TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Could use some help with layer sets
Read 2276 times
* June 20, 2009, 03:17:29 PM
Hi,

I've used TC for years and years and never explored these (or templates either).  I've been trying to get somewhere with it and I'm flummoxed.  I looked in Geoff's FAQ and didn't see anything.  Is there a primer on this somewhere?  The docs are a dead end (at least for me).

June 22, 2009, 08:54:27 AM

Hi,

I've used TC for years and years and never explored these (or templates either).  I've been trying to get somewhere with it and I'm flummoxed.  I looked in Geoff's FAQ and didn't see anything.  Is there a primer on this somewhere?  The docs are a dead end (at least for me).

JRH,

I have used layer sets since V8, but their functionally changed in V14.3.  That is when Layer Templates were added and they can only be used from the Design Director.  If you want to set up layer configurations for a unique project, then use layer sets which are accessed from the Options/layers menu.  If you want to set up layer configurations that you will use on multiple projects then use Layer Templates from the Design Director, but in my opinion, don't try to use both as it will be confusing, they work differently, and are not interactive.  I use Layer Templates but I will try to describe how Layer Sets work as they are the most basic.  I hope others will chime in as well.

Go to Options/Layers and click on the "create set" icon which is at the top to the right of the "layer set" window.   You will be prompted to name the new layer set, name it and click OK.  You will see the list of layers greyed out except for the visibility column.  Set the visibility of each layer as you wish.  Click the button "all by set" at the lower right and then click the "all layers" in the layer set window at the top. Close the dialog and go to the drawing and your layers will be set as per the layer set.  Each time you select a layer set you must click "all by set" and then "all layers" or things won't work right.

Layer Templates are much more powerful as they set more than visibility, but for them to work right you must have the master layer list and the layers in the templates match exactly.  Layer Templates can be saved as templates and recalled for another job and they are accessed from the Design Director which is much more convenient but they do have some bugs. You also must load them one at a time rather than batch loading of a group of templates which is a pain.

As I mentioned before they are not interactive with the layer sets which in my opinion they should be and were until V14.3.
Hope this helps.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* June 22, 2009, 10:41:18 AM

Hi,

JRH,

I have used layer sets since V8, but their functionally changed in V14.3.  That is when Layer Templates were added and they can only be used from the Design Director.  If you want to set up layer configurations for a unique project, then use layer sets which are accessed from the Options/layers menu.  If you want to set up layer configurations that you will use on multiple projects then use Layer Templates from the Design Director, but in my opinion, don't try to use both as it will be confusing, they work differently, and are not interactive.  I use Layer Templates but I will try to describe how Layer Sets work as they are the most basic.  I hope others will chime in as well.

Go to Options/Layers and click on the "create set" icon which is at the top to the right of the "layer set" window.   You will be prompted to name the new layer set, name it and click OK.  You will see the list of layers greyed out except for the visibility column.  Set the visibility of each layer as you wish.  Click the button "all by set" at the lower right and then click the "all layers" in the layer set window at the top. Close the dialog and go to the drawing and your layers will be set as per the layer set.  Each time you select a layer set you must click "all by set" and then "all layers" or things won't work right.

Layer Templates are much more powerful as they set more than visibility, but for them to work right you must have the master layer list and the layers in the templates match exactly.  Layer Templates can be saved as templates and recalled for another job and they are accessed from the Design Director which is much more convenient but they do have some bugs. You also must load them one at a time rather than batch loading of a group of templates which is a pain.

As I mentioned before they are not interactive with the layer sets which in my opinion they should be and were until V14.3.
Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the reply and info.  I was afraid this thread would slip down into oblivion.

I'll take your instructions and play around with this and see what I get.

I had thought that the term 'layer template' was just a terminology change that had not made it into the doc.  Obviously that's not the case.  I searched the old forum and realized that things changed with DD a bit ago.  That's a shame because sets would be easier to use (once I know how) from DD. 

Once I get somewhere with sets, I'll try to tackle templates, although most of my drawings are unique and I don't see offhand where a master template concept would help me, but I'll get to know more about it anyway.

Thanks again.

June 22, 2009, 12:18:33 PM
The changes in DD, I think were to make TC more compatible with AC Architectural Desk top.  If you figure out layer sets and find them useful, add your voice to seeing layer sets controlled from the Design Director. 

You can now make templates of layer sets but it is kind of convoluted.  I would not want to loose the ability to make the templates but would like to gain back the ability to control of layer sets from DD.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle