TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Moving chain
Read 3737 times
January 21, 2011, 03:38:03 PM
What method would you use to make this chain (see attached) move/rotate around the sprokets. I've been using "Follow by path" for individual chain links, but have run into problems.

Thx!

TC 17 Pro

January 23, 2011, 02:05:56 PM
I wouldn't try to move each link along the entire path. If every link moves just to its neighbours exact position in, say 3 or 4 frames, fluid motion would be perceived. In the Key Frames Editor, those few frames can be copy/pasted as much as you like to fit the duration of the movie. Group separate parts that have similar motion as one actor.

For a chain & sprockets, you'll have 2 actors for the straight lengths with linear motion, 2 for the sections of chain rotating with the sprocket (can be grouped with the sprocket if it's plain) and 4 for the links that transition from linear to rotating motion as they leave or join the sprocket.

For an example of this method, see http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/Plugins/AnimationLab5/Showcase/tabid/907/Default.aspx

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

January 24, 2011, 12:39:00 PM
Thanks Julian!  Your method is working great!

January 28, 2011, 01:34:59 PM
I was thinking of editing my post ...you actually need 8 actors for the transition links for conventional roller chain with inner and outer links. My earlier instruction is good for those chains with common or universal links.

I have separate issues with AL5 now. The movie in the AL showcase was done with AL3 on a much less powerful PC about 6 years ago. This movie (below) is from a much stripped down version of that same TCW. I was going to post the simplified TCW so you could see the method I was describing but now fear that either the TCW is corrupted or AL5 is faulty or my new i5 laptop just can't cut the mustard. This hidden line animation is the best this new PC can do - animating a draft or quality render crashes TurboCad every time.

BTW notice you can give the chain some slack if you layout the links along a curve and rotate the group/actor around that curve's centre.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:54:02 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

January 28, 2011, 02:56:53 PM
I figured I was just creating more actors than I needed.. Thanks for the hidden line animation. It's helpful.  AND thanks for the slack suggestion.. I'm definitely going to incorporate that.

* January 11, 2012, 06:55:12 PM
Hello, everyone, I'm new. My name is Fang, I can not find the post to say Hi.

I wish you all a happy life