TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Text height is not height of text
Read 5206 times
* June 24, 2009, 09:38:32 AM
Hi All,

I inserted some text and leaders in model space with the text height set at 2.5 feet, knowing that would give me 1/8" text size (minimum allowed) in the 1"=20' paper space... but it didn't.  Also I checked text inserted into paper space at 14pt height and it also did not measure correctly (1pt=1/72", measured upper-most to lower-most text ends)

It seems the text "height" setting is for the height of the text box, not the height of the actual text.  Has anyone found a way to change the text box height to match the text height in order to get around this bug?

As the height of the actual text is the important factor, not the text box height, why was the software set up this way???

* June 24, 2009, 09:50:21 AM
Under 'Options/Space Units' set the 'Text Height...' to Character Height...'.

Check your text height in the pulldown at the top of the screen or in the Selection Info Palette before and after changing the setting, and you will notice how the text size changes. You will have to change/update your text to the correct size after you change the setting.

Not sure if this is your problem, but worth a try.

Greg

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:59:44 AM by GregT »

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* June 24, 2009, 10:21:09 AM
Thank you Greg,
that works!  Never noticed that before

* June 24, 2009, 10:41:45 AM
No problem...   ;D

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* June 24, 2009, 03:27:42 PM
Hi All,
the problem is happening again.  When I reopened the file (see other post regarding the Selection Info crashes), I find that the "Options", "Space Units", "Text Height By" has changed back to "by text box height".  I had to fix text heights all over again, despite earlier saves

Is there a way to change this as a default so it stays "by character height" each time the program opens?  There no longer appears to be a TC Explorer in version 16

* June 24, 2009, 03:37:18 PM
re: There no longer appears to be a TC Explorer in version 16

If TCExplorer isn't listed in the View menu, then I would reinstall TurboCAD. Sounds like something got corrupted.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 24, 2009, 04:44:53 PM
Leader text is still changing itself, both in size and font.  For example 2 ft high text becomes 2.18' high and the font changes from Arial to *dim.shx.  Could this be caused by the "text style" default of DIMTEXT?  Should I change the text style to something else?  I have changed every font option in TC Explorer to Arial, but it still keeps changing to *dim.shx.  The program seems possessed!  Not making much forward progress on this drawing...

Duncan

June 24, 2009, 04:47:43 PM
Leader text is still changing itself, both in size and font.  For example 2 ft high text becomes 2.18' high and the font changes from Arial to *dim.shx.  Could this be caused by the "text style" default of DIMTEXT?  Should I change the text style to something else?  I have changed every font option in TC Explorer to Arial, but it still keeps changing to *dim.shx.  The program seems possessed!  Not making much forward progress on this drawing...

Duncan

Duncan, are you working in TurboCAD's native .tcw format? If not, you should be. Saving to a different format should be the last thing done before sending your files off.

* June 24, 2009, 05:03:58 PM
Hi Don,
yes this drawing is in native TCW.  I usually go straight from TCW format to pdf and send pdf to the print shop for copies.  I have had so many problems saving as a dwg with TC16, that I have given up - too many things change (text, dimensions, hatches...).

Duncan

* June 26, 2009, 06:22:53 AM
Hi All,
I think I may have figured this out, though have not found a solution.  The drawing file includes a topo survey from a surveyor using Autocad.  For some reason, I think the original dwg file is overriding the TC text settings and using DIMTEXT.shx as the default font, even though the TC program font default is set to Arial font.  I still don't know why the text font and size change automatically after I have saved the leader text at the correct size and font....

Duncan

* June 26, 2009, 04:25:50 PM
Any chance you can send me both the TCW before you imported teh surveyor's file along with their file?  So that we can understand the sequence of events and be able to fully test?  In the meantime I will do some testing of this between TCW and ACAD.

* June 26, 2009, 05:07:42 PM
OK, I just did a striaght import from a simple DWG drawing into a TCW.
Both have a default style named "Standard" and the text heights remained in tact.
I will continue testing from my end.