TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Pool cue and image wrap
Read 2727 times
* July 05, 2009, 07:51:55 PM
I'm to draw a cue with a crown design at the bottom. It has a 32mm dia. by 1600mm long. The attached is a sketch of the circumference by its length. If this the correct approach where do I go from here.

Edit!!! I've saved it as a BMP file and used it to create a 'Filtered wrapped image'.  From there I tried to assign it to a cylinder 32 x 1600
but it failed. to produce the correct image.

I'm stuck and would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:29:02 PM by Don C Wensrich »

* July 05, 2009, 08:38:08 PM
Good so far, Don, if you simply want to wrap the image around the cue and let that be the visible surface. Things will get more complicated if you intend something different. Post again with more info in that case.

Proceed as follows to wrap the image around the cue: Save the image as a .jpg or .bmp and be sure its long axis is vertical. Use "Wrapped filtered image" Pattern and "Cylindrical" Wrapping to apply the image to the 3D cue. Assuming the cue's long axis is parallel to the World Z axis, use the following Wrapping parameters:

Scale around axis: 1.0
Scale along axis: 1600
Center point: (0,0,0)
Axis direction: (0,0,1)
Origin: (0,0,-800)
Radius: 0.0

Henry H

* July 05, 2009, 09:04:23 PM
Thanks for your help Henry,

I'll apply all of your setting and post it when finished.

Thanks again.

Don

July 05, 2009, 09:35:58 PM
Well, I made a nice video to show you how to make the crown in 3D but my video is 80MB, so there is not much chance to upload it here or email it. Sorry!

EDIT: I reduced the quality and zipped it to get 8.5MB. I emailed it to you Don - hopefully your mailbox will allow that size.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:45:33 PM by Don Cheke »

* July 05, 2009, 10:49:41 PM
Thanks Don,

I got it.

Don

* July 07, 2009, 02:51:37 PM
Good so far, Don, if you simply want to wrap the image around the cue and let that be the visible surface. Things will get more complicated if you intend something different. Post again with more info in that case.

Proceed as follows to wrap the image around the cue: Save the image as a .jpg or .bmp and be sure its long axis is vertical. Use "Wrapped filtered image" Pattern and "Cylindrical" Wrapping to apply the image to the 3D cue. Assuming the cue's long axis is parallel to the World Z axis, use the following Wrapping parameters:

Scale around axis: 1.0
Scale along axis: 1600
Center point: (0,0,0)
Axis direction: (0,0,1)
Origin: (0,0,-800)
Radius: 0.0

Henry H

Okay Henry,

I got the Image wrap to work finally, but the results weren't great so I'm trying a diiferent idea.

Thanks again.

Don

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 07, 2009, 02:55:41 PM
Well, I made a nice video to show you how to make the crown in 3D but my video is 80MB, so there is not much chance to upload it here or email it. Sorry!

EDIT: I reduced the quality and zipped it to get 8.5MB. I emailed it to you Don - hopefully your mailbox will allow that size.

Don,

I reviewed your video at work this morning and finally got things sorted out. I've attached the finished cue.

Thanks,
Don.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

July 07, 2009, 03:55:29 PM
I am glad that it worked out for you Don.