TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Section View in Deluxe
Read 2715 times
* July 06, 2009, 06:25:24 AM
Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can create a section view from a 3D assembly in TC 16 Deluxe.  I know how I could do it in Pro, but have not been able to come up with an idea as to how to do it in Deluxe since I don't have the Drafting Palette.

I could certainly make a 2D drawing in PS by copying or tracing geometry and hatching in a viewport for what I want, but was just wondering if Anybody can come up with a way.

Again, trying to come up with ways to not have to upgrade to Pro.  Though I'm leaning and trying to convince my boss to upgrade to Pro Mechanical Edition.  Does anybody know if you can upgrade at a discounted rate since I already own the Deluxe edition?

Cameron Blair

* July 06, 2009, 09:39:42 AM
Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can create a section view from a 3D assembly in TC 16 Deluxe. 

Here's one way: Place a copy of the object(s) to be sectioned on an invisible layer for safekeeping. 3D-Slice through the originals, delete one of the resulting pieces, and explode the other into a collection of Polylines. Select only the Polyline(s) which define the outline of the section and delete the others. (One way to do that is to change the color of the selection, then use Ctrl+K to select all other colors; then delete them.) Hatch the outline if you wish.

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]

* July 06, 2009, 10:04:54 AM
Here's one way: Place a copy of the object(s) to be sectioned on an invisible layer for safekeeping. 3D-Slice through the originals, delete one of the resulting pieces, and explode the other into a collection of Polylines. Select only the Polyline(s) which define the outline of the section and delete the others. (One way to do that is to change the color of the selection, then use Ctrl+K to select all other colors; then delete them.) Hatch the outline if you wish.

Henry H

That's really clever.  It'll work for some drawings, though obviously still a pain compared to how easy it is in Pro.  I know I'll run into a problem where I have some external references in drawings since I'm pretty sure I can't slice through them, or explode them, and then slice through them.  Wonder if that would be the same way in Pro, not being able to section through an external reference, though at that time I would assume I'd be doing assemblies through the parts tree.

Cameron Blair

* July 06, 2009, 12:52:25 PM
Another way to skin this cat. This is very similar to Henry's,
but draw out your polyline that you want as your section line,
give it a World "Line Width Scaling" with a very thin width,
then give it a 3D Thickness (or extrude).
Subtract the Polyline from the 3D object.
Explode the 3D Object "once".
You should now have two parts.

The advantage this has over the Slice tool is that you can use polylines with arc segments.
The disadvantage, the thin section that get subtracted along the path of the polyline is lost.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit