TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Luminances
Read 2460 times
June 29, 2009, 11:38:58 AM
Hi all.

Been driving myself nuts with this for long enough now so time to ask for a little advice.

I have been trying to add an area sky luminance to the window in the attached picture but I am getting lost in all the settings.

I have no problem actually adding a luminance to the object but from there it all goes wrong.  ???

The reference manual has not been very useful for this so can someone point me in the right direction.

all I am aiming to do is to cast a shadow into the room.
the sphere was only added so that I could see if it cast a shadow from the window.

Thanks in advance

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

* June 29, 2009, 12:59:27 PM
I've never gotten satisfactory results with that Luminance.

Henry H

June 29, 2009, 01:45:28 PM
I've never gotten satisfactory results with that Luminance.

Henry H

Do you have a suggestion for something that would work in this situation?
Just noticed a mistake in my last post, should have said that I was aiming to cast a light into the room to create extra shadows.

Regards

Dave

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

* June 29, 2009, 02:58:26 PM
Do you have a suggestion for something that would work in this situation?
Just noticed a mistake in my last post, should have said that I was aiming to cast a light into the room to create extra shadows.

Assuming that you want the light to shine through the glass, try a "Distant" Luminance. Assign it to a separate object. (I recommend a Hemisphere, which you can rotate to aim the light.) In the Luminance properties, enable Shadows. In the row of icons beside Shadow Transparency, enable "On" (the left-hand icon in the row) and disable all the others. Be aware that your shadows will be hard edged; soft but well-defined shadows from a light shining through glass is a kind of Holy Grail that AFAIK nobody has attained yet.

Henry H

June 29, 2009, 04:44:55 PM
Crikey, that image is scarey!

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

June 30, 2009, 04:41:04 AM
Thanks Henry,

I think I am getting somewhere now.

Crikey, that image is scarey!

Lol! You are not seeing the image in context with the rest of the model, but I may shed some light on that in the near future.     ;)

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro