TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Render with no outside surface
Read 2370 times
* July 01, 2009, 04:44:02 AM
Don't know how to explain this other than show you the outcome.  It seems as if when I subtract the two slots, the render does not create the outside surface.  Can anybody explain what could be happening here.  Using TC 16 Deluxe and starting to get frustrated with it and may upgrade to Pro.

Please ignore the fact that there is a whole bunch of other stuff going on in model space.  This was one of the first drawings I created while learning TC.  Hopefully they don't have an effect on the drawing.  If you delete all of them, except 0, but delete the contents on 0, it doesn't seem to change anything.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:24:57 AM by CoasterGuy2 »

Cameron Blair

July 01, 2009, 06:37:37 AM
Your objects are surfaces; not solids. Generally, I would discourage the use of the thickness parameter.

Hardware: 2.67GHz Core I7-920, 18GB 1333 DDR3, Nvidia Gforce GT 220
Software: TC 2018.25.0.41.0 (64)
Setup: UI: Classic, Editing History: Off, Use Choice: Off, Native Draw: GDI

* July 01, 2009, 06:48:02 AM
Your objects are surfaces; not solids. Generally, I would discourage the use of the thickness parameter.

I've tried doing the subtraction as both objects as TC surfaces, polylines, simple extrudes, extrudes, all sorts of stuff.  And everytime it doesn't do it correctly.  I've noticed it only messes up on the left slot (the one closer to the angled side).  The slot on the right subtracts just fine.  Remember that this is TC Deluxe.

Cameron Blair

July 01, 2009, 09:21:44 AM
I can't go further; I don't have Deluxe. Perhaps someone else will jump in.

Hardware: 2.67GHz Core I7-920, 18GB 1333 DDR3, Nvidia Gforce GT 220
Software: TC 2018.25.0.41.0 (64)
Setup: UI: Classic, Editing History: Off, Use Choice: Off, Native Draw: GDI

* July 01, 2009, 10:51:20 AM
I think your drawing is haunted. I had the same problem as you, but then I copied everything and pasted into an empty new drawing -- and the subtract operation worked fine.

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]

* July 01, 2009, 10:58:59 AM
I think your drawing is haunted. I had the same problem as you, but then I copied everything and pasted into an empty new drawing -- and the subtract operation worked fine.

Henry H

OK.  Thanks.  I've been able to work around this problem a couple of times.  What I ended up doing was slicing the object, copying the right side back to the left side and then unioned them together.  I let you know when I run into a similar case because I know I will.

Cameron Blair