TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Oblique dimension text
Read 7603 times
* December 19, 2010, 11:22:03 AM
I do a lot of work making isometric pipe drawings. I like to oblique the dimension text. I have been doing this in Autocad for years. I am forcing myself to learn Turbocad.
How can I oblique the text in dimensions? It makes the drawings look a lot bette.
Thanks

December 19, 2010, 12:46:08 PM
I do a lot of work making isometric pipe drawings. I like to oblique the dimension text. I have been doing this in Autocad for years. I am forcing myself to learn Turbocad.
How can I oblique the text in dimensions? It makes the drawings look a lot bette.
Thanks

Are you talking about the text itself, or do you mean the equivalent of the Oblique tool used on an Aligned Dimension in AutoCAD (the text remains horizontal)?

If you mean the latter, sadly there is no equivalent in TurboCAD (nor is there Polar Tracking, which would be nice, especially at non-right angles).

The best suggestion I can come up with at the moment is to draw your own extension lines manually out to the point where you want to dim line to appear, then make a Parallel Dim (same as Dim Aligned in AC) at those end points with ZERO spacing (no extension lines).  But before you do that, you'll want to disable "Associative Dimension" checkbox found under Format in the Properties menu of the tool (right click on the tool to find properties).  Otherwise you'll have to break the assiciative link after the fact by selecting the dim and extension lines and clicking the "Drop Link" icon in the local menu (right click after selecting for the local).

Once you have your basic extension line in place with non-associative parallel dimension, you can adjust the appearance of the extension lines by using the Line Length tool.  You can shift the dimension location quickly and effectively by highlighting the dim, typing "D" to move the reference point (snap it to the tip of an arrowhead).  Then you can move the dim to any point on your extension line by typing "N" to snap to the nearest point on the graphic.

Good luck.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* December 21, 2010, 07:58:00 AM
Thanks for the tip. I forgot to say I want the text to be obliqued. It looks nice.

December 21, 2010, 09:05:59 AM
You would need to:

- Open up the Style Manager Palette and add two new Text Styles and set the angles to -30 or 30 degrees.

- Uncheck "Force Text Horizontal" within the dimension's property dialog

- Set the individual dimension's Text Style (Properties dialog/Format) to one of the two new styles

See attached.  Good luck.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com

December 21, 2010, 10:11:58 AM
I don't understand why that is necessary.  I just turned off the Force Text Horizontal button and re-specified the workplane to get this.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

December 21, 2010, 10:27:25 AM
I don't understand why that is necessary.  I just turned off the Force Text Horizontal button and re-specified the workplane to get this.

Jeff

Simple, Jeff...  We're talking about developing Isometric drawings in 2D, not 3D.  I agree that dimensioning in 3D is easier.  But there are folks that still do 2D isometric drawings, and AutoCAD has some very useful tools geared toward that purpose.  TC can do it, but it's a bit harder and slower to do.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:36:49 AM by Josh T. »

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com

December 21, 2010, 04:39:52 PM
... and set the angles to -30 or 30 degrees...

Can you elaborate on that, Josh? Seems like a handy feature to use with drafting pallet's Iso objects

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* December 21, 2010, 06:29:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.

December 21, 2010, 07:03:09 PM
... and set the angles to -30 or 30 degrees...

Can you elaborate on that, Josh? Seems like a handy feature to use with drafting pallet's Iso objects

Sure...   I think the attached image should answer most of your questions.  In it, I have both the Properties dialog open and the Style Manager Palette.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com