TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

How do I scale many objects to suit only one of them?
Read 2889 times
* June 27, 2009, 11:32:32 AM
Sorry if the subject line doesn't make sense.  I couldn't think of a short way to describe the problem!

It's a little difficult to explain, so I've drawn an example which should be attached if I've done this right (if I've done it wrong, sorry!)

In the example I have two ellipses and two lines.  I want to scale both ellipses by the same amount so that the smaller ellipse fits exactly between the two lines.

If I select both ellipses at the same time, the selection box is as big as the larger ellipse, and resizing (i.e. grabbing one corner of the selection box and dragging it while holding down Shift) will only allow me to resize with reference to the larger ellipse, not the smaller ellipse.

Of course, I can turn the bigger ellipse sideways so that the selection box is only as high as the smaller ellipse and then resize them both at the same time, but that's cheating, and I can't do it in my real drawing without ungrouping lots of objects!

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Chev

[attachment deleted by admin]

* June 27, 2009, 11:55:05 AM
If this is in a Group, use the Ctrl key.

Select the Group normally.
Now hold the Ctrl key and select the ellipse.
Go to the Selection Info palette and click on the "Select" icon.
You can now edit the ellipse, without exploding the Group.
Click outside the Group when finished to return to normal selection.

You can also use "Edit Content" icon to get inside a Group.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 27, 2009, 01:24:06 PM
Thanks John.

That's very close to what I want to do, but not quite (although, it's still something new and useful to me!)

Using your method I can rescale one object within the group, but I want to rescale the whole group so that one of the smaller objects in the group ends up being a particular size.

Sorry if this isn't very clear - I always have trouble explaining these things, which is why I normally draw pictures  ;D

Chev

I'm using TC 16 Deluxe, build 38.

* June 27, 2009, 01:59:39 PM
I want to rescale the whole group so that one of the smaller objects in the group ends up being a particular size.

The brute-force way: Measure the smaller object; calculate the necessary rescale factor; select the group; type the rescale factor in the appropriate Scale box or boxes in the Inspector Bar; hit Enter.

Henry H

* June 27, 2009, 02:48:45 PM
Ah, I had a feeling I might have to resort to that, but as a newbie I was hoping there was some tool that I'd missed which would help do the job.

Thanks for your help guys.  I'm off to do some calculations now!

Chev

* June 27, 2009, 03:03:49 PM
The brute-force way: Measure the smaller object; calculate the necessary rescale factor; select the group; type the rescale factor in the appropriate Scale box or boxes in the Inspector Bar; hit Enter.

Henry H

I like Henry's method, I think it's similar to this. Going from the end of the green line to the red line.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 27, 2009, 08:25:17 PM
Try this: (I'm new to TC16, but this seems to work)

Select both elipses.
Pick the Generic Transformation Tool.
Using Quadrant Point Snap, pick the end of the smaller ellipse.
Snap a point corresponding to line's coords. (I used grid - ortho extended should work if the line isn't on the grid)

* June 28, 2009, 12:53:09 AM
Hi DonMair,

I tried your method and the circles moved onto the lines, but they stayed exactly the same size.  However, because I didn't know you could use the transform objects with 2D drawings, your method did make me try something else:

1.  First I made a group of my circles.
2.  I then moved the reference point of the group to be at the bottom of the smaller circle.
3.  Then, using this new reference point, I moved the whole group and positioned it so that the bottom of the smaller circle sat on the end of the lowest line.
4.  I then clicked on the Scale selected entities tool from the Transform toolbar, anchored the group at the bottom of the small circle, then chose the top of the small circle as the location point and the end of the highest line as the destination point.  A copy of my group then appeared, but the entire thing had been reduced in scale so that the smaller circle fitted exactly between the lines.  Which is exactly what I wanted!

I've added a picture to show what happened.  The first diagram shows the group moved into position, the second shows the Scale tool being used, and the third shows the result after I've moved the original group out of the way.

Thanks everyone.  Wouldn't have got there without your suggestions.

Chev.