TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

.tcd to .tcw converter
Read 7022 times
* June 21, 2010, 09:51:52 AM
I'm looking for the above, does anybody have any suggestions? I have some files I need to access.

Thanks in advance!

* June 21, 2010, 12:04:17 PM
What is *.TCD? Are these old TurboCAD for DOS files? If so, maybe Version 2 would open and convert them.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 21, 2010, 12:12:33 PM
That is correct, Turbocad for dos. Is there anywhere I can (legally) get a copy of version 2 in order to convert?

* June 21, 2010, 12:25:21 PM
See the message in the topic below. I don't have access to my old computer at the moment, so I'm not sure if V2 can actually convert, but it's worth a try.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2298.msg12126.html#msg12126

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* June 21, 2010, 02:14:09 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

* June 21, 2010, 02:28:24 PM
I finally got access to the other 'puter. "File / Open" in V2 says it will open:
TCW
SLW
INT
DXF
PLT
TCD
DAT
TSL

It appears you may be in luck.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* December 12, 2011, 06:10:50 PM
I need to move my old *.tcd files from my V3.1 to my V7.1.... but V3.1 does not allow to "save as" any file but TCD!!! any suggestions?
I have a copy of V3.1 if anyone wants it [I LIKE the dos version for some reason...].... I can post it somewhere if this forum allows/has such a file location...

* December 12, 2011, 11:00:04 PM
re: …but V3.1 does not allow to "save as" any file but TCD!!!

You may want to try TurboCAD V2 (Windows), available via the link above, to convert your TCD files to TCW.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* February 06, 2016, 09:11:06 AM
I used v2.1 to convert my old V3.1 file to a useable .tcw file right after you replied to my post ....THX!!! but then encountered a few other problems with the new file in V7.1 actually not used since posting the orig. message]:
1] all layers were 'converted' to a single black color; is that usual? guess I can go in and change them to whatever colors i want ......
2] 'zoom' will only go in the "-"/smaller direction, not increase/"zoom in" in the model space; but it will work in both directions when in the paper space view; also i found if i use the "zoom window" in model space it will zoom in... suggestions on these issues?
3]lastly today I hit "zoom extents" in model space and I LOST my drawing totally [I can still see it in the correct size, etc in paper space ]....... how do I get back to the 0-0 coordinate / center where I have it originally drawn?

* February 06, 2016, 01:16:50 PM
  • The color coming up as Black is probably normal back then, 20 years ago.
  • Zoom not zooming as expected usually means you have some space dust way out in the drawing.
    When zoomed all the way out, do a "Select All" and see where the selection nodes appear.
    Hold the Shift key and drag the Selection tool over the area that your drawing is located.
    This will deselect your drawing and leave the rest selected.
    Delete.
  • If you have "Named Views", use one to get back to that area.
    Another option to try is the "Home" key to put the 0,0 coordinates in the center of your screen,
    then use "Zoom Printed Size" to bring you in to 100%.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* February 22, 2016, 08:32:24 AM
  • The color coming up as Black is probably normal back then, 20 years ago.
  • Zoom not zooming as expected usually means you have some space dust way out in the drawing.
    When zoomed all the way out, do a "Select All" and see where the selection nodes appear.
    Hold the Shift key and drag the Selection tool over the area that your drawing is located.
    This will deselect your drawing and leave the rest selected.
    Delete.
  • If you have "Named Views", use one to get back to that area.
    Another option to try is the "Home" key to put the 0,0 coordinates in the center of your screen,
    then use "Zoom Printed Size" to bring you in to 100%.
ACTUALLY V3.x had all the colors current versions have now; but the converted file made them all black regardless of layer [I'll just change them as needed, so not really a problem].
I did find some 'space dust' & deleted it; but the zoom IN still did not work.... so guess I can only use the Zoom window tool.
Lastly, the conversion made my 3/16" = 1'0" scale used to draw my house plan [there was no 'paper space' window that scaled the actual/drawn size down for printing!] to change in the V7 copy to 'full size' or 3/16 of the real size; is there a way to redraw the new drawing version to be 64 times bigger [to be in full size in model space]?

* February 22, 2016, 09:23:18 AM
I did find some 'space dust' & deleted it; but the zoom IN still did not work.... so guess I can only use the Zoom window tool.

How are you zooming in, I have some problem with an early TC version where the zoom just by using mouse wheel won't work properly, I have to use the ctrl + mouse wheel (a problem with my Microsoft mouse).

You could try posting a file and see if anyone can check it.