TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

turbocad for STL files
Read 5228 times
* December 13, 2010, 04:12:59 PM
I am looking at a budget 3D cad software which will allow the finished file to be saved or converted to a STL file for a prototype model.

I need to redraw a bottle from the original pdf. Following that, I will need to modify some dimensions and features of the container. The finished file to be provided to a RP company who can then produce a model using Stereolithography.

Ideally, the cad software should be able to....
Measure its own lines
Extend a line and redraw (e.g. line is 80mm......click on it and tell it to change to 100mm)
Draw radii based upon 2 positions and radius

Solid view and rotate etc.
work out the volume of the item (e.g. a 10cm * 10cm *10cm cube should be 1000cm3)

The RP company will charge around £500 just to do the cad work, so the more I can do, the better.

Please note, the last cad program I worked with was Autocad 2d (way before 2.5d or 3d was invented!!),

Would Turbocad Deluxe cover my needs, and then use something like meshlab to convert to STL ??

December 13, 2010, 04:29:36 PM
I imagine some of the users here could provide you with a proposal to do the work you are seeking.

To answer your question directly, before you purchase, try downloading a trial version and make a model.  It gives you the opportunity to see if the software is a good match for your previous experience, can do what you expect for the price, and allows for the opportunity to interact with some of the users here in the forum when you have questions.  Many of the users here have a wealth of knowledge that is given freely to those who ask.

Yes a TurboCad solid model can be converted to an .stl file for RP.

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

* December 13, 2010, 05:30:18 PM
STL isn't supported in  Deluxe, and I'm pretty sure Deluxe doesn't do any true 3D solids (more like a "shell").

So you would probably need the Pro version, though maybe not the latest Pro version.

HTH

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* December 13, 2010, 05:40:45 PM
I don't think deluxe does physical properties, so no volume available either.  Deluxe would be a false economy for this work.

* December 13, 2010, 06:00:35 PM
Platinum 17.2 would be the better solution.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison