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* April 20, 2011, 06:56:15 PM
Don,

Yes, Ansi B size is in the paper table in the TC Explorer.

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 07:13:05 PM
Don,

Yes, Ansi B size is in the paper table in the TC Explorer.

Okay, can you get the Page Setup to look similar to the attached.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* April 20, 2011, 07:19:27 PM
Well, yes.  Of course I am now on the laptop, which has it right there in the drop down menu.  I'm wondering if I missed that on the other machine??? I'm going to have to go check the other machine and see if I just looked right past that, or if it's really not there. 

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 07:31:43 PM
Ok, I am not crazy, Tabloid 11 x 17 is NOT one of the choices on the desktop.  It IS, however, in the paper table in TC Explorer.  Which I assume means that it can somehow be placed in the menu, where it can be used.

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 08:07:54 PM
Ok, I am not crazy, Tabloid 11 x 17 is NOT one of the choices on the desktop.  It IS, however, in the paper table in TC Explorer.  Which I assume means that it can somehow be placed in the menu, where it can be used.

Just a thought, does your new printer show up in Control Panel, Printers and Faxes.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* April 20, 2011, 08:29:39 PM
Yes, it does.  I have to call it quits for the night; sorry to pull the plug when you're helping me but I've been at it since 7:30 this morning (11:30 my time now) and I've had it.  Will try to figure this out in hte morning...

Eric

* April 20, 2011, 08:39:17 PM
Yes, it does.  I have to call it quits for the night; sorry to pull the plug when you're helping me but I've been at it since 7:30 this morning (11:30 my time now) and I've had it.  Will try to figure this out in hte morning...

It's 8:30 on the west coast.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* April 21, 2011, 05:15:22 AM
Ok, so does anyone know how to edit the list of available paper in the page setup?  Don helped me figure out that Tabloid, or 11 x 17 paper is in the paper table via TC Explorer>Settings>Built In>Paper Table.  It's right there, Size B (11 x 17).  I have the correct printer selected, and even printed a pdf version of one of the drawings successfully.  It sees the .jpg image and all.  But I can't get TC to allow me to set the printer paper to the appropriate size.  I have only four options, letter, legal, A4 and executive.  What gives?

Also, I believe this drawing has somehow become corrupt.  When I try to save the blasted thing as a PDF, TC crashes.  The one version of the PDF that WD posted has a construction line on the one side that I forgot to delete, so I went back to edit that out and then save as a PDF.  When I  attempt to do that, TC freezes and the task manager displays TC as "Not Responding".  WTF is going on here???

Eric

* April 21, 2011, 05:42:37 AM
Your confuse I didn't post a PDF.I posted JPEG.The other thing that may be contributing to problems is on the image on the left (paperspace1) there is image on top of a image, there stack on top each other.Don't save your pdf from TC but download free Cute pdf like MarkS uses.Save your pdf from it

http://www.cutepdf.com/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:53:17 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* April 21, 2011, 06:26:45 AM
Ok, I'll try the cute pdf program.  It's very strange, I've never had a problem like that before with TC.  And yes, there is an image on top of an image.  That's becuase that sketch was done as two separate drawings by different people using different programs.  The one that's on top I edited and put the blue squares on top of what the other party used, which were grey stripes; I think he uses Google Sketchup, or somthing like that, but in any case it was emailed to me, and it seemed the easiest way to get it done was to place it on top of the other image.  This is partly becuase that image only included the building and not the parking lot around it, which is required. 

I don't know what the issue is with TC but I have had it crash multiple times when saving since messing with this drawing.  I went back and tried to save from a DWG version I had from two weeks ago (I emailed it to an AutoCAD user at that time) thinking that version would not be corrupted, and TC crashed again.  I hope it's just this drawing that is the problem and not something more sinister...

I think I may have solved the paper issue, and it was a stupid mistake on my part:  I set the FAX as the printer inadvertently.  So when I tried to print, it was looking at the printer as if it were a fax, rather than as a printer.  Once I told it to look at the printer, more paper sizes magically appeared.  So it seems t wasn't a TC problem, it was an operator error problem.

I am still left with the problem of the .jpg images not printing fom TC.  I use these types of sketches all the time, and would like to be able to print them successfully from TC rather than have to save them as some other file and then print.  This is for several reasons, one being that saving as another file type is an extra step I'd rather skip, as it uses up memory space on the disc, creates that many more documents I have to search through in the file (some of the customer files beome quite large with revisions, etc, and the fewer extraneous files the better), and simply consumes that much more time which would be much better spent in some other way.

If the issue is computer memory, I can believe that on the one hand, as I have only 1.512 GB of memory on the desktop , and only 512MB on the laptop.  Plus I recently saw that hte memory cards should be matching pairs, and I installed a 1GB card in the desktop alongide its "stock" 512MB card.  If this is not a myth, then that could be an issue.  OTOH, I am nowhere close to having 1.512GB of memory consumed, so that would seem like the computer memory isn't the issue.  Not really sure about any of this, I'm FAR form knoledgeable about computers in general.  Any thoughts on why the .jpg images don't want to print from TC??

Eric

* April 21, 2011, 06:50:43 AM
RE:Any thoughts on why the .jpg images don't want to print from TC??

I can't give a positive answer when comes to jpegs.I have no problems with at my end,When creating jpegs the pixels need to match the paper size in your case is how I got to work.Now the export dialog has to be set 1056x1632 pixels to match 11x17 sheet.If this is not set accordingly it will give problems.Along with the printer size configurations every thing has to match so the out come of the print job will produce you a successful jpeg.Why won't it print a jpeg may be due to user error.I don't believe its Tc causing the crash,the file from the beginning on how was made is out of the norm,There is excessive grouping of objects,not all layers were created,I could go on.but was able to open it is why I have doubts it was TC error.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:16:21 AM by wd »

* April 21, 2011, 09:36:14 AM
You might download a more recent trial version of TC dlx and see if that helps. I understand that the old "pro" versions were really great and people still use them, but I haven't heard the same claim made for deluxe.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2