TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Print ONLY selected area of drawing
Read 14172 times
* June 17, 2009, 04:56:13 AM
Hi Everyone (my setup is shown under my signature)
I have tried to find this answer in this forum and using TC help but cannot (probably not seeing the wood for the trees).
How do I print to scale a small selection of a drawing onto an A4 sheet.
I do not want the whole drawing on seperate pages which I believe 'Tile' will do.
The drawing in question is a .tcw in Model space (paper space is blank).
Thank you in anticipation.

* June 17, 2009, 05:57:38 AM
How do I print to scale a small selection of a drawing onto an A4 sheet.
I do not want the whole drawing on seperate pages which I believe 'Tile' will do.
The drawing in question is a .tcw in Model space (paper space is blank).
Thank you in anticipation.
Create a Viewport of the section you want to print, then switch to Paper Space, choose "Insert!Viewport", define the viewport position on the paperspace layout (note: you may have to set the correct orientation for the Printer Paper and the Drawing Sheet in "Page Setup"), then specify the name of the viewport you want. Right-click to get Properties, choose Viewport, tick "Fixed scale" and then choose "1:1".
Then print it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

June 17, 2009, 02:48:35 PM
For printing to scale in model space, first make sure perspective is off. Select whatever scale you wish in Page Setup/Paper. Adjust the origin in Page Setup/Layout, bottom left corner of your page will be at origin coordinates. Change Rows & Columns to "1" if they're not already
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:19:58 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

June 18, 2009, 11:32:02 AM
If you still can't print to scale, look at the fixed check box on the format viewport dialog. It is probably not checked and should be.

Bill Cain, S.E., C.E.
Berkeley, CA
TC v20 Platinum
Win 7 (desktop) Win 8 (laptop)
User since v4

* June 19, 2009, 04:29:41 AM
lemel_man
Thank you I did all of that but still cannot print to scale.
I've just clobbered this tutorial together.
I hope it helps.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

June 19, 2009, 10:57:06 PM
Julian Regrettably I do not understand your advise.
Sorry...must be my accent.

The other guys are explaining how to print from paper space and their advice is sound, however Quintain, you asked how to print from model space - my advice stands. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Fact is...you should be printing from paper space not model space.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* June 22, 2009, 03:57:34 PM
The above help is sound and good. I just thought that I would chime in with what I do if I want a fast to a certain scale print of a portion of a drawing. I select the items I want to print, copy (ctrl+c), open a new drawing, paste (ctrl+v), render if necessary, click printer icon on upper tool bar, go into page setup to select specific scale.
Kent

* June 22, 2009, 09:20:38 PM
re: Print "only" the selected area of a drawing

There is a Print Selection option in the Print dialog to do what you're asking. If you go to Page Setup, you can set the scale for your selection. I believe the 10 inch line scaled properly. Something to experiment with. While this is good for something quick, I think you're better off with Viewports in Paperspace.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 30, 2009, 11:58:10 PM
Gary; I have tried repeatedly to follow your pdf instructions, which again I thank you for but regrettably I still cannot print a small section to scale as per my original question.
Hi Quintain,
This is very mysterious.
What scale are you using in model space? It should really be actual size.
What scale do you want on the printed page, and what scale do you actually get?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

July 01, 2009, 01:36:20 PM
Quintain,

I think that TC always draws in real world dimensions in Model Space.  I am not sure you can change that.  lemel_man's tutorial is right on.  I would only add that if a 1:1 scale does not show you can type it in and TC will scale the viewport to that scale.  Try typing in 1mm = 1mm or 1" = 1" or even some odd scale like 1m = 2.5 mm and TC will scale the viewport to that scale.  You can type in the scale you want as an expression or choose from one of the preset scales.

I agree with the other opinions that printing from paperspace is the best.  Gives you control over your sheet size, scale, and visible layers ahead of time.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle