TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Joining Polylines
Read 2130 times
* June 17, 2009, 07:22:41 PM
I have a series of lines and arcs that I want to join into a polyline in order to create a 3D extrude.  All of the arcs and lines are co-planer and, as far as I can tell, form a closed object.  When I 2D Join Polyline them, it excludes a long chain of the geometry and yields a partial open poly line.  If I 3D Join Polyline them, I get the closed polyline I am looking for.  Given the difference between 2D and 3D Join Polyline explained in the manual, I suspect that the excluded objects in the 2D case are somehow part of a different work plane or something that prevents them from joining, yet by every other indication, all parts are coplaner.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

* June 19, 2009, 07:47:22 AM
First, to make certain they are truly co-planar, select them all and choose Format|Place on workplane.
Next, carefully examine each place where they should join - they must truly join and not overlap.
Join polyline should now work.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* June 22, 2009, 04:20:28 AM
Thanks!  When I use Format->Place on Workframe, TC allies unpredictable rotations and/or transformations to my geometry - any idea on how to control this?

* June 22, 2009, 07:30:21 AM
If they're all on differing planes, they'll be scattered unpredictably when you FPOWP.  If they're on the same plane, they'll retain alignment to one another when you do.  When it starts to get this complicated, it's often a lot quicker to trace a fresh polyline, or polyline segments on the same plane that CAN be joined afterwards, over what you've already got, using running snaps.

* June 24, 2009, 05:17:35 AM
Thanks you all for your valuable insights.