TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Can't extrude 3D object with holes in Deluxe?
Read 7128 times
* September 16, 2010, 05:13:09 PM
Trying to do a simple extrude in TC Deluxe 16 with a rectangle with holes in it. Unfortunately, it appears that its not possible to include objects inside the rectangle, which in turn means that you can't extrude say, a board with several holes in it. My work around has been to extrude the board, then extrude the holes, then subtract the holes.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this? Or this just a limitation in Deluxe? There is no "Use Compound Profile" option on my menu, BTW.

Thanks,
Mark
TC Deluxe 16.2

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* September 16, 2010, 05:54:47 PM
Maybe if you hold the shift key down while selecting all the object to Extrude.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 16, 2010, 06:06:21 PM
Trying to do a simple extrude in TC Deluxe 16 with a rectangle with holes in it. Unfortunately, it appears that its not possible to include objects inside the rectangle, which in turn means that you can't extrude say, a board with several holes in it. My work around has been to extrude the board, then extrude the holes, then subtract the holes.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this? Or this just a limitation in Deluxe? There is no "Use Compound Profile" option on my menu, BTW.

Thanks,
Mark
TC Deluxe 16.2

Is  Create Region on your menu?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:32:46 PM by Don Wensrich »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* September 16, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Hello W.D. & Don,

Selecting Simple Extrude deselects the current selection, and after that it will only let you click on one entity.

There is no "Format/Create Region" menu item.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* September 16, 2010, 10:03:08 PM
This is a limitation to Deluxe.

You can lock the extrusion value, then click on each 2D object and hit the "S" key (no Snap) to quickly extrude each part.
When you go to 3D Subtract, here you can hold the Shift key to select all you the subtraction items.
Click on "Finish Selection" from the Local Menu or Inspector Bar.
Everything is done.

EDIT: You could create a Region by doing a 2D Subtract, but this no longer extrudes (Deluxe or Pro) like it did in earlier versions. You have to use "Thickness" on the "3D" page in Properties.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:10:45 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* September 17, 2010, 09:50:26 AM
Hi John,

EDIT: You could create a Region by doing a 2D Subtract, but this no longer extrudes (Deluxe or Pro) like it did in earlier versions. You have to use "Thickness" on the "3D" page in Properties.
Thanks John!

In particular for this last suggestion. Previously, if I wanted to redo the extrusion thickness, I would have had to basically start over from scratch.

When I try to do the 2D subtract, it won't let me shift-select to cut multiple holes at once. Is that a known problem?

Thanks!

TCW Pro 14.2

* September 17, 2010, 04:18:46 PM
re: ...it won't let me shift-select to cut multiple holes at once.

Unfortunately, 2D Subtract doesn't work the same way the 3D Subtract does. After comparing Pro and Deluxe, 2D Subtract in Deluxe is horrible.

In Pro, you would select the rectangle, then choose "Finish selecting". Now you can use the Shift key to select the all the circles, then choose "Finish selecting" again.
In Deluxe, you get to subtract one circle  from the rectangle at a time, plus you have to re-activate the 2D Subtract tool to subtract again. Very unfriendly to the user in my opinion.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* September 18, 2010, 10:30:22 AM

Unfortunately, 2D Subtract doesn't work the same way the 3D Subtract does. After comparing Pro and Deluxe, 2D Subtract in Deluxe is horrible.
So far my experience with TC Deluxe has been dismal.

Navigating in 3D space is the worst part, as you click back and forth on the walk-through palette trying to get a view that won't spin you away from the object of interest. Maybe there's a trick to it, but no tutorial on 3D navigation was included. None of the tutorials I could find on youtube dealt with this very basic concern. When you're placing objects, you need to keep moving back and forth, but this becomes tedious when the tools for moving keep twisting everything away from you every time you change the view slightly.

I have a long list of other problems, but guess I'll hold off for now.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* September 18, 2010, 10:57:47 AM

So far my experience with TC Deluxe has been dismal.

I have a long list of other problems, but guess I'll hold off for now.

Mark

http://www.cadandgraphics.com/tcpro15.html?gclid=CPbZ5orFkaQCFR9UgwodcCsQHA

Mark,

There is v.15 pro for a very reasonable cost

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* September 18, 2010, 01:17:52 PM
I rarely use the Walkthrough Tools and rely on the Dynamic controls (hold the wheel down along with a particular Key). The Additional Devices Setup page should explain it. V16 Deluxe doesn't have the dialog shown, but the various Dynamic commands should work with a normal mouse.

I will dynamically zoom in/out a little, then I can get the view to rotate (dynamic examine) without going out of view. Another command that sometimes helps is "View / Camera / Look To Drawing Center".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* September 18, 2010, 09:41:44 PM
I rarely use the Walkthrough Tools and rely on the Dynamic controls (hold the wheel down along with a particular Key). The Additional Devices Setup page should explain it. V16 Deluxe doesn't have the dialog shown, but the various Dynamic commands should work with a normal mouse.

I will dynamically zoom in/out a little, then I can get the view to rotate (dynamic examine) without going out of view. Another command that sometimes helps is "View / Camera / Look To Drawing Center".
Yes, I'm actually using the dynamic wheel, though the dynamic settings are not mentioned in the device setup. But its just plain eccentric and badly behaved. Sometimes it will work just like you expect, but then the next time, it will bend and turn and waste 10 minutes of time just trying to view some aspect. I've played with workspace, camera and work plan settings, and can't figure out what the heck it wants.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

September 18, 2010, 10:27:26 PM
Yes, I'm actually using the dynamic wheel, though the dynamic settings are not mentioned in the device setup. But its just plain eccentric and badly behaved. Sometimes it will work just like you expect, but then the next time, it will bend and turn and waste 10 minutes of time just trying to view some aspect. I've played with workspace, camera and work plan settings, and can't figure out what the heck it wants.

I agree.  It is aggravating to do a fly-by.  Only the Slide and Roll commands work reliably without playing with the Camera setting, even when Auto-Targeting is set.  Examine is the worst of the rest, but not by much.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1