TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Images on the surface of a sphere
Read 2217 times
* July 03, 2009, 07:05:42 AM
I want to put a text message on a golf ball and I thought the easiest way to do this might be to apply an appropriate render containing the message to a sphere.
This kind of worked except I couldn't find a way of limiting the number of instances of the imported image appearing on the sphere. In fact the control mechanism (change the scale) is very weird. Is there a simple way of putting  "Happy Birthday" on a sphere  and controlling where it is placed and its size?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Pete

July 03, 2009, 07:44:09 AM
You could try something like the attached on a segment of the ball.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hardware: 2.67GHz Core I7-920, 18GB 1333 DDR3, Nvidia Gforce GT 220
Software: TC 2018.25.0.41.0 (64)
Setup: UI: Classic, Editing History: Off, Use Choice: Off, Native Draw: GDI

* July 03, 2009, 07:28:07 PM
Thanks for your help Winston.
I learned some new facilities, however there are a number of things I don't understand about your suggestion.
I tried to replicate the items on your image with limited success.
I was able to duplicate your item one and the first part of item 2, but I could not find any "Copy in Place" facility (like in CorelDraw). I manually created a copy in place. Here is where I struck a major hurdle.
Intersecting any of the two text/box combinations failed. 2d Intersection just refused to do anything (I wouldn't expect it to since I am manipulating two 3D objects) 3D Intersection returned the error message "The resultant ACIS solid is degenerated. The Boolean operation is discarded". When you think about it this is reasonable since the text object and box object are not actually intersecting.

I am obviously missing something important here so sorry I don't understand your intention.
The last dilemma I find myself in is how this process might result in moving the text to follow the surface of a sphere?

Regards
Pete

July 03, 2009, 08:23:26 PM
If you did #1 right, the E-snap should have put the text inside the box. If you did #2, the text certainly intersects the box. Let's see your drawing.

If you text is going to cover a large portion of the sphere, you might want to bend it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:26:46 PM by Winston Mitchell »

Hardware: 2.67GHz Core I7-920, 18GB 1333 DDR3, Nvidia Gforce GT 220
Software: TC 2018.25.0.41.0 (64)
Setup: UI: Classic, Editing History: Off, Use Choice: Off, Native Draw: GDI

* July 06, 2009, 07:06:56 PM
Hi Winston,
Thanks again for replying. Sorry it has taken a while for me to get back to you but we have been entertaining two granddaughters for a couple of days. I now need a holiday.

I can now understand what you were proposing. From your image I made the erroneous assumption that you had e-snapped to the top plane of the the box. Silly me!

I have attached an image of what I was trying to do in TC. It isn't perfect, but was good enough for grandson's birthday card. I used CorelDraw for this.

Again, thanks for your time and help.
Regards

Pete

[attachment deleted by admin]